Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Steelers released C Mason Cole

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Or playing him on his natural side. Steelers love to move OL to their unnatural side.
    And you're advocating moving a guy to his unnatural position (Daniels to C), right?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    It's a surprise that they did this BEFORE the draft. Everyone knew that they'd get a Center. NOW, it kinda puts a target on their backs.

Don't be surprised by a trade up for JPJ in the first
    Wonder if there was an incentive to make this move now vs waiting. I think we have so many needs that this doesn?t really tip our hand.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    It's a surprise that they did this BEFORE the draft. Everyone knew that they'd get a Center. NOW, it kinda puts a target on their backs.

Don't be surprised by a trade up for JPJ in the first
    I was thinking the same thing. Why tip your hand and release him before the draft? paltry savings as well.

I'd still love to play poker with these guys.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

My early 2024 draft:

1.) OC - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C - Oregon
    2.) DL -Ruke Orhorhoro, DL, Clemson
    3.) WR - Nathaniel Dell, WR - Houston
    4a.) OT - Matt Goncalves, ROT - Pitt
    4b.) S -Tykee Smith - S - Georgia
    6A.) CB - Shon Stephensl - D - Ferris State
    6B..) DT - Jamree Kromah DT James Madison

UDFA: P, WR, QB, TE

We don't apologize for winning!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And you're advocating moving a guy to his unnatural position (Daniels to C), right?
    He played center for 3 years at Iowa.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Why tip your hand and release him before the draft? paltry savings as well.

This isn't tipping anything. No team was thinking before this that the Steelers don't need a center. The need is just as glaring with nobody there as it was with Mason Cole there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    He played center for 3 years at Iowa.
    Then 6 years at guard in the NFL.

I think he could do it in a pinch. But I think it's not his natural position. I don't think moving him from G to C is much different than having a G change sides.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    This isn't tipping anything. No team was thinking before this that the Steelers don't need a center. The need is just as glaring with nobody there as it was with Mason Cole there.
    I just hope that we actually address the glaring need we have a C this time.

We're going to need a rookie to step in an start on day one. That means we have to draft one early (I think it should be at 20 if we don't have a backup plan). It means that we can't take the luxury of the player we love (e.g. a TE) and get left with a guy we think might be able to convert to C.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post

Given how Khan did in his first draft and everyone being wrong about Willis I think some of you would go home naked if you played poker with the FO.

Hold onto Mason for what? To trick folks into thinking C wasn’t a need? Seems silly to me. Would not be surprised if we don’t even go Center round 1. That might be a reach anyway.

Hopefully we get back to BPA and don’t draft for need.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Given how Khan did in his first draft and everyone being wrong about Willis I think some of you would go home naked if you played poker with the FO.

Hold onto Mason for what? To trick folks into thinking C wasn’t a need? Seems silly to me. Would not be surprised if we don’t even go Center round 1. That might be a reach anyway.

Hopefully we get back to BPA and don’t draft for need.
    This.

It's why I think we'll do the Colbert type thing here and sign someone who can play C on day 1 if we need them to.

Then we don't get forced into the situation of choosing between reaching or forcing a guy who's clearly not ready to start into the lineup on day 1. We did that last time we were looking for a C in the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This.

It's why I think we'll do the Colbert type thing here and sign someone who can play C on day 1 if we need them to.

Then we don't get forced into the situation of choosing between reaching or forcing a guy who's clearly not ready to start into the lineup on day 1. We did that last time we were looking for a C in the draft.
    I’m not sure that happens. If the best player at 20 is DT, I say take them.