Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers plan to re-sign Russell Wilson to longer contract after 2024 season

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What if Fields outplays Russ in camp? Do we still give the ball to Russ like we did with Mitch?

We don?t have to give Fields a 5th year. Can we sign him for cheaper if he doesn?t play? Will he want to stay if Russ gets another year?

Who knows..
    Personally, I hope Fields does outplay him in camp and we can ride that horse for a few years. But, as of now, based on statements made, it seems the job is Wilson's to lose and I don't know if the coaching staff will come off of their predetermined QB1 unless fields absolutely blows it up in camp.

The who knows part is what I'm talking about. It would suck to be back in this position again next year with a one year older Wilson and an unknown in Fields because he didn't get reps. He's young, he will want to play totry and get a payday.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    If Wilson is healthy, you make a judgement on him. If you like what he does stay with him. If you don?t you give Fields a modest 2 year extension. Take a QB at 1. Fields gets to increase his value for a BIG payday to follow and we get him cheap. All the while we have taken another shot at a rookie to develop.
    What if Wilson is healthy and the Steelers are 8-9, 9-8 or 10-7 and Fields didn't get to play? Good enough to pay Wilson? Move off of him to Fields?
    I guess based on age, I'd rather see Fields play, he has 3 years under his belt, its not like he's a rookie. He's been around the speed of the game so playing him shouldn't be like playing a rookie.
    I suppose camp will help sort things out but its not like a live NFL regular season game as we saw last year when the defense didn't plan and played basic football, Pickett looked very good and then the regular season started.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Personally, I hope Fields does outplay him in camp and we can ride that horse for a few years. But, as of now, based on statements made, it seems the job is Wilson's to lose and I don't know if the coaching staff will come off of their predetermined QB1 unless fields absolutely blows it up in camp.

The who knows part is what I'm talking about. It would suck to be back in this position again next year with a one year older Wilson and an unknown in Fields because he didn't get reps. He's young, he will want to play totry and get a payday.

Pappy
    Fields WONT get a payday right now because he has little value. He needs a short prove it extension.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    What if Wilson is healthy and the Steelers are 8-9, 9-8 or 10-7 and Fields didn't get to play? Good enough to pay Wilson? Move off of him to Fields?
    I guess based on age, I'd rather see Fields play, he has 3 years under his belt, its not like he's a rookie. He's been around the speed of the game so playing him shouldn't be like playing a rookie.
    I suppose camp will help sort things out but its not like a live NFL regular season game as we saw last year when the defense didn't plan and played basic football, Pickett looked very good and then the regular season started.

Pappy
    In your initial scenario moving from Russ is an easy call.

Gotta start with Russ because I would suggest we could compete THIS YEAR with what he did LAST SEASON.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-19-2024 at 10:49 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

I am going to repeat what I have been saying. Not only will Wilson NEVER AGAIN be paid big bucks, I just feel like he will CHOSE to accept a lower offer IF it looks like we can win a ring.

Russ has made his money, he is playing for legacy. What IF we get to the AFCCG maximizing his value?

If we offer a max of 25 million, does he want to bounce to end his career a loser, hurting his HOF prospects?

I will continue saying this, I believe Russ talked about what he wants long term and it aint maximizing his pay.
    I can?t see a third team offering Russ huge dollars based on how it ended for him the last 2 places.

This is also why I think Mason got peanuts. We won with average QB play. I don?t think anyone is going to be fooled by Wilson having success in Pittsburgh.. I think we can get him at 2/50 if we extended him.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Im fairly certain how this will roll. Wilson gets the start no matter how Fields plays in camp. Russ doesnt turn the ball over much. Thats Tomlins MO. But the Steelers are not stupid and they know Wilson is close to washed. They also know Wilson will be at bare minimum somewhat pricey to sign. 30-40 million per year. You can claim that won?t happen but if Wilson plays good enough for us to try to sign him theres a market. So this is more about Fields and taking a flier on a guy with all world talent who has not been consistent but costs little to see if he can break some bad habits. If I am a betting man I say Russ is a one and done and Fields shows enough to be developed. We sign Fields to a 3 year 15 million dollar contract and his backup will likely be Rattler or Pratt from the draft this year.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    exactly.

$20M/year is Mason Rudolph money.
    Actually we know what Mason Rudolph money is.
    The 3.6 million he signed for.

Then again my “townie” brother I went to Castle. On the Windward side we know math.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

In the last week, I think I've learned that I'm going to stay away from predicting the Steelers QB room developments for a little while.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Im fairly certain how this will roll. Wilson gets the start no matter how Fields plays in camp. Russ doesnt turn the ball over much. Thats Tomlins MO. But the Steelers are not stupid and they know Wilson is close to washed. They also know Wilson will be at bare minimum somewhat pricey to sign. 30-40 million per year. You can claim that won?t happen but if Wilson plays good enough for us to try to sign him theres a market. So this is more about Fields and taking a flier on a guy with all world talent who has not been consistent but costs little to see if he can break some bad habits. If I am a betting man I say Russ is a one and done and Fields shows enough to be developed. We sign Fields to a 3 year 15 million dollar contract and his backup will likely be Rattler or Pratt from the draft this year.
    Your Buckeye blindness is showing again my brother.

So Fields takes over next season no matter what happens?

Let me get this right. “We” know Russ is washed but THE LEAGUE does not? You just made my point that NOBODY will pay him big bucks again.

All any success he has will only show he can win WITH US.

Heck WE are the ONE TEAM that could have any incentive to pay big if we go far with him. He would have DONE IT with us. And THAT would be stupid as we’d shed talent to do it and he’d struggle with us.

Not one of you who thinks Wilson would get paid would suggest it is a smart move. You ALL know it would be foolish.

Wilson will NEVER make the big bucks again. If he does well we will keep him for “receiver money”.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-19-2024 at 11:41 AM.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Your Buckeye blindness is showing again my brother.

So “we” know Russ is washed but THE LEAGUE does not? You just made my point that NOBODY will pay him big bucks again.

All any success he has will only show he can win WITH US.

Heck WE are the ONE TEAM that could have any incentive to do it if we go far with him. And THAT would be stupid as we’d shed talent to do it and he’d struggle with us.

Not one of you who thinks Wilson would get paid would suggest it is a smart move. You ALL know it would be foolish.

Wilson will NEVER make the big bucks again.
    All it takes is one but I agree, I don’t see any team wanting to be handcuffed by Russ again. Dude could win 13 games for us and unless he is throwing 45 TD’s and found the fountain of youth most FO’s know that 3 more wins for us is not going fool them again.

Maybe the Raiders are dumb enough to do a Cousins deal but I have a sneaky suspicion ATL is going to regret the Cousins contract.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"