Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers setting themselves up to make the same mistake at QB?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    He's hit far more than other QBs. Lawrence is, too, he fumbles a lot as well. These guys need a better supporting cast.
    Do you think that maybe he's part of the reason he's hit more than other QBs?

That he can't find open guys and / or runs too early. Then gets hit too much. Then fumbles too much?

And even in that article you posted about his fumbling not being as bad as it looks (and it looks really, really, really bad), he was still something like 4th worst at fumbling in high danger situations or whatever they called it.

Worse than Mitch at it.

Not as bad as Haskins.

So he's somewhere between two high pedigree guys who didn't make it because they turned the ball over too much. Not a great sign.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-25-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not all fumbles are turnovers. LOST fumbles are. Jim Miller is a moron.

But most all fumbles are turnover-worthy plays. If you could just grasp the fact that games are won or lost on turnover-worthy plays, not just actual turnovers youd give up on the silly premise that such a turnover worthy machine is a starting caliber QB.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-25-2024 at 09:30 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

In the "oh what could have been" category of stories:

"If for some reason the Browns, and I don't expect this to happen, were to cut Baker Mayfield, I think he signs with the Pittsburgh Steelers the very next day," said ESPN sports reporter Jeff Darlington during an appearance on Get Up on Wednesday April 20. Again, teams still do covet Baker Mayfield, they just don?t think they need to give up as much as the Cleveland Browns are asking right now.?

Darlington isn't the first reporter to say that the Steelers would move to sign Mayfield, if he reached free agency. Last month, Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com said the Steelers would "pounce" on Mayfield, that "they would take him in a minute,"having noted that there hasn't been a whole lot of activity" in terms of other teams pursuing the former No. 1 overall pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Do you think that maybe he's part of the reason he's hit more than other QBs?

That he can't find open guys and / or runs too early. Then gets hit too much. Then fumbles too much?
    Yes, he's definitely part of it, but I think that part can be limited with scheme and supporting cast. Limit the bad, accentuate the good. Isn't that the job of professional coaches? Or just "do what we do"?

I posted this before, but since it's contextual I expect most of you to have a blind spot to it.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/20...%20too%20high.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 02-26-2024 at 09:04 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

More fumble context. Mesh point fumbles and bad snaps go to the QB.

Relax your eyes and stare, like with a stereogram image, maybe it will eventually appear.

https://beargoggleson.com/posts/just...bears-haters/3

I predict Fields will wind up in Atlanta, his home town, where they have a great OL and a ton of weapons, and now, a modern offensive mind at the helm.

Will be watching closely if that happens.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 02-26-2024 at 09:18 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Relax your eyes and stare, like with a stereogram image, maybe it will eventually appear.

I predict Fields will wind up in Atlanta, his home town, where they have a great OL and a ton of weapons, and now, a modern offensive mind at the helm.

I still think the Bears are giving up on him too early BUT Caleb or Maye give the FO more time to turn the corner.

Rooting for Fields to leave and plays well in ATL or somewhere else.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I still think the Bears are giving up on him too early BUT Caleb or Maye give the FO more time to turn the corner.

Rooting for Fields to leave and plays well in ATL or somewhere else.
    Heard today from the Combine that ATL is more likely to move up than trade for Fields. That's good news for teams who want him. Be patient, wait for the price to drop. Get him for a 3rd or lower and there's no obligation to pick up the 5th year option. One year prove it deal, compete with Kenny.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wait my brother. You love your “turnover worthy” metric but post an article that excuses him for fumbles that are NOT LOST?

Pick a lane my friend.

Gonna blame the center? Funny how Kenny (tiny hands) Pickett had similar challenges without being a turnover machine.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-27-2024 at 12:48 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Heard today from the Combine that ATL is more likely to move up than trade for Fields. That's good news for teams who want him. Be patient, wait for the price to drop. Get him for a 3rd or lower and there's no obligation to pick up the 5th year option. One year prove it deal, compete with Kenny.
    The more I see of Russ possibly taking less, if the fit is right, I GREATLY prefer him on a reasonable deal over Fields.

Might get us a Stafford ring.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

He's hit far more than other QBs. Lawrence is, too, he fumbles a lot as well. These guys need a better supporting cast.
    Wait.
    Kenny has:
    A trash center who BOTH allows pressure up the middle AND has trouble snapping the ball.

Did not start their rookie savior at tackle through the leagues worst stretch of edge rushers to start the season.

The leagues smallest QB hands. AND

Per you and pff THE LEAGUES WORST STARTING LEFT TACKLE.

YET

Fields had as many fumbles in ONE GAME VERSUS THE VIKINGS as Kenny had ALL SEASON.

And Fields lost both in one game while toddler hands Kenny lost ZERO fumbles on THE SEASON.

Try to *context* your way out of THAT my friend.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-27-2024 at 01:46 PM.

TCFCLTC-