Thread: 8 candidates for the Steelers' offensive coordinator vacancy

Legend

User Info Menu

8 candidates for the Steelers' offensive coordinator vacancy

8 candidates for the Steelers' offensive coordinator vacancy

Any of these eight coaches would be great hires for Pittsburgh

By Jarrett Bailey Jan 17, 2024

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...houston-texans
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

in all honesty,

Does anyone think they will deviate from promoting from within. It seems to be the rule rather than the exception over the last 17 years. I want to be hopeful...but as I said in the other thread of "Frankly Speaking", the current head coach will need to be open to changing his approach.

Brothervad

Legend

User Info Menu

This does indicate Van Pelt was fired this morning. I think there was conflicting reports.

If I'm a betting man Teryl Austin will get the job.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Legend

User Info Menu

Alex Van Pelt should get every consideration.

Think of the revenge motivation every time we play the Browns
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

No to Martin, Bobo and Waldron.
    The others sound good on paper, but so did Canada.
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Kubiak should be on their short list.

Also for consideration; Jeff Stoutland - Eagles Run game coordinator/OL coach - an OL that has 5 pro bowlers and 4 all-pros on it. Just what the doctor ordered for upgrading the Steelers OL.

Legend

User Info Menu

The one wrinkle in Steelers search for next offensive coordinator

Allison Koehler
    January 16, 2024

Should the Pittsburgh Steelers go outside their organization for an offensive coordinator for the first time in a dozen years (Todd Haley, 2012), their options could be limited.

It doesn't look like it now, but Mike Tomlin and the Steelers are beholden to Kenny Pickett as QB1 in 2024. They invested a first-round draft pick on him, and we all know how rare it is for Tomlin to walk back a decision like that, no matter what the consequences.

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly feels Pickett as the cemented starter could weed out some quality candidates.

I think there will be some candidates out there who would only take the job if Pickett wasn't the starter, Kaboly wrote in a recent mailbag. If that's the case, then the Steelers wouldn't hire them. Like it or not, Pickett is going to be a part of this team for the next two years and could very well be inserted back into the starting lineup next year, so the new OC had better like what he's seen out of KP.

Tomlin won't hand over the keys of the offense to a new coordinator. Candidates and there are plenty newly out of work who want to come in with their own vision at QB will have to look elsewhere.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...y-pickett-nfl/
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 01-18-2024 at 01:57 AM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    The one wrinkle in Steelers search for next offensive coordinator

Allison Koehler
    January 16, 2024

Should the Pittsburgh Steelers go outside their organization for an offensive coordinator for the first time in a dozen years (Todd Haley, 2012), their options could be limited.

It doesn't look like it now, but Mike Tomlin and the Steelers are beholden to Kenny Pickett as QB1 in 2024. They invested a first-round draft pick on him, and we all know how rare it is for Tomlin to walk back a decision like that, no matter what the consequences.

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly feels Pickett as the cemented starter could weed out some quality candidates.

I think there will be some candidates out there who would only take the job if Pickett wasn't the starter, Kaboly wrote in a recent mailbag. If that's the case, then the Steelers wouldn't hire them. Like it or not, Pickett is going to be a part of this team for the next two years and could very well be inserted back into the starting lineup next year, so the new OC had better like what he's seen out of KP.

Tomlin won't hand over the keys of the offense to a new coordinator. Candidates and there are plenty newly out of work who want to come in with their own vision at QB will have to look elsewhere.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...y-pickett-nfl/
    The fact that Alex Van Pelt also played QB at Pitt makes me think that he would want to work with Kenny more than others.
    Obviously the standard is the standard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    in all honesty,

Does anyone think they will deviate from promoting from within. It seems to be the rule rather than the exception over the last 17 years. I want to be hopeful...but as I said in the other thread of "Frankly Speaking", the current head coach will need to be open to changing his approach.

Brothervad
    I think they will.

But maybe just because I want them to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    The fact that Alex Van Pelt also played QB at Pitt makes me think that he would want to work with Kenny more than others.
    Van Pelt is from the McCarthy coaching tree mostly with Rodgers at QB. Rodgers kinda did his own thing on offense so I'm not sure that is the right guy for the future of this offense. Steelers need someone who will design a system for KP and have him stick to it. I'd look for someone in Shanahan's or McVay's org.