Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teryl Austin get two-year extension

Legend

User Info Menu

Teryl Austin get two-year extension

Just saw on depot. No issue with this.

He did a good job even losing his two starting inside LBs, his All Pro Safety for a significant part of the season. Never really had a strong #2 safety
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

He did a good job even losing his two starting inside LBs, his All Pro Safety for a significant part of the season. Never really had a strong #2 safety
    Austin was average. He is cheap hire by Tomlin. Our defense has some great players on it and a few very good ones.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

He did have to deal with a ton of injuries.

That ILB position is cursed.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    He did have to deal with a ton of injuries.

That ILB position is cursed.
    First of all, good resigning, he and Tomlin work well together, but it's the approach to the ILB position that's cursed. Holcomb and Alexander came cheap because of their injury history, bit them in the arse.

The Ravens assembled the best ILB tandem in the league in one season by seriously addressing it. The Steelers have been trying to paper over the same hole for 7 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    First of all, good resigning, he and Tomlin work well together, but it's the approach to the ILB position that's cursed. Holcomb and Alexander came cheap because of their injury history, bit them in the arse.

The Ravens assembled the best ILB tandem in the league in one season by seriously addressing it. The Steelers have been trying to paper over the same hole for 7 years.
    I agree with this.

Need to replace Shazier with a young stud like Trotter in upcoming draft. Move beyond stream of aging vets although I think Holcomb was good
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-25-2024 at 09:08 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

It's a window that is closing for them. Smith's cap hit next season is $13M+. Queen is a FA (and he was probably playing under his market value this season).

Legend

User Info Menu

we had an injury to Bush after a solid rookie season.

and even if Holcomb was injury free there is no way he avoids that injury. I can see if its non contact but he got hit by friendly fire.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with this.

Need to replace Shazier with a young stud like Trotter in upcoming draft. Move beyond stream of aging vets although I think Holcomb was good
    We don't need an old school ILB. We need a tall cover guy, a man who can move and play the run. The position of linebacker is changing ...

Holcomb I think will have a bigger role in the defense.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    We don't need an old school ILB. We need a tall cover guy, a man who can move and play the run. The position of linebacker is changing ...

Holcomb I think will have a bigger role in the defense.
    if he can stay healthy
    need some depth at the position for sure

Legend

User Info Menu

Austin is a good coach so I’m happy about this. An improved offense will also result in an improved defense.