Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: Colbert dismisses analytics

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Colbert dismisses analytics

    Shocker. Steelers still way behind the curve.

    https://steelersnow.com/former-steel...s-let-me-know/

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Shocker. Steelers still way behind the curve.

    https://steelersnow.com/former-steel...s-let-me-know/
    Not sure what you read

    “At the end of my career with the Steelers, obviously it came into play, and I used to encourage our younger scouts. I said, ‘Keep me up to date. Tell me what I’m missing.’ We had analytics people, and I used to challenge them. I said, ‘When you guys can measure the intangibles, let me know.’ Because that’s the most important thing.”
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Maybe ask Colbert why his division rival, with one of the larger analytics groups, had better drafts the last half dozen seasons? Apparently Colbert was no better at the 'intangibles' than the analytics gurus, but they were obviously better at identifying performance.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I do agree with him that intangibles are crucially important, it's the difference a guy who is just very talented and a guy who is a champion level player. Hines Ward is an example, Montana another, Brady, etc. Brady and Montana definitely weren't the most talented QBs to ever play the game, look where Brady was drafted for example.

    Analytics are also important as well of course.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    I do agree with him that intangibles are crucially important, it's the difference a guy who is just very talented and a guy who is a champion level player. Hines Ward is an example, Montana another, Brady, etc. Brady and Montana definitely weren't the most talented QBs to ever play the game, look where Brady was drafted for example.

    Analytics are also important as well of course.
    How do you measure intangibles, with or without analytics? His flippant answer seems to indicate he had his finger on the pulse, which he clearly did not.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    How do you measure intangibles, with or without analytics? His flippant answer seems to indicate he had his finger on the pulse, which he clearly did not.
    I read it as analytics are a part of football but not the end all, be all.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    need to evaluate both analytics and intangibles

    KC is a dinosaur, good that he's moved on

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    How do you measure intangibles, with or without analytics? His flippant answer seems to indicate he had his finger on the pulse, which he clearly did not.
    Good question, I don't know, maybe some coaches/scouts/execs have more of a pulse on that or can see those qualities better than others, ie, good evaluators. I'm just saying I agree with what he is saying about intangibles in general but maybe he's just using that as a cover for his own shortcomings though lol.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    need to evaluate both analytics and intangibles

    KC is a dinosaur, good that he's moved on
    Tangibles are important too.

    Like when one player is better in ever recorded stat than another player, you don't have to think too hard about who had the better year.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Tangibles are important too.

    Like when one player is better in ever recorded stat than another player, you don't have to think too hard about who had the better year.

    Unless its DPOTY.

    Where you can lead in every stat but lose out due to advanced analytics.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •