Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Words to play by from Coach Noll

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Words to play by from Coach Noll

    The day Chuck Noll stopped a play and asked me what I was doing-- would give me a new perspective of what I was doing with my craft and for my team!


    When he blew the whistle and stopped the play, John Stallworth was running down the sideline from a pass Bubby Brister had thrown.


    John was on the other side of the field from where I was.


    My response to that question Chuck Noll had asked was, "Nothing."


    He then proceeded to point out all the things I could have been doing to help that play and the team versus just standing there doing nothing!


    If I could rewind all the way back to the huddle before we left, and you asked me, are you doing your part, for the team and in your profession, I would have said yes with 100% conviction.


    I was always prepared. I always played hard.


    Well on that day my eyes were opened to more that I could and should be doing on every play for my team and my craft.


    I took that challenge on that day and made it a part of my craft.


    It took me from being on a team to a starter for nearly a decade!


    Be uncommon! Is there more you can and should be doing for your craft and your team?


    Don?t be common, that is the easy way. Be uncommon, it's more rewarding!


    Being uncommon will separate you from everyone else that is common. Do the maximum, not the minimum.


    Chuck Noll challenged me to self-reflect about the kind of player I was versus what I could be.

    Merril Hoge

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

    ?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    The day Chuck Noll stopped a play and asked me what I was doing-- would give me a new perspective of what I was doing with my craft and for my team!


    When he blew the whistle and stopped the play, John Stallworth was running down the sideline from a pass Bubby Brister had thrown.


    John was on the other side of the field from where I was.


    My response to that question Chuck Noll had asked was, "Nothing."


    He then proceeded to point out all the things I could have been doing to help that play and the team versus just standing there doing nothing!


    If I could rewind all the way back to the huddle before we left, and you asked me, are you doing your part, for the team and in your profession, I would have said yes with 100% conviction.


    I was always prepared. I always played hard.


    Well on that day my eyes were opened to more that I could and should be doing on every play for my team and my craft.


    I took that challenge on that day and made it a part of my craft.


    It took me from being on a team to a starter for nearly a decade!


    Be uncommon! Is there more you can and should be doing for your craft and your team?


    Don?t be common, that is the easy way. Be uncommon, it's more rewarding!


    Being uncommon will separate you from everyone else that is common. Do the maximum, not the minimum.


    Chuck Noll challenged me to self-reflect about the kind of player I was versus what I could be.

    Merril Hoge
    Very nice….




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    They talk about the sign of a good offensive linemen "looking for work" when their assignment doesn't rush. The same should apply to every offensive player.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    The day Chuck Noll stopped a play and asked me what I was doing-- would give me a new perspective of what I was doing with my craft and for my team!


    When he blew the whistle and stopped the play, John Stallworth was running down the sideline from a pass Bubby Brister had thrown.


    John was on the other side of the field from where I was.


    My response to that question Chuck Noll had asked was, "Nothing."


    He then proceeded to point out all the things I could have been doing to help that play and the team versus just standing there doing nothing!


    If I could rewind all the way back to the huddle before we left, and you asked me, are you doing your part, for the team and in your profession, I would have said yes with 100% conviction.


    I was always prepared. I always played hard.


    Well on that day my eyes were opened to more that I could and should be doing on every play for my team and my craft.


    I took that challenge on that day and made it a part of my craft.


    It took me from being on a team to a starter for nearly a decade!


    Be uncommon! Is there more you can and should be doing for your craft and your team?


    Don?t be common, that is the easy way. Be uncommon, it's more rewarding!


    Being uncommon will separate you from everyone else that is common. Do the maximum, not the minimum.


    Chuck Noll challenged me to self-reflect about the kind of player I was versus what I could be.

    Merril Hoge
    Good post. Chuck was a great coach. While he wasn't a media quote guy, he was a heck of a GM / coach. A teacher of the game and expert of dealing with multiple personalities. A quit type of coaching genius who IMO is underrated a bit today.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

    Our 2024 draft is grade A.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    The day Chuck Noll stopped a play and asked me what I was doing-- would give me a new perspective of what I was doing with my craft and for my team!

    When he blew the whistle and stopped the play, John Stallworth was running down the sideline from a pass Bubby Brister had thrown.

    John was on the other side of the field from where I was.

    My response to that question Chuck Noll had asked was, "Nothing."

    He then proceeded to point out all the things I could have been doing to help that play and the team versus just standing there doing nothing!

    If I could rewind all the way back to the huddle before we left, and you asked me, are you doing your part, for the team and in your profession, I would have said yes with 100% conviction.

    I was always prepared. I always played hard.

    Well on that day my eyes were opened to more that I could and should be doing on every play for my team and my craft.

    I took that challenge on that day and made it a part of my craft.

    It took me from being on a team to a starter for nearly a decade!

    Be uncommon! Is there more you can and should be doing for your craft and your team?

    Don?t be common, that is the easy way. Be uncommon, it's more rewarding!

    Being uncommon will separate you from everyone else that is common. Do the maximum, not the minimum.

    Chuck Noll challenged me to self-reflect about the kind of player I was versus what I could be.

    Merril Hoge
    George Pickens might want to read this.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

    What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

    Gloat gloat gloat


    Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

    My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    They talk about the sign of a good offensive linemen "looking for work" when their assignment doesn't rush. The same should apply to every offensive player.
    And if it doesn't, blame the media for pointing it out.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    George Pickens might want to read this.
    My thoughts exactly.

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

    ?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Mike Tomlin should read that as well. Students, well most of the do not educate themselves.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

    Our 2024 draft is grade A.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Good post. Chuck was a great coach. While he wasn't a media quote guy, he was a heck of a GM / coach. A teacher of the game and expert of dealing with multiple personalities. A quit type of coaching genius who IMO is underrated a bit today.
    Agree 100%

    Sadly, I think he's underrated by even a lot of Steelers fans

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Hoge would have been solid under any coach. That’s just the way he is. Why do you think Noll helped select him?

    character mattered more back then.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •