Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Top free agent centers for Steelers to consider in 2024

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Only reason Ieft ILB in there is Roberts is on his final year of his contract and Holcomb's injury (plus he's up next year, too).

Finally, I think they got spoiled last year with a nice 3 headed monster with varying skills.

Honestly, bloodlines and all I tend to think they'll go Trotter Jr if he's there when they are ready
    We can agree on the connection for Trotter that they like. I think they keep Roberts around can’t see it being a expensive contract. Also agree on three ILB’s needed to play in this defense. They having me believing that ILB, CB, OT. Are lower draft needs. But of course I could be very wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I suspect this means we're looking at Frazier/SVP on day 2.

It's interesting to me because I *do not* see the trade up that people keep talking about for WR - they have too many needs. I'm almost inclined to think trade down is more likely in play because of the number of "day 2" positions that they are looking at.

I see them looking at C, ILB, DE and maybe OT all with day 2 value. I feel like they're more likely to make someone give up their 2nd and 3rd, end up with two 2nds and two 3rds.

Imagine trading with Carolina (who is an easy target because they have two 2nds anyway) and coming away with an additional pick in both the 2nd and 3rd round. You have picks:

2 (33 - from Carolina)
    2 (51)
    3 (65 - from Carolina)
    3 (84)

You could get a HAUL in day 2 talent (something like Zach Frazier, Jermiah Trotter, Ruke Orhorhoro, Jalen McMillan).
    I'd like a trade like that. In general, my guess is that later 1st round picks are pretty close in expected return to high 2nd round picks. And if moving back 13 spots got us another 3rd, that would be great IMO.

The Steelers haven't traded out of the 1st in the past, but I think that the value of the 5th year option has decreased with the new rules. And we have a different GM now.

I think we have to take a C and a WR with the first two picks as of now. And I think we could wait until 33 to get a C.

Maybe the exception to wanting to trade back for me would be if one of the Cs is already off the board at 20. I wouldn't want to get caught again like we did with Green.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Connor Williams is a quality center. Mentioned him previously but his medical is the issue. If he could be ready for week 1 it may be a really good deal for the B & G cause he can play. Worth the wait imho.
    What is Connor Williams' future after "pretty significant" ACL tear?

March 18, 2024

Center Connor Williams is one of the top remaining free agents. The question isn't as much when he will sign but if he will sign with anyone this offseason?

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, called Williams' torn ACL "pretty significant."

His interview on Miami television station WSVN came this weekend after Louis Riddick of ESPN speculated whether Williams' injury might be career-threatening.

"So Connor had a pretty significant knee injury. Without getting into his private business, it was a significant knee injury," Rosenhaus said in the TV interview. So, he's taking his time with his rehab. I don't think his immediate plan is to sign with the Dolphins or any team right now. I think he's focused on his medical situation getting healthy and then see where he stands at that point. So, it's not going to be any time soon that we see Connor Williams signing with an NFL team.

Williams injured his knee in a Dec. 11 game against the Titans.

The Dolphins have replaced him, signing former Titans center Aaron Brewer to a three-year, $21 million deal.

Williams moved from guard to center after signing a two-year deal with the Dolphins in 2022 and became a solid starting center.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...icant-acl-tear
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Well that confirms what I suspected about his medicals and why he hasn't been signed.

Doesn't help us though. Still have a major hole
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

What Would a Connor Williams Contract Cost Steelers?

What would the Pittsburgh Steelers have to pay to land the top center remaining on the open market in Connor Williams?

March 22, 2024

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a huge need at center, and so naturally, the team has been connected to the top center left on the market, Connor Williams. Due to a torn ACL, Williams is not going to sign for a while as he rehabs. This could be done after the draft, and given his injury occurred in December, there is no guarantee that Williams is ready for the season. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, detailed his process so far.

Connor Williams had a pretty significant knee injury. So, he's taking his time with his rehab. I don't think his plan is to sign with the Dolphins or any team right now. I think he's focused on his medical situation getting healthy and seeing where he stands. Not any time soon, Rosenhaus said.

But if things do check out to be fine, the Steelers are likely to be in the thick of suitors. So, what would that cost? Brad Spielberger of Pro Football Focus believes that Williams could land a 3-year, $22.5 million deal, or $7.5 million per year with $12.5 million guaranteed.

