X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shawn
    Legend
    • Mar 2008

Breaking News

I just heard that Russel Wilson accepted a team friendly deal with the Steelers. Nothing signed yet of course. But it?s a done deal. Guess all that talk about KP getting another chance was nonsense. Which it should be.
    Trolls are people too.
  • hawaiiansteel
    Legend
    • May 2008

Sources: Russell Wilson to sign free-agent deal with Steelers

Adam Schefter, ESPN Senior Writer
    Mar 10, 2024

Nine-time Pro-Bowl quarterback and former Super-Bowl champion Russell Wilson plans to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, league sources told ESPN.

Wilson will sign a team-friendly, one-year deal in which the Broncos will wind up paying $38 million of his salary while Wilson wears the black and yellow.

Wilson visited with Steelers officials in Pittsburgh for over six hours Friday. He met with, amongst others, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith. The two sides had a mutual interest that led to their one-year deal.

Russell Wilson will sign a team-friendly, one-year deal with the Steelers. The Broncos will wind up paying $38 million while he wears the black and yellow.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Comment

• Buzz
      Legend
      • Dec 2017

Pickett should ask for a trade. Let's face it, they're not really bringing Wilson in to be "competition," no matter how they try to spin it.

Steelers have shown what they really think about KP. Saying that they're going to "develop" him while sitting on the bench behind Wilson, well, I just don't see it.

Not crazy about this move (1 year rental of an aging, declining QB) from where we sit in March of 2024, but we shall see.

Comment

• T.Ferguson
        Pro Bowler
        • Sep 2021

Wilson is a great QB but I don't really understand this move, 1 year deal so what is the point? It'd be one thing if he was going to a loaded team that just needed a QB and as great as Wilson is he is obviously past his prime. The bigger picture is the team is clearly giving up on KP without ever really giving him much of a chance, Wilson is not coming to Pittsburgh to be the backup. New coaching staff please because it's clear this team has no real plan in place under Tomlin anymore other than let's just compete in the most general sense of the word.

Comment

• SS Laser
          Pro Bowler
          • Apr 2009

Well Mason sitting on the bench seemed to help him improve. Maybe the same for KP?

Comment

• Shawn
            Legend
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by T.Ferguson
            Wilson is a great QB but I don't really understand this move, 1 year deal so what is the point? It'd be one thing if he was going to a loaded team that just needed a QB and as great as Wilson is he is obviously past his prime. The bigger picture is the team is clearly giving up on KP without ever really giving him much of a chance, Wilson is not coming to Pittsburgh to be the backup. New coaching staff please because it's clear this team has no real plan in place under Tomlin anymore other than let's just compete in the most general sense of the word.
            It means the Steelers believe they are a QB away from a SB run. And guess what? I agree. Now is Wilson enough QB for that run? Depends. I suspect yes. What I believe is happening is Wilson realizes his street isnt what he wants it to be for one last big contract. This is his time to prove he can be that QB of old the market. So he plays his best ball this year. If he does that welp this Steelers team is good enough to make a run. If he doesnt? He costs little to nothing. KP isnt the answer. A rookie QB isn’t starting this year. They sign Wilson, make a run and we draft a guy this year. Buys a year. Do I think the Steelers will sign him long term even if he balls out? No unless he takes a team friendly deal and he wont.
            Trolls are people too.

Comment

• The Man of Steel
              Pro Bowler
              • Dec 2009

KP, MT, and MR combined for 13 TD passes last season while Wilson threw for 26 Touchdowns by himself so this has to be considered an upgrade.
              Obviously the standard is the standard.

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                Legend
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by T.Ferguson
                They are all in on this season. We won 10 games with some of the worst QB play in the league. If you consider what we can do in free agency with a good deal to spend can still restructure guys and the draft, give me not elite but simply “good” QB play from Russ and how hard would it be to get to say 12-13 wins? I think we can take the division and give KC a run.

If Russ GETS US CLOSE extend a couple years. He STILL won’t be crazy expensive. His market would be limited as an older player no longer capable of carrying an offense. Good teams have a QB and he can’t fix bad teams.

If it is a fail, move on. We will know by mid season, let Kenny finish and show what he has got. Frankly, I think he should be able to show in that time if we want to keep him. Frank truth? Kenny will have no market whatsoever. If he flashes we can keep him if we want as Tomlins opinion of him is higher than anybody.

If both fail we draft again. But if Kenny is bad THAT happens anyway without Russ.

