Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: "Internal division" over whether Pickett or Rudolph should start

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    who said Mason’s sample size doesn’t matter? I’m simply saying its not as big as you guys are implying. Mason played how many good defenses in those 3 regular season games?

All I said about Kenny was he only had 1 full game without Canada and the offense went over 400 so we don’t know how Kenny will look with more games with a different OC.
    One full game plus one half game. The half game was at home against the 25th rated D (yards allowed). The Steelers didn't crack 100 yards in that half, and 68 yards were on the one drive that turned the ball over on fourth down. We can't just use one game as a full sample size when we have 50% more data. Either way, it is still too small a sample to determine any future success or failure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Eh, I'm just not all that excited about Fields. I guess there are worse moves we could make (and have made, with Mitch). But I've heard the "elite arm" story before. The Bears weren't good at all. And THEY are wiling to get rid of a young Fields to look for a new QB in the draft. If a guy has all the potential to be a franchise QB, you make your offense around him.

I'd rather go after a more proven commodity (Baker or Cousins). Or draft another lottery ticket.
    This...a push a QB and a downgrade at WR.

If we were going to trade DJ, I'd probably rather do it for draft picks to try to move up and get a QB (if we need one) next draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This...a push a QB and a downgrade at WR.

If we were going to trade DJ, I'd probably rather do it for draft picks to try to move up and get a QB (if we need one) next draft.
    Push? Fields was twice the prospect Kenny was, put him in the right system and he'll shine.

How you getting that QB picking 20th again in the next draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    One full game plus one half game. The half game was at home against the 25th rated D (yards allowed). The Steelers didn't crack 100 yards in that half, and 68 yards were on the one drive that turned the ball over on fourth down. We can't just use one game as a full sample size when we have 50% more data. Either way, it is still too small a sample to determine any future success or failure.
    Didn?t crack 100 yards in the first half? This is false information.

First possession:
    first play: 13 yard pass to Pickens
    2nd play: 9 yard run by Harris
    3rd play: 38 yard pass to Pickens

We drove to the 11 and kicked a FG on the first drive. This is the type of stuff that?s frustrating. People simply forget or misremember things and run with it.

We had 165 yards in the first half. Maybe a little less if you include sack and a bad snap on a 3rd down.

We had a 65 yard opening drive for a FG and then a 79 yard drive that ended at the 1 where Kenny was hurt.

We also had a drive killed by a bad snap on 3rd down that Kenny had to fall on.

If we want to be honest Kenny had one bad series in that first half before he injured his ankle. I don’t blame Kenny for stalling on a drive that was run, run, pass on 3rd and 7 that falls incomplete or having to fall on a bad snap on 3rd and 2.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-21-2024 at 03:54 PM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Push? Fields was twice the prospect Kenny was, put him in the right system and he'll shine.

Who cares what kind of prospect he was?

He isn't a prospect anymore. He has a track record in the NFL now. And it isn't good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Who cares what kind of prospect he was?

He isn't a prospect anymore. He has a track record in the NFL now. And it isn't good.
    He's a work in progress with much better tools and higher upside than Pickett.

Now you're stanning for Kenny? Some of you guys twist yourselves into knots just to argue with me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now you're stanning for Kenny? Some of you guys twist yourselves into knots just to argue with me.
    I'm not just trying to argue with you. I genuinely think trading a bunch for Fields isn't a good idea. Because he hasn't proven that he's a QB that can win at the NFL level.

If he was a UFA we could pick up for a reasonable price, I'd be much more interested in running the experiment.

There is some chance that he makes it. Just like there's some chance that Kenny makes it. I wouldn't want to bet on either with what we already know. But the thing is, we don't have to spend additional assets to see Kenny's trajectory play out. And if he isn't good, I think we're only investing one more year (maybe not a whole season) of time into him before we move on. If you spend a bunch (again assets and the option that you basically have to exercise), you aren't going to bail on Fields after just a year.

But I don't like the cost in terms of assets or cap dollars (because trading for him and not exercising the option is silly IMO).

And I think it's a bad bet to put that much down on a guy who hasn't been good in years 1-3 when you only have 1-2 years left to figure it out.

As I said, if we were to trade DJ (which I don't think we'll do)...I'd rather trade him for an asset we can use to get a mystery box at QB. Rather than a half-opened present that doesn't look like what we want.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-21-2024 at 06:09 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

You know we just cut another Bear who was twice the prospect as Kenny right.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Coming out of college, I thought KP?s ceiling would be a mobile Montana and Fields ceiling could be a super mobile version of Aaron Rodgers.

Now that they?ve played in the NFL, Fields is a turnover machine and KP is an injuty prone, can?t read a D and can?t process at the NFL level QB who doesn?t have the elite physical skills to overcome the lacking mental side of his game.

Im of the mind set that KP can potentially figure it out long term given his record of 4th Q comebacks.

Fields would be fun to watch but I?m not sure he ever becomes more than Kordell II at this point.

Im still of the mindset, focus on building the OLine around Mason at this point and see what he can do.

Also build the D line and add a couple pieces to make this team dominant with the only question mark being the QB and if Mason and/or KP don?t pan out, go get a QB next year to complete the team.

In the meantime, I?m also ok taking a flier on a day 2 or 3 QB to come in as QB3 to start the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not just trying to argue with you. I genuinely think trading a bunch for Fields isn't a good idea. Because he hasn't proven that he's a QB that can win at the NFL level.

If he was a UFA we could pick up for a reasonable price, I'd be much more interested in running the experiment.

There is some chance that he makes it. Just like there's some chance that Kenny makes it. I wouldn't want to bet on either with what we already know. But the thing is, we don't have to spend additional assets to see Kenny's trajectory play out. And if he isn't good, I think we're only investing one more year (maybe not a whole season) of time into him before we move on. If you spend a bunch (again assets and the option that you basically have to exercise), you aren't going to bail on Fields after just a year.

But I don't like the cost in terms of assets or cap dollars (because trading for him and not exercising the option is silly IMO).

And I think it's a bad bet to put that much down on a guy who hasn't been good in years 1-3 when you only have 1-2 years left to figure it out.

As I said, if we were to trade DJ (which I don't think we'll do)...I'd rather trade him for an asset we can use to get a mystery box at QB. Rather than a half-opened present that doesn't look like what we want.
    Fields' RZ completion % is on par with Herbert and Love and a big step up from Pickett. And it's not like Fields had better weapons to throw to either. So there is that to hang on to .

But I'm like you. The most I would consider in a trade is maybe a 3rd round pick. Take it or leave it.