Williams was quickly the top center left on the market, and he has to be considered the favorite for the Steelers if they want to land a player who will slot right in and start. Of course, there are significant questions about Williams availability to start training camp and potentially even the season given the nature of his injury. He tore his ACL in Week 14, significantly impacting his market. It's certainly possible he just waits this out well into training camp, which likely means the Steelers would have drafted someone at that point.

But if he is willing to sign earlier than that, or even if the solution is a mid-round pick this year, the Steelers should be all over it. He would be a plug-and-play center and a guy they could trust to man the position, especially in the wide zone scheme that Arthur Smith runs. I am unsure if they will make this big of a splash, but if they do, Williams will easily be the best player remaining.

https://steelersnow.com/pittsburgh-s...ontract-price/
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    So, what would that cost? Brad Spielberger of Pro Football Focus believes that Williams could land a 3-year, $22.5 million deal, or $7.5 million per year with $12.5 million guaranteed.
    When I saw the question, I came up with my own numbers before looking at what was written. I also thought three years - nice length to become a core part of the team but not too long a commitment for a guy with an ACL history. Otherwise, my number on the contract was higher - around $30M which would be a good deal for one of the premier players at the position, with a discount for injury. (Cushenberry just signed for $12.5M AAV for 4 years with a slightly worse resume). My guaranteed number was also lower, I was thinking around $10M due to injury concerns. (Cushenberry $30M guaranteed).

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin says Steelers got some work to do at center

The Steelers only center on the roster is Nate Herbig

Mar 24, 2024

It's no secret that the Steelers have a massive hole at center.

After releasing Mason Cole, Pittsburgh doesn't have a proven veteran on the roster at the position. Nate Herbig has played center, but he is predominantly a guard.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about the hole in the middle of the offensive line at the NFL league meetings, and acknowledged that they had some work ahead of them.

Obviously, we still got Herbig on our roster, Tomlin said. But we've got some work to do there. Whether it's continued in free agency and/or the draft, we'll get something done, obviously, at that position.

Several centers that were available via free agency have signed elsewhere. Former Broncos center Lloyd Cushenberry signed with the Tennessee Titans. Many thought Cushenberry could be on the Steelers radar considering he was Russell Wilson's center in Denver. Former Cowboys center Tyler Biadasz followed Dan Quinn to Washington, and former Titans center Aaron Brewer signed with the Miami Dolphins.

The only realistic veteran available is former Rams center Brian Allen. Connor Williams would be nice, but that is a big risk to take health wise.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if the Steelers didn't sign a veteran ahead of the draft, as well as use one of their four top 100 picks on the position in the draft.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...nfl-draft-2024

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Mike Tomlin says Steelers got some work to do at center

The Steelers only center on the roster is Nate Herbig

Mar 24, 2024

It's no secret that the Steelers have a massive hole at center.

After releasing Mason Cole, Pittsburgh doesn't have a proven veteran on the roster at the position. Nate Herbig has played center, but he is predominantly a guard.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about the hole in the middle of the offensive line at the NFL league meetings, and acknowledged that they had some work ahead of them.

Obviously, we still got Herbig on our roster, Tomlin said. But we've got some work to do there. Whether it's continued in free agency and/or the draft, we'll get something done, obviously, at that position.

Several centers that were available via free agency have signed elsewhere. Former Broncos center Lloyd Cushenberry signed with the Tennessee Titans. Many thought Cushenberry could be on the Steelers radar considering he was Russell Wilson's center in Denver. Former Cowboys center Tyler Biadasz followed Dan Quinn to Washington, and former Titans center Aaron Brewer signed with the Miami Dolphins.

The only realistic veteran available is former Rams center Brian Allen. Connor Williams would be nice, but that is a big risk to take health wise.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if the Steelers didn't sign a veteran ahead of the draft, as well as use one of their four top 100 picks on the position in the draft.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...nfl-draft-2024
    "Obviously...."

Legend

User Info Menu

Omar Khan Won't Rule Out Steelers Trading for Center

3/25/24

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...17181_40155697

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I have a hard time thinking they have any other plans but drafting JPJ or Graham Barton in the first next month.

I'm not concerned if they don't go to either pro day. They've seen the tape. Already met with both at the combine.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington