Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Slot Receiver, Hello Fullback: Two Shifts For Arthur Smith's Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Thanks for posting!
    Check around some.
    I found several publications that had numerous other FBs listed.
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    A good slot receiver is worth a lot more than a good Fullback. Football is like a game of physical chess. I used to play chess and had a 1550 rating, if any of you want to play me, PM me!

Anyway I can name lots of good receivers in the slot, but maybe two decent FB's. The slot WR impacts the game more. If Smith's offense values FB over a 3rd receiver in general, he is not the coordinator we are looking for. FB is a part time position in the modern NFL.
    That’s all true if you are running a modern nfl offense and are trying to score a lot of points.
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Here is list of Top 5 "Full backs" in this draft

https://bnbfootball.com/2024-nfl-dra...back-rankings/
    All FB in the draft can be found on day three. The is an interesting FB who played for a small school at the Senior bowl. I not against giving the roster spot to one IF he can block well, and he plays special teams well. He need to catch it well AND pass block well. Such a player fits in the jumbo packager at TE of FB.

But a FB or low priory and should be priority over say a backup tackle, 3-4WR, a 5th DB, or basically any other position except for LS and the average punter.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    A good slot receiver is worth a lot more than a good Fullback. Football is like a game of physical chess. I used to play chess and had a 1550 rating, if any of you want to play me, PM me!

Anyway I can name lots of good receivers in the slot, but maybe two decent FB's. The slot WR impacts the game more. If Smith's offense values FB over a 3rd receiver in general, he is not the coordinator we are looking for. FB is a part time position in the modern NFL.
    I like 11 personnel. But Smith doesn't (at least based on how often his offenses have used it).

That suggests that slot WR won't be a super important role for us. Maybe they can get Robinson to bring his salary way down and / or have Boykin take more snaps there. Not sure, but I think Smith likes that slot guy to block. Not sure what that means for CAIII (although I think I remember him being willing to block this year a couple of times?).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    The 3rd guy from Michigan is intriguing since he can play FB/LB and special teams.
    Seems like this is what you want to be able to do if you're a FB. Because you want that bottom of the depth chart role, so you need to be good at a lot of things.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why not use Heyward for the few times they need a FB. No need to waste a draft pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Why not use Heyward for the few times they need a FB. No need to waste a draft pick.
    I’m seeing smith uses the FB 20% of the time.
    I think we need to take the best one in the draft,6th round, and then sign a couple more after the draft.
    If we are truly running HIS offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    That’s all true if you are running a modern nfl offense and are trying to score a lot of points.
    Last seasons Eagles scored more playoff points than ANY TEAM in years. Including the Chiefs.

3rd in rush attempts

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Last seasons Eagles scored more playoff points than ANY TEAM in years. Including the Chiefs.

3rd in rush attempts
    How’d they do this post season ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    FWIW, I read or heard that PFF had Heyward as the best (or at least among the best) blocking TEs in the league.