Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers An "Entertaining Mess"

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers An "Entertaining Mess"

According to the Cleveland media:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...ae04&ei=14

Umm, pot...kettle...black...

Steelers? New Quarterback Room Gets Beat Down By Cleveland Media; Calls Pittsburgh An 'Entertaining Mess'
    Story by Anthony G. Halkias II, Steeler Nation ? 1h ? 3 min read

The Pittsburgh Steelers' quarterback room saw a massive upgrade over the 2024 offseason. While many in the media believe the Steelers improved drastically, one media member who covers the Cleveland Browns thinks the Steelers actually got worse by moving on from Kenny Pickett.
    The Steelers made significant quarterback moves, as they traded Pickett, allowed Mason Rudolph to depart in free agency and released Mitch Trubisky. They also signed Russell Wilson to a one-year deal at the veteran minimum and acquired Justin Fields via a trade, a promising 25-year-old quarterback once hailed as the future of the Chicago Bears. While many have lauded the excitement and value these acquisitions bring, not everyone is convinced that the Steelers have improved with their new quarterbacks.
    Dave Bacon and Quincy Carrier, hosts of a show on Cleveland.com, delved into discussions about their AFC North rivals, particularly focusing on the Steelers and their offseason maneuvers. Bacon posed a question to Carrier, inquiring about the increased potency of the Steelers' offense following the departure of Pickett. Carrier answered Bacon's question with an example involving the Browns previous quarterback struggles.

?When the Browns moved on from Johnny Manziel and Josh McCown and brought in Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan, they did get better. It didn?t matter.?

Carrier referenced Johnny Manziel and Josh McCown, former quarterbacks on the Browns roster who failed to meet expectations. He highlighted how the Browns believed they had made improvements by bringing in upgrades, yet ultimately remained unsuccessful. Despite their efforts to upgrade, the Browns continued to struggle, demonstrating that mere changes in personnel didn't significantly alter their performance.

"Not every upgrade at quarterback is clean, and also, I would question: Can Russ play better quarterback than Kenny Pickett? Sure. But does having Russ and the baggage it entails, as your quarterback, take you away from playing Pittsburgh football? Does it actually make you a worse team?"

Carrier's belief is that naming Wilson as the starter actually diminishes Pittsburgh's performance. His argument centers around the notion that under Pickett, the Steelers had the freedom to execute their offense as they pleased. However, with Wilson, that flexibility is lost, leading to a departure from traditional Pittsburgh football strategies.

?At least with Kenny you can run the ball as much as you want and you don?t have to worry about anybody complaining about anything because it?s Kenny Pickett and ain?t nobody care what he thinks.?

Bacon countered Carrier's sentiments by emphasizing the significance of the Mike Tomlin factor. However, Carrier rebutted, expressing skepticism towards praising Tomlin, asserting that he hasn't been the guiding force for the Steelers in recent seasons. In fact, Carrier went so far as to characterize the Steelers as an "entertaining mess".

While Carrier wasn't quick to praise Tomlin, he did acknowledge Tomlin's credit for maintaining a streak of never having a losing season and consistently keeping the Steelers competitive. However, Carrier holds the belief that Tomlin may not be the ideal candidate to manage the Steelers' new quarterback situation.

Steelers' Russell Wilson Is The Designated Starter
    The Steelers hinted that Wilson would be the 2024 starter right after his signing, and the Pickett trade enhanced that despite the Fields trade. Media rumors persist, however, suggesting Fields could potentially oust him, even leading to Wilson's release if outplayed in preseason.

Though the Steelers downplay their quarterback competition, it's actually a favorable predicament. Unlike debating Trubisky, Pickett, or Rudolph, it's between a 35-year-old NFL veteran with two recent down seasons. Yet, he is still boasting 42 touchdown passes in those down years and a Super Bowl title earlier in his career.

Alternatively, if Wilson falls short, they have a 25-year-old renowned as one of the league's premier athletes. Comparing Wilson and Fields to lesser quarterbacks like Cody Kessler or Kevin Hogan doesn't hold much weight. Regardless, the Steelers are better equipped for a Super Bowl run now. With 10 wins last year, imagine their potential with Wilson or Fields?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Browns quarterback room is equally entertaining especially if you enjoy crab legs and happy endings.
    Obviously the standard is the standard.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Cleveland media is talking about other teams quarterback rooms???

Legend

User Info Menu

Browns gonna brown
    2024 Draft
    1) Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington
    2) Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3a) Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3b) Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina St.

Mock for rounds 4-7
    4) Cedric Gray, LB, North Carolina
    6a) Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa
    6b) MJ Devonshire, CB, Pitt

Legend

User Info Menu

I could see if Cincinnati made this joke but Cleveland?? Same Cleveland who just had Flacco at QB and now has Jameis?

I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

thanks Cleveland for the good laugh.

you have been entertaining us seemingly forever with your QB situation.

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

while it does come down to performance on the field - the Steelers have the cheapest offense in the league by far thanks to rookie contracts. The browns, with the addition of their new WR have huge money tied up in just two players - and Watson hasn't exactly lived up to the deal yet and Jeudy is being trashed as a horrible WR not worth the money. So they can say what they want, but if we have to make a change because it doesn't work out - we won't be punished for the next several years. Cleveland is stuck with their decisions and cap hits for the near future. It's an anchor around their neck.

and I love it.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

In other news, the Venezuelan press calls Haiti a "roiling sh!thole".

Legend

User Info Menu

Funny thing is that I can understand the arguments both for and against the Steelers moving on from Pickett, Trubisky, and Rudolph, and bringing in Wilson and Fields. For the life of me, I can't understand the idea of trading all those draft picks and giving all of that guaranteed money to Deshean Watson.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Funny thing is that I can understand the arguments both for and against the Steelers moving on from Pickett, Trubisky, and Rudolph, and bringing in Wilson and Fields. For the life of me, I can't understand the idea of trading all those draft picks and giving all of that guaranteed money to Deshean Watson.
    Typical of an owner that thinks he can buy a championship. Snyder in Washington was another one of those with some of the FA signings they did.

Funniest part of all of it is Browns letting Mayfield go and he promptly takes TB to a playoff game. And now he's playing for half of what Watson is costing the Browns....