View Poll Results: Mason Rudolph or Ryan Tannehill?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mason Rudolph

14 70.00%
  • Ryan Tannehill

3 15.00%
  • Neither, we need to do better

3 15.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Mason Rudolph or Ryan Tannehill?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Moreover, keeping Mason just sets you up for a QB controversy.

If you're committed to Pickett, go with him. If he fails, you draft a new one sooner.

I personally have no interest in 2-3 years of KP vs MR discussions. Either Pickett is the man, or you go get one in the '25 draft.

I think most people are completely missing THIS point.
    True, the local media would love it. Every smile, grimace, etc would be overanalyzed and used as a weapon against a QB.

and the way our fans act they would scream for the other QB after an INT or incompletion.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Gotta go Mason, he's younger and would be less expensive. Tannehill will be 36 next season, would definitely cost more and was never really a great QB imo. I mean neither QB is taking the Steelers to the SB so gotta go with the younger and cheaper option.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think Tannehill will cost a fair amount more than mason will.

His last contract was $75M for 4 years (plus 2 dummy years).

He won't get that again, but I think he'll still be a fair bit more than Mason (probably 2x).

He's in a weird spot where he's not good enough to be a "win now" splurge. And he's too old to be a medium to long term play.

I think it would be a bad decision to bring him in unless he was very cheap (and I don't think he will be).
    Tannehill should be affordable. He is backup QB status now.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    He will definitely cost more than Rudolph. Mason has barely even played in recent years and before the 3 games this season nobody else in the NFL was even interested in him. Tannehill has been a starter for a long time and has a body of work, Mason doesn't really have that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    IMO, Tannehill was a better QB than Mason will ever be. The only question is if he can be that kind of QB ever again, at age 35 and with the injuries he's dealt with. His 2020 stats were 33 TDs to 7 INTs. I don't see Mason having those kinds of numbers ever.

Coming off an Achilles injury, I don't see Tannehill matching Tannehill's numbers either
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Moreover, keeping Mason just sets you up for a QB controversy.

If you're committed to Pickett, go with him. If he fails, you draft a new one sooner.

I personally have no interest in 2-3 years of KP vs MR discussions. Either Pickett is the man, or you go get one in the '25 draft.

I think most people are completely missing THIS point.
    It's only an issue if Pickett continues to crap the bed. If he does, then it SHOULD be an issue
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't believe that Mason has been given the due diligence on this potential. His first time out, the team was not what it should have been, he was young and BB was getting ALL the reps in practice. We simply saw a glimpse this past season of what he's capable of. Is he the next franchise QB? Probably not. But he stands in the pocket, goes through his progressions, and will take a shot to the chops to deliver a strike down field. That's a little better than KP spinning left and straight into a sack, imho. I think the Tannehill conversation should be tabled until the choice is made to either keep MR, or let him walk.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    My guess is that he ends up earning more than Mason...but we'll see I guess.

I do think he's (RT) in a weird spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think we'll have QB drama at the beginning on this season no matter what we do after Kenny was "not benched" at the end of the year.

But it's not something that's going to be drawn out over multiple seasons IMO.

Tomlin was talking about how it's a very big year for Kenny this year. I think that means if he doesn't look average to above average, we're drafting someone else next season.

Unless whoever else we bring in looks average to above average.
    Except, if KP struggled, then Mason came in and did look average, QB just wouldn't be as high a priority. I think he's a good dude, but he's not that guy.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Except, if KP struggled, then Mason came in and did look average, QB just wouldn't be as high a priority. I think he's a good dude, but he's not that guy.
    Maybe. But I think it would still be a pretty high priority.

Because at that point we would be giving up on KP.

The good news about already having an average-ish guy when you're fishing for a new guy is that you don't have to go into the draft thinking "we have to pick a QB in the first come hell or high water".

I think that was our mindset going into the Pickett draft. We'll never know because Kenny fell to us and it was a reasonable bet (IMO); but I think that it was QB no matter what that draft. And I just don't think that's a good process.