Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Plenty of options available as Steelers pursue competition for Kenny Pickett at QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    I think you're right -- I think Tomlin wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl without a franchise QB. Or his idea of a franchise QB is much different than everyone else's.
    You make it sound like franchise QB’s are just sauntering around the South Side like its the Walking Dead.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Maybe so. And if so, they really have the formula for getting the most out of a rookie QB.
    SF has made SB’s with Kaep, Jimmy G and Purdy. They seem to do pretty well with putting QB’s in positions to win. Still no rings yet but they have a formula that works for getting the most out of their QB’s.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You make it sound like franchise QB’s are just sauntering around the South Side like its the Walking Dead.
    That's a good description of how the Steelers move. They don't have one now, so keep looking. Just wasting another year with Kenny and Mason isn't getting them any closer to a Super Bowl.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    SF has made SB’s with Kaep, Jimmy G and Purdy. They seem to do pretty well with putting QB’s in positions to win. Still no rings yet but they have a formula that works for getting the most out of their QB’s.
    They are certainly the model for what to do with average-ish QB talent.

Have a great defense. And great skill players.

But FWIW I think they would have had less success on our side of the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I stand by cutting Mitch, let Mason and Pickett battle it out for #1, and drafting Mike Pratt, QB, Tulane as #3. I think we can get him in round 4.
    Quarterbacks Underwhelm Early

Day one is always so tricky for quarterbacks, as they have a ton of learning and feeling out to do with the new players around them, but for a group billed to be pretty solid, it didn't exactly get off to a great start. Michael Penix's accuracy/placement concerns continued to rear their ugly head as throws weren't in the ideal spot.

Bo Nix has had quite the pickup in draft hype in the past few weeks, but his negatives as a passer were also apparent from the jump. Nix seemed to be moving off progressions early, not managing the pocket well and skipping some balls into the turf whenever his feet were unsettled.

If there was one quarterback who showed a little bit, it was probably Michael Pratt, who seemed to show an aggressive mindset being able to deliver into tighter windows in seven on sevens. He also gave his receivers a chance in the one on ones on a vertical plane, showing solid ball placement. Have to see if he can continue to build on a decent day one, but he made a solid first impression.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...used-one-group
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Is any one but me wondering why Tomlin is so high on Rudolph to challenge and compete for the starting position when Tomlin made him 3rd string this year and placed him a the scout squad all of last year?
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    I think you're right -- I think Tomlin wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl without a franchise QB. Or his idea of a franchise QB is much different than everyone else's.
    I'd like to see him prove he can win a playoff game with or without a franchise quarterback.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Quarterbacks Underwhelm Early

Day one is always so tricky for quarterbacks, as they have a ton of learning and feeling out to do with the new players around them, but for a group billed to be pretty solid, it didn't exactly get off to a great start. Michael Penix's accuracy/placement concerns continued to rear their ugly head as throws weren't in the ideal spot.

Bo Nix has had quite the pickup in draft hype in the past few weeks, but his negatives as a passer were also apparent from the jump. Nix seemed to be moving off progressions early, not managing the pocket well and skipping some balls into the turf whenever his feet were unsettled.

If there was one quarterback who showed a little bit, it was probably Michael Pratt, who seemed to show an aggressive mindset being able to deliver into tighter windows in seven on sevens. He also gave his receivers a chance in the one on ones on a vertical plane, showing solid ball placement. Have to see if he can continue to build on a decent day one, but he made a solid first impression.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...used-one-group
    See signature mock below on Pratt. Keep an eye on this kid.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Draft Projection Sees Big Upside in Picking Undervalued QB

By Dave Holcomb
    Updated Jan 31, 2024

After drafting Ben Roethlisberger in 2004, the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't take another quarterback before Day 3 for 14 years, when they drafted Mason Rudolph in the third round in 2018. But pundits have argued the Steelers could pursue quarterbacks early in the draft just two offseasons after selecting Kenny Pickett.

ESPN's Brooke Pryor is the latest reporter to consider the possibility, when she predicted the Steelers would target Florida State's Jordan Travis at No. 84 overall in the 2024 NFL draft.

At his end-of-season news conference, coach Mike Tomlin said Kenny Pickett will resume his status as the team's starting quarterback in 2024 but will have competition, Pryor wrote on January 31. Travis' season ended prematurely with a left lower-leg injury that will likely hamper him in the pre-draft evaluation period, but taking a swing on him could have big upside for the Steelers.

Travis is undersized, but his mobility, playmaking ability and pocket presence make him an intriguing prospect in a league that increasingly values quarterbacks with versatile skill sets to run the offense.

Draft analysts will likely consider taking Travis in the third round a big swing. Pryor's colleagues at ESPN have Travis ranked as the ninth-best quarterback and 145th overall player in the class.

The Pro Football Focus big board placed Travis at 141st overall. PFF also had him ranked ninth among signal callers.

Bleacher Report's draft experts, though, didn't have Travis rated as one of the top 150 players in the class.

What Jordan Travis Would Bring to Steelers

Travis' last college start that ended in a loss came on October 15, 2022. That fact alone won't get him drafted, but it's an impressive feat that could get him more notice.

Before suffering a season-ending leg injury, Travis led the Seminoles to an 11-0 record in 2023. He also had a 63.9% completion percentage with 2,756 passing yards, 20 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions.

In 2022, he had 24 touchdowns with just 5 picks. Travis averaged 8.8 yards per pass over his final 24 college games.

Pro Football Network's Ian Cummings had positive things to write about Travis. But he would also likely conclude drafting him at No. 84 overall is a reach.

Purely off his film grade, Travis grades out as an early-to-mid Day 3 prospect in the 2024 NFL Draft, who could be sought after as a backup in that range, Cummings wrote. His injury may complicate his capital, but Travis has enough physical talent and more than enough experience to be a valuable component in an NFL QB room.

Travis' arm strength is only above average at best. He'll also be 24 years old as a rookie. But outside of those notes, he's a smart, competitive, and well-rounded presence whose athleticism and creation capacity are at the very pinnacle of his position group.

Steelers Searching for Quarterback Competition

As Pryor wrote, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin stressed the team wants to add competition for Pickett in 2024.

While speaking to the media on January 29, Steelers president Art Rooney II emphasized how much the team needs to improve behind center. The Athletic's Mark Kaboly argued that Rooney put Pickett on notice.

I think the biggest thing we need is quality play at the quarterback position, Rooney said. Mason Rudolph came in and showed, I think, what we're capable of when we do get quality play at the quarterback position.

The Steelers prefer that competition for Pickett to come from Mason Rudolph. But he will be a free agent in March.

That makes the Steelers adding quarterback competition in the draft a distinct possibility. If the team doesn't take a risk in the first round, a big swing on a prospect such as Travis on Day 2 or 3 could be on the table.

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-...rbacks-rumors/
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 02-01-2024 at 02:34 AM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    See signature mock below on Pratt. Keep an eye on this kid.
    2024 Senior Bowl: Tulane QB Michael Pratt among five standouts from practice week

The quarterbacks are the story, but there's depth at key positions up and down the rosters here

By Ryan Wilson
    Feb 1, 2024

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...practice-week/

Gloat gloat gloat

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha