Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers plan to re-sign Russell Wilson to longer contract after 2024 season

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    exactly.

$20M/year is Mason Rudolph money.
    LOL.

But seriously, $20M/year is high end wideout money. Not high end QB money.

And all I'm saying is that if we're going to lock up Russ on a longer-term deal, we should have some kind of idea that he's going to be playing at a level that COULD help us win a super bowl throughout the duration of that deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Russ was GREATLY overpaid for who he is. He has NEVER carried a team to the SB to be worth that much.

Russ has won a Superbowl.
    He had 26 TDs and 9 picks

Last season
    Russ had 26 touchdowns and 8 picks

We had 10 wins with HALF the level of QB scoring that Wilson can bring.

He can and HAS provided COMPETENT QB play (Rooneys expectation) on a championship team so long and HIS PAY does not kill the cap.
    Correct, it was 29 to 0 before Russ threw a TD pass in the first SB. D had a pick 6, safety and an 87 yard kick return. They also had 2 FG?s.

One of the most lopsided SB?s in the history of the SB.

He also threw a pick in his second SB that lost the game.

I like Russ but I?m not expecting him to carry this team to the SB. He just needs to not lose games with turnovers. He fumbled a lot the last 2 seasons.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-18-2024 at 08:45 PM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I like Russ but I?m not expecting him to carry this team to the SB. He just needs to not lose games with turnovers. He fumbled a lot the last 2 seasons.
    So, if that's the kind of expectation from Russ, why would we want to lock him up on a longer term deal? I'd rather throw fields out there and hope his ceiling is higher. Or draft someone this season and see if we can hit the lottery.

I'm not very excited about a multi-year contract for Wilson if our plan with him is to tell him not to turn the ball over and play safe.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    So, if that's the kind of expectation from Russ, why would we want to lock him up on a longer term deal? I'd rather throw fields out there and hope his ceiling is higher. Or draft someone this season and see if we can hit the lottery.

I'm not very excited about a multi-year contract for Wilson if our plan with him is to tell him not to turn the ball over and play safe.
    Because if Russ is consistent he can help us get to a SB much cheaper than Dak and Cousins.

Fields is not consistent at all. I’ve seen him play some bad football, but also have a few nice runs that remind you of Kordell.

I think we play Russ, Fields sits AND we draft Penix if he falls.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Teams pay QBs all the time for who they aren't. Compare Russell Wilson's stats last year to Kirk Cousins. Tell me why they are so different.

If Russ matches those stats with the Steelers and takes us to the AFC Championship game, he's going to want more than $20M/year.
    And I would take Wilson every day over Cousins without question. I've seen Wilson play more than probably anyone else on here, the guy was and possibly could still be elite. He simply played in a ball control offense under a conservative HC and some questionable OC's. His TD/INT is 334/106, that is elite. He has proven to be a championship level QB which is a rare commodity in the NFL.

What happened with him in Seattle is the team essentially picked Carroll over Wilson which was a big mistake imo.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm curious about the contracts for Wilson and Fields along with their ages. Each quarterback is on a 1 year deal with Fields potentially owed a fifth year around 20 or 25 million is what I think I heard. Lets look ahead and maybe I'm missing something here.

Lets say, Wilson has a great year at age 36 and the Steelers win a couple playoff games, maybe don't make it to the Super Bowl and Fields doesn't see the field because Wilson stays healthy.
    What do the Steelers do next year with each players contract?

Lets say the Steelers are humming along with Wilson and he gets injured and misses 3-4 games or more and Fields comes in, plays well and the Steelers win more than they lose, Wilson takes over after injury and the Steelers make the playoffs and win a couple games.
    What do you do next year with each players contract?

If Wilson isn't getting it done and Fields comes in and plays well and the Steelers make the playoffs, that's an easy choice, you pay Fields

If Fields plays 3-4 games or more and is wildly inconsistent and Wilson plays well, I think you have to sign Wilson

There are other scenarios, I'm certain.

