Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankly Speaking: Tomlin pros, cons

Legend

User Info Menu

Frankly Speaking: Tomlin pros, cons

Frank Verdecchia didn't fall for the clickbait surrounding Mike Tomlin, and provides his preference regarding Steelers coach

Using the Steelers' playoff loss in Buffalo to oust Mike Tomlin is easy. It also is unfair.

It's clickbait fodder, a way to commit arson on a franchise that doesn't need to be burnt to the ground. Changes need to happen, but Tomlin isn't one of them, at least not yet.

What could he have done better as a head coach to change the outcome of Monday's wild card playoff loss? Think about it.

Tomlin didn't fail to secure the ball before fumbling it in the first quarter. George Pickens did.

Tomlin didn't toss an interception in the end zone from the Buffalo 4-yard line minutes later. Mason Rudolph did.

Tomlin didn't blatantly miss a tackle on a 190-pound Bills receiver that resulted in a game-sealing touchdown. Minkah Fitzpatrick did.

The Steelers played without T.J. Watt. That made Bills quarterback Josh Allen's job much easier. A future plumber started at inside linebacker. Practice-squad players continued to man positions. The offensive line failed to gain traction. And the officiating couldn't have been worse.

Officials flagged the Steelers six times for 50 yards and the Bills twice for 24. It's unwise to blame officials, but egregiously missed calls by a crew comprised of men pocketing bushels of money impacted the game. Three instances quickly come to mind:

to read more:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ach-225578494/
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 01-17-2024 at 02:31 PM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin doesn't score touchdowns or make 3rd down stops, either. If he gets no heat for losses, he gets no credit for wins.

Legend

User Info Menu

Frankly speaking on Tomlin?

The early over under on pages of this thread is 40
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

Frank Verdecchia didn't fall for the clickbait surrounding Mike Tomlin, and provides his preference regarding Steelers coach

Using the Steelers' playoff loss in Buffalo to oust Mike Tomlin is easy. It also is unfair.

It's clickbait fodder, a way to commit arson on a franchise that doesn't need to be burnt to the ground. Changes need to happen, but Tomlin isn't one of them, at least not yet.

What could he have done better as a head coach to change the outcome of Monday's wild card playoff loss? Think about it.

Tomlin didn't fail to secure the ball before fumbling it in the first quarter. George Pickens did.

Tomlin didn't toss an interception in the end zone from the Buffalo 4-yard line minutes later. Mason Rudolph did.

Tomlin didn't blatantly miss a tackle on a 190-pound Bills receiver that resulted in a game-sealing touchdown. Minkah Fitzpatrick did.

The Steelers played without T.J. Watt. That made Bills quarterback Josh Allen's job much easier. A future plumber started at inside linebacker. Practice-squad players continued to man positions. The offensive line failed to gain traction. And the officiating couldn't have been worse.

Officials flagged the Steelers six times for 50 yards and the Bills twice for 24. It's unwise to blame officials, but egregiously missed calls by a crew comprised of men pocketing bushels of money impacted the game. Three instances quickly come to mind:

to read more:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ach-225578494/
    HS,

The article is fair and mostly accurate. The problem lies in the proposed solutions...does the man have the ability to be self critical and realize his shortcomings and be receptive to changes in both staff and cutlture?

I think often the problem with any long tenured successful coaches...is that what worked before works now. Tomlin in his 30's could relate more to the players he coached...Tomlin is his 50's needs to adjust to the fact that these are younger, different players. Maybe he has made adjustments, probably has but they may not be the right ones and I think he needs to self assess and be open to change.

A new approach as stated in these articles and I will not only be moved from leaning on the off the fence in favor of his going (where I am now) to being completely on the other side of the fence where I will support givng him more time.

I don't need a super bowl to change my attitude...I just need to see the things he pointed out happen. I also just want the Steelers to be competitive in playoffs right now (no I don't think being at 21-0 then making it a 21-14 score is competitive when you lose 31-17, if you look at the some of the other playoff games in the past where they gave up a ton of points...they got those scores down to 12 points - Cleveland, and 7 points against Jags, finally losing only by 3).

I think if I see a Kenny Pickett/Mason Rudolph improvement (I am leaning more towards MR at this point but will also keep an open mind on KP) and they start winning games not always by the skin of their teeth in the last moments with their backs against the wall, but by sometimes actually dominating opposing teams...I will be on board.

I have actually posited the hypothesis that I feel that always playing so close is what leads to the decimation of our D due to injuries. Always playing close to the vest spells less rest to your starters late in the game and puts them in positions of having to put themselves in a position to make miraculous plays which can often lead to players putting themselves in harms way.

Being able to spell key players late in games would be beneficial once in a while...IMO.

Anyway, I know I lean towards a new fresh approach but I am willing to be open to the current coach...

Brothervad

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Frankly speaking on Tomlin?

The early over under on pages of this thread is 40
    Sorry my lengthy post is contributing to the over...

oh crap so is this one.

Legend

User Info Menu

I love how this jackhole acts as if this was a 1-time thing and not 7 years of playoff failure. Not one person, anywhere, was using this game as a litmus test for getting rid of him. Preposterous.

The one thing he gets right - we are all going to see if Rooney II is running things or if this has become the Tomlin show. Go get the best O coordinator they can find and turn over the O to him completely. Get Pickett a QB coach he can start working with as soon as allowed. Reevaluate every coaching position there is. ALL of them.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Counter point...

I feel this is a fair assessment from the other side on Mike Tomlin:

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/ky...e-getting-old/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Tomlin doesn't score touchdowns or make 3rd down stops, either. If he gets no heat for losses, he gets no credit for wins.
    Exactly.
    All we hear is ‘execution’ and I mostly agree with that.
    The flip side to that is who cares about the HC if player execution the only reason for wins and losses.
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

This kind of explanation is getting VERY old. With that mentality, the head coach is NEVER responsible for losing ANY games. Players make the mistakes. The players suck. Coach is absolved.

Tomlin made a bad choice to have Matt Canada as the offensive coordinator and IMO, stuck with him too long, wasting TWO years of Kenny's development. The 2023 Steelers put the worst looking offense on the field that I've ever seen in all my years. That's on Tomlin. Sure, no one is infallible. But someone has to be responsible for the decisions.

We keep getting SMASHED in the playoffs, especially in the first half of them. I don't remember the last one that we started out looking like we thought we belonged there. Maybe 2010? Otherwise, we eek out a "winning" record, occasionally back-in to the playoffs, then the talking heads laugh at us, saying we don't belong there, and then we go out and prove it.

I'm incredibly tired of the "never had a losing season" discussion. It's just dumb at this point.

Nothing will be more annoying to me with this team than if we promote within on the offensive coordinator position.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This article feels like it's just copy pasted from previous seasons of playoff failure under Tomlin. Did the Steelers PR secretly write this? Always blame players or find some other excuse.