Needs--Draft or Free Agency

For the purpose of discussion, let's say our priority needs are in order:

Off Tackle
    Cornerback
    Center
    Defensive Live
    Safety
    Inside Linebacker

How best to fill the need for these positions? Do we go aggressively in free agency or focus on the draft.

What are your thoughts?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Fill all of the spots in FA and then take BPA come draft time.

You really don’t know how things will play out in the draft until it happens.

Although, S and ILB should be fairly cheap to get good players via FA.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    For the purpose of discussion, let's say our priority needs are in order:

Off Tackle
    Cornerback
    Center
    Defensive Live
    Safety
    Inside Linebacker

How best to fill the need for these positions? Do we go aggressively in free agency or focus on the draft.

What are your thoughts?
    Without looking at the FA lists, I'd say the last three are probably easier to fill that way, LT and CBs are really expensive if you want good ones, would rather draft. And there are supposedly 3 really good centers in the draft, so should be able to get one in round 2.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This is the failed strategy they've employed for years, they're not filling holes, they're papering over them. We could have an ILB jersey similar to that Browns QB jersey with all the names on the back.

Sign one or two impact guys, draft others.

Legend

User Info Menu

If he makes it to FA, I'd spend whatever to get Jaylon Johnson
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Or Patrick Queen. Quality over quantity.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Or Patrick Queen. Quality over quantity.
    I'd be interested if he's available.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they already said they weren't going to let him get to UFA. So I think they'll tag him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    was having this conversation just earlier today. The Colbert way was to fill all the holes with lower tier FAs before the draft so that you could pick BPA. However, we have seen quite a few things lately that remind us that Colbert is no longer around. Will the changing of the guard be seen here as well? Will the Steelers go for a different approach and sign an impact FA or two instead of filling every hole? Knowing that if they can't fill a position in the draft they might be stuck somewhere with a UDFA or bottom of the barrel FA somewhere?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    This is the failed strategy they've employed for years, they're not filling holes, they're papering over them. We could have an ILB jersey similar to that Browns QB jersey with all the names on the back.

Sign one or two impact guys, draft others.
    So you think that going into the draft needing to draft particular positions is not a failed strategy?

Drafting primarily for need is how you get Artie Burns.

And while it's possible for us to sign more impact guys in UFA now (e.g. Isaac S, Daniels), that wasn't really an option when we had one of the highest cap hit QBs on the roster.

My guess is that the hit rate on high value UFAs tends to be not great. You are "buying in" on guys at the highest price possible...often when they are at the end of their prime years so they decline while on the high value contract. It's a price that the team that knows them the best doesn't think is reasonable (although sometimes it's just because that team has a high cap hit QB).

The strategy Flippy is advocating (which the Steelers will likely continue) is reach insurance. And my guess is that the times we didn't use it, are pretty highly correlated to the times where we have bad 1st round picks.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-13-2024 at 08:34 AM.