My question is, what is the plan moving forward? I don't see both quarterbacks being on the team again next year. How do you get Fields reps to see if he's the future if you've already given the QB1 to Wilson? I feel like there are more questions than answers right now. IMO, they should have signed Fields and give him the reins to see if he could be that franchise guy, pick up a backup in FA to be QB2 and a project in the draft as QB3.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm curious about the contracts for Wilson and Fields along with their ages. Each quarterback is on a 1 year deal with Fields potentially owed a fifth year around 20 or 25 million is what I think I heard. Lets look ahead and maybe I'm missing something here.

Lets say, Wilson has a great year at age 36 and the Steelers win a couple playoff games, maybe don't make it to the Super Bowl and Fields doesn't see the field because Wilson stays healthy.

Lets say the Steelers are humming along with Wilson and he gets injured and misses 3-4 games or more and Fields comes in, plays well and the Steelers win more than they lose, Wilson takes over after injury and the Steelers make the playoffs and win a couple games.

If Wilson isn't getting it done and Fields comes in and plays well and the Steelers make the playoffs, that's an easy choice, you pay Fields

If Fields plays 3-4 games or more and is wildly inconsistent and Wilson plays well, I think you have to sign Wilson

My question is, what is the plan moving forward? I don't see both quarterbacks being on the team again next year. How do you get Fields reps to see if he's the future if you've already given the QB1 to Wilson? I feel like there are more questions than answers right now. IMO, they should have signed Fields and give him the reins to see if he could be that franchise guy, pick up a backup in FA to be QB2 and a project in the draft as QB3.

Pappy
    What if Fields outplays Russ in camp? Do we still give the ball to Russ like we did with Mitch?

We don’t have to give Fields a 5th year. Can we sign him for cheaper if he doesn’t play? Will he want to stay if Russ gets another year?

Who knows..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    If Wilson is healthy, you make a judgement on him. If you like what he does stay with him. If you don’t you give Fields a modest 2 year extension. Take a QB at 1. Fields gets to increase his value for a BIG payday to follow and we get him cheap. All the while we have taken another shot at a rookie to develop.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What if Fields outplays Russ in camp? Do we still give the ball to Russ like we did with Mitch?

We don’t have to give Fields a 5th year. Can we sign him for cheaper if he doesn’t play? Will he want to stay if Russ gets another year?

Who knows..
    I think it depends.

If Fields outplays Wilson and Wilson looks horrible, I think maybe we go with Fields.

If Wilson looks competent, but Fields looks great, I think we go with Wilson (maybe with a shorter leash).

The thing about Fields is that he seems like he's very high variance (sounds familiar!). In a small sample size (5 or 6 quarters in preseason), he could look unbelievable or unbelievably terrible.

I think that's true of Wilson too (but I'd expect the highs and lows to be higher with Fields).

I think we shouldn't over react to whatever happens in preseason. Ben and Kenny both recently had perfect QB ratings in the preseason. And then did not look good in the regular season.

Opposing defenses don't usually game plan in preseason. So looking great then doesn't seem to matter much.

Legend

User Info Menu

Teams pay QBs all the time for who they aren't. Compare Russell Wilson's stats last year to Kirk Cousins. Tell me why they are so different.

If Russ matches those stats with the Steelers and takes us to the AFC Championship game, he's going to want more than $20M/year.
    I am going to repeat what I have been saying. Not only will Wilson NEVER AGAIN be paid big bucks, I just feel like he will CHOSE to accept a lower offer IF it looks like we can win a ring.

Russ has made his money, he is playing for legacy. What IF we get to the AFCCG maximizing his value?

If we offer a max of 25 million, does he want to bounce to end his career a loser, hurting his HOF prospects?

I will continue saying this, I believe Russ talked about what he wants long term and it aint maximizing his pay.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher