Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade the entire draft for a QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Trade the entire draft for a QB

KC moved up 17 spots for Mahomes, if Williams or Maye is that guy, go get him. Until we can compete with the top QBs in the league, we're peeing into a fan. SF has a much better roster and coaching staff than the Steelers, and still couldn't beat a KC team that has flaws.

Steelers about to embark on a 2024 cross-country flight with one engine and a quarter tank of gas.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

If we like a guy that falls to 10 or so (like pm did), I think this wouldn't be a bad idea.

But we won't be able to move up 17 spots like they did.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-12-2024 at 11:07 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    KC moved up 17 spots for Mahomes, if Williams or Maye is that guy, go get him. Until we can compete with the top QBs in the league, we're peeing into a fan. SF has a much better roster and coaching staff than the Steelers, and still couldn't beat a KC team that has flaws.

Steelers about to embark on a 2024 cross-country flight with one engine and a quarter tank of gas.
    While I agree with you that we need a top QB, I don't know that it makes sense to trade the house to get one in the first. Would you think any differently if SF had won? They were really, REALLY close to doing so. It was such an extremely close game, where SF had the lead for a long time and it had to go into OT. Purdy is still a young guy and he played a clean game. The moment wasn't too big for him. I was expecting him to make a dumb mistake in that game, and he didn't.

I'm more concerned that we don't seem very good at getting the best out of talent we bring in, than I am with striking gold in the first round.
    Last edited by Eich; 02-12-2024 at 10:00 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think it matters until we get a system and coaching in place that will allow a QB to do what you are envisioning. If Purdy was on the Steelers, for example, I seriously his stats would be any different than the QBs that are already on the roster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    While I agree with you that we need a top QB, I don't know that it makes sense to trade the house to get one in the first. Would you think any differently if SF had won? They were really, REALLY close to doing so. It was such an extremely close game, where SF had the lead for a long time and it had to go into OT. Purdy is still a young guy and he played a clean game. The moment wasn't too big for him. I was expecting him to make a dumb mistake in that game, and he didn't.

I'm more concerned that we don't seem very good at getting the best out of talent we bring in, than I am with striking gold in the first round.
    A top two pick will cost a lot more than our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks! Try next years 1st and 2nd, and 2026 1st round pick. This is for openers. I'm shocked that our new OC want to bring in a 36 year old man who's best years are behind him ... and they were merely good.

A draft is a projection on a player that has not played in the NFL, and we don't know exactly how he will pan out. Now If Kansas City wants to take a trade for Mahomes I'm willing to listen to thier teams... BUT they are not!
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Current mock draft as of 3-18-24

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    I don't think it matters until we get a system and coaching in place that will allow a QB to do what you are envisioning. If Purdy was on the Steelers, for example, I seriously his stats would be any different than the QBs that are already on the roster.
    I do think Purdy wouldn't have the stats that he has now with us. But I think he'd still have a good W-L record.

And we did see a change in our offense when we changed our QB at the end of the year. So maybe having Purdy would do more for our stats than you and I would expect?

Legend

User Info Menu

...and San Francisco got their Super Bowl QB with the last pick of the draft

The Ricky Williams trade everything for one player is stupid.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...and San Francisco got their Super Bowl QB with the last pick of the draft

The Ricky Williams trade everything for one player is stupid.
    They've gotten to Super Bowls with Kaep, Garoppolo, and Purdy -- it's the entire system, not the QB. Which do you think would be easier to replicate?

Steelers need a QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

They've gotten to Super Bowls with Kaep, Garoppolo, and Purdy -- it's the entire system, not the QB. Which do you think would be easier to replicate?

Steelers need a QB.
    I do think they have a great system and lots of elite skill players around a QB. And I think their QB is better than his pedigree...and likely looks better than he is because of the system and surrounding cast. But I thought the same thing about Brady at that point in his career too.

They have also consistently had a very good defense.

I do wonder how they would have looked in the AFC playoffs against teams with good QBs. But you can only play the teams on your schedule.