Upside? We MIGHT make a run with Russ.
                Downside of signing Russ? I don’t see one.
                sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
                The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                  Legend
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by The Man of Steel
                  KP, MT, and MR combined for 13 TD passes last season while Wilson threw for 26 Touchdowns by himself so this has to be considered an upgrade.
                  As I said before, KP, MT, and MR combined for 25 TDs total since Ben retired to Russells 26. No brainer.
                  sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Comment

• hawaiiansteel
                    Legend
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Captain Lemming
                    As I said before, KP, MT, and MR combined for 25 TDs total since Ben retired to Russells 26. No brainer.
                    agreed.

especially since we're only paying $1.2 million of his $39 million salary.
                    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
                    Hahahahahahaha

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                      Legend
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Shawn
                      It means the Steelers believe they are a QB away from a SB run. And guess what? I agree. Now is Wilson enough QB for that run? Depends. I suspect yes. What I believe is happening is Wilson realizes his street isnt what he wants it to be for one last big contract. This is his time to prove he can be that QB of old the market. So he plays his best ball this year. If he does that welp this Steelers team is good enough to make a run. If he doesnt? He costs little to nothing. KP isnt the answer. A rookie QB isn’t starting this year. They sign Wilson, make a run and we draft a guy this year. Buys a year. Do I think the Steelers will sign him long term even if he balls out? No unless he takes a team friendly deal and he wont.
                      I agree with most of what your said here. I think this move makes perfect sense

But I think we CAN extent hm pretty modestly if it works out. Wilsons value will be limited due to the Broncos getting burned and his getting older. I think we are in a rare position in that all we need is competent QB play to make a run. His value to most QB hungry teams will be limited. He is nobodies FUTURE. He can be a NOW on a well stocked roster.

I really do think he wants legacy at this stage, not maximizing his pay. He has stated as much. If we get close, I don’t think anybody would outbid us to the degree necessary to steal him as all the concerns expressed here would be magnified by any team that was not a playoff caliber team. And playoff teams all HAVE QBs BUT us.
                      Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-11-2024, 01:29 AM.
                      sigpic

TCFCLTC-

Comment

• Oviedo
                        Legend
                        • May 2008

It means the Steelers believe they are a QB away from a SB run. And guess what? I agree. Now is Wilson enough QB for that run? Depends. I suspect yes. What I believe is happening is Wilson realizes his street isnt what he wants it to be for one last big contract. This is his time to prove he can be that QB of old the market. So he plays his best ball this year. If he does that welp this Steelers team is good enough to make a run. If he doesnt? He costs little to nothing. KP isnt the answer. A rookie QB isn?t starting this year. They sign Wilson, make a run and we draft a guy this year. Buys a year. Do I think the Steelers will sign him long term even if he balls out? No unless he takes a team friendly deal and he wont.
                        This!!!! The reality is that this group has a two or three year window before you lose your defensive stars in Watt and Minkah. The front office clearly has made the decision that they aren?t going to waste that hoping Pickett can find his way.

Pickett may actually learn something sitting behind an experienced vet like Wilson if his ego doesn?t get in the way
                        "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                          Legend
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Oviedo
                          This!!!! The reality is that this group has a two or three year window before you lose your defensive stars in Watt and Minkah. The front office clearly has made the decision that they aren?t going to waste that hoping Pickett can find his way.

Pickett may actually learn something sitting behind an experienced vet like Wilson if his ego doesn?t get in the way
                          Very well articulated. Might work, might not, even if Kenny WILL eventually get better, he is not getting us anywhere next season.

Russ changes that dynamic and we have hope to possibly contend right away.
                          sigpic

TCFCLTC-

Comment

• Flasteel
                            Hall of Famer
                            • May 2008

Even with the benefit of a couple of weeks to gnaw on this, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. But I do love the competition this will bring at the position - more so than a Rudolph-Pickett battle. Gotta say, I'm surprised that Wilson decided to sign here because I don't believe that they are going to just hand him the job. In the end this is going to make Pickett a better player. Maybe he beats out Russ or maybe he sits for a year. We'll find out.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Northern_Blitz
                              Legend
                              • Dec 2008

I just heard that Russel Wilson accepted a team friendly deal with the Steelers. Nothing signed yet of course. But it?s a done deal. Guess all that talk about KP getting another chance was nonsense. Which it should be.
                              Yep.

They had full faith in Kenny when he was the only QB on the roster.

Same as Mason when he was the only QB after Ben retired.
                              Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 03-11-2024, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...