Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News

Legend

User Info Menu

Not that it matters now, but this tweet supposedly is the 'true story' behind Pickett's trade:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2q3mXeV][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2q3mXeV]capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr

So Tomlin is in the room with Wilson on Friday and they are talking about the QB room, potentially with Rudolph and Pickett in a seat.

I guess my question would be; did Wilson really think he was so threatened by Pickett or Rudolph in a QB competition that he needed the Steelers to guarantee him the starting job?

If so, then Wilson isn't the starting QB we are hoping for if he didn't think he could easily win the job.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 07-10-2024 at 08:18 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Not that it matters now, but this tweet supposedly is the 'true story' behind Pickett's trade:

So Tomlin is in the room with Wilson on Friday and they are talking about the QB room, potentially with Rudolph and Pickett in a seat.

I guess my question would be; did Wilson really think he was so threatened by Pickett or Rudolph in a QB competition that he needed the Steelers to guarantee him the starting job?

If so, then Wilson isn't the starting QB we are hoping for if he didn't think he could easily win the job.
    Not only that, the Steelers operate in duplicitous fashion, you can see why they've had so many hostage situations lately.

Legend

User Info Menu

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2q3mXeV][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2q3mXeV]capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr

Really? Pickett was the best preseason QB IN THE LEAGUE last season and it meant nothing.

Tomlin to that point was the biggest verbal supporter of Pickett out there. Wilson had no basis to think he wins an open competition to an inferior regular season QB and for all he knows Tomlin might go with the young guy HE WANTS to succeed.

One reason why contract matters is that you DONT NEED assurances of your status. If Wilson negotiated like he normally would, high bidder is a commitment.

Russ was willing to come in cheap as making us pay more only would mean the Broncs pay less so in would hurt our roster without him making more money. But with no financial commitment would would Tomlin go with Kenny and sign Russ only as a fall back in case his choice Kenny fails spectacularly? Very possible because he was cheap.

Again Kenny is an AWESOME preseason QB. Heck we are hearing it now with the Eagles. In an OPEN COMPETITION with Hurts RIGHT NOW my money is on Kenny. But we all know Kenny ain?t starting.

Look at it from Russ? perspective.

Any coach who thinks Kenny is in my league might foolishly start him based on preseason excellence. That is not being scared of anything but a coaches stupidity.
    Russ WISELY used his leverage to his advantage.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

QB’s have huge ego’s. If I’m Wilson and willing to come in at vet minimum best believe I want assurance I’m the starting QB.

Look at Cousins in Atlanta. Dude is getting PAID and he wasn’t happy at all with the team selecting a QB with the first pick.

Also, Wilson is probably on his last chance for a contract extension and he isn’t trying to play anywhere that could jeopardize his chances at showcasing his talents.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Not only that, the Steelers operate in duplicitous fashion, you can see why they've had so many hostage situations lately.
    If this tweet is to be believed. Look closely my friend.
    1. Was Russ actually guaranteed the job?
    If you are going to do that you do it BEFORE he meets with the Giants. It NEVER SAID Russ got the guarantee. Kenny was told that Russ would start, which leads to-

2. Kenny WAS CLEARLY TOLD he would not start. That means Tomlin was MORE forthright with Kenny than we knew.

3. Mason? You don?t EVER negotiate to a specific dollar amount without a pen to sign right there. If I propose to a girl and I walk out with my ring waiting for her answer, it is HER FAULT if the next time she sees that ring is on the hand of another girl.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-10-2024 at 09:33 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

We definitely didn’t have to wait for Mason before making a move because he was shopping for more money and a better landing spot.

I actually think Mason knew the franchise would never give him a legit shot since we brought Mitch in AND drafted Kenny.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Per my source = Trust me bro.

Even if there is a source, does anybody believe that the source was privy to Russ' personal discussions, Mason's personal discussions, Mason & Pickett's personal conversations, Pickett's phone records, and Russ' discussions with the Giants.

Likely, any "source" is in the Pickett camp. Pickett, the disgruntled ex-Steeler who is facing talk of his acting childish throughout the last year. I believe the timeline is pretty accurate, but don't believe the details to be. I'm sure some is right, some not, but won't bank on the story 100%.

Legend

User Info Menu

Who cares how this played out. The end result is our QB situation is better than it was a year ago.

Wilson and Fields both outplayed and outperformed the clowns we had last year.

Pickett showed that when things don’t go his way he will sound retreat and run away. Don’t need him
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Per my source = Trust me bro.

Even if there is a source, does anybody believe that the source was privy to Russ' personal discussions, Mason's personal discussions, Mason & Pickett's personal conversations, Pickett's phone records, and Russ' discussions with the Giants.

Likely, any "source" is in the Pickett camp. Pickett, the disgruntled ex-Steeler who is facing talk of his acting childish throughout the last year. I believe the timeline is pretty accurate, but don't believe the details to be. I'm sure some is right, some not, but won't bank on the story 100%.
    I think this timeline is pretty accurate. I also don’t believe Pickett acted like a spoiled kid. He acted like every QB acts. They all want to keep their gigs and if not, they want a chance to move on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Who cares how this played out. The end result is our QB situation is better than it was a year ago.

Wilson and Fields both outplayed and outperformed the clowns we had last year.

Pickett showed that when things don?t go his way he will sound retreat and run away. Don?t need him
    How can it be better if we haven?t seen him play a down yet?

On paper its better but until we see the product on the field we have no idea.

If we go 7-10 or 8-9 with Russ throwing 25 TD?s will we celebrate better QB play?
    Last edited by feltdizz; 07-10-2024 at 01:28 PM.