Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Plenty of options available as Steelers pursue competition for Kenny Pickett at QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Tomlin created a dilemma of his own doing when he declared Pickett as "QB1" while also saying he wants competition. Any perspective QB that expects a legitimate chance to start will look at the 'competition' as a farce.
    Players are aware of pressers and depth charts.

I think the main reason a lot of QB’s won’t come here is because of money. We aren’t giving a good vet QB $40+ Mill for 2 years.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Starting to sour on my Fields idea, he's had plenty of starts as well and still has fundamental problems seeing the field. Don't like any of the "high end" vets. Would have taken ARod the last couple of years.
    Rodgers? I think he's done, but we'll see. And I can't imagine what the board would have signed him to that deal and one pass attempt out of him in year 1.

But I agree that there aren't really any options out there better than run back Mason (or sign Minshew or similar). If someone we really like falls to within striking distance in the draft, I think we have to do it. But I wouldn't bet on that happening (either someone falling or us trading up for them).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-30-2024 at 11:04 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin created a dilemma of his own doing when he declared Pickett as "QB1" while also saying he wants competition. Any perspective QB that expects a legitimate chance to start will look at the 'competition' as a farce.
    Maybe...but I really think we're just going to sign Rudolph (instead of bringing someone else in from the outside).

And Mason already knows that: QB1 on the depth chart (when there aren't other QBs under contract) doesn't mean that much; and he's already started critical games at QB2 when this particular QB1 was healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Maybe...but I really think we're just going to sign Rudolph (instead of bringing someone else in from the outside).

And Mason already knows that: QB1 on the depth chart (when there aren't other QBs under contract) doesn't mean that much; and he's already started critical games at QB2 when this particular QB1 was healthy.
    You're making a big assumption that MR will sign with the Steelers. I would not be surprised to see him end up somewhere like Atlanta or Minnesota where there truly is uncertainty in the QB room.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

I think you're right -- I think Tomlin wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl without a franchise QB. Or his idea of a franchise QB is much different than everyone else's.

Legend

User Info Menu

You're making a big assumption that MR will sign with the Steelers. I would not be surprised to see him end up somewhere like Atlanta or Minnesota where there truly is uncertainty in the QB room.
    Cousins is close to an extension, I think Minn is out.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think you're right -- I think Tomlin wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl without a franchise QB. Or his idea of a franchise QB is much different than everyone else's.
    Not sure about that. He often praised the fact that he had Ben and that having him meant that they were always in it.

Tomlin wants a franchise QB IMO. But it's not easy to get one. They drafted Mason, hoping. They drafted Pickett, hoping. But it's just not easy to do, especially when you're finishing with a winning record every year.

What's frustrating to me, is that even if we had landed the next Purdy, we wasted two years with a system that would have made him look mediocre, or worse.

I'm hoping Tomlin learned some kind of lesson with the way he wanted to protect Pickett for the sake of having a winning record. It's time to put a QB on the field day one, with the intention of preparing him to win playoff games. Use the full field all season long. Have creative game plans that attack the opponent's weakness, all season long. Let the cards fall where they may. If the QB can't hang, he's not the one. Move on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Not sure about that. He often praised the fact that he had Ben and that having him meant that they were always in it.

Tomlin wants a franchise QB IMO. But it's not easy to get one. They drafted Mason, hoping. They drafted Pickett, hoping. But it's just not easy to do, especially when you're finishing with a winning record every year.

What's frustrating to me, is that even if we had landed the next Purdy, we wasted two years with a system that would have made him look mediocre, or worse.

I'm hoping Tomlin learned some kind of lesson with the way he wanted to protect Pickett for the sake of having a winning record. It's time to put a QB on the field day one, with the intention of preparing him to win playoff games. Use the full field all season long. Have creative game plans that attack the opponent's weakness, all season long. Let the cards fall where they may. If the QB can't hang, he's not the one. Move on.
    Purdy's not a franchise QB. SF will tell you that in a couple years when he's due a pay raise.

Legend

User Info Menu

Purdy's not a franchise QB. SF will tell you that in a couple years when he's due a pay raise.
    Maybe so. And if so, they really have the formula for getting the most out of a rookie QB.