Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben said Matt Canada didnt want to coach him

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben said Matt Canada didnt want to coach him

https://www.steelernation.com/2023/1...mb-matt-canada

Ive never seen a team with two coordinators before,? Roethlisberger responded. I would say this: as long as Ive been there, I worked really closely with the offensive coordinator. That was intentional, almost to the point where I felt like, at one point, BA [Bruce Arians] early on didn?t want a quarterback coach.

Quarterback coaches are the go-between when you are butting heads with the coordinator. I?ve always worked closely with the coordinator, even when I had a quarterback coach. I didn?t feel that with Matt. It almost felt like Matt wanted to let the quarterback coach coach me.?

"Right or wrong, maybe it's just the way he does it," Roethlisberger continued. "Maybe he just didn't want to do it with me. I don't really know that. That was the first time I felt I wasn't working directly with the coordinator. It seems weird. Maybe that is why Kenny feels more comfortable with Sully. Maybe the same thing was going on where Matt was more removed. 'I'm the coordinator. I'll coordinate. You work with Sully.'"

This is why the offense and Kenny looks better. Matt was just throwing plays at Kenny.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 11-30-2023 at 01:04 AM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    https://www.steelernation.com/2023/1...mb-matt-canada

Ive never seen a team with two coordinators before,? Roethlisberger responded. I would say this: as long as Ive been there, I worked really closely with the offensive coordinator. That was intentional, almost to the point where I felt like, at one point, BA [Bruce Arians] early on didn?t want a quarterback coach.

Quarterback coaches are the go-between when you are butting heads with the coordinator. I?ve always worked closely with the coordinator, even when I had a quarterback coach. I didn?t feel that with Matt. It almost felt like Matt wanted to let the quarterback coach coach me.?

"Right or wrong, maybe it's just the way he does it," Roethlisberger continued. "Maybe he just didn't want to do it with me. I don't really know that. That was the first time I felt I wasn't working directly with the coordinator. It seems weird. Maybe that is why Kenny feels more comfortable with Sully. Maybe the same thing was going on where Matt was more removed. 'I'm the coordinator. I'll coordinate. You work with Sully.'"

This is why the offense and Kenny looks better. Matt was just throwing plays at Kenny.

It's true. It's hard to imagine that anyone that designs an offense wouldn't want to work with the quarterback to teach them all the how's and why's of his offensive system. There is so much detail that goes into operating an offense. It is the little things that need to be taught, the nuances of the execution that make all the difference in the world.

This shows a great disconnect between what the OC wants done, and what the quarterback has in is head. It also creates a lot of doubt in the QB when it just doesn't all seem to make sense to him.

Canada was a disaster that alienated his QB, his offensive players, and probably some coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Matt Canada's biggest flaw sounds like he is a terrible teacher of football..."here's the play, run what I say, don't question it".
    For a young offense this is the worst kind of OC to have. Sure, you have position coaches. But somebody needs to put the whole offensive picture in front of the team and explain why they are doing what they are doing.
    My bet is the players probably openly questioned Canada but got pushback. "Just do what I tell you to do. Don't think."
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 11-30-2023 at 08:59 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Canada should have been let go after the 2021 season, they've now wasted 1.5 years of Kenny's start in the NFL, would have been 2 had Rooney not stepped in.

Legend

User Info Menu

Canada is gone, let's move forward with Faulkner and Sully.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

My early 2024 draft:

1.) OC - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C - Oregon
    2.) DL - D'Vondre Sweat, NT, Texas
    3.) ILB - Payton Wilson, ILB - NC State
    4a.) OT - Matt Goncalves, ROT - Pitt
    4b.) S -Tykee Smith - S - Georgia
    6.) CB - Marcellus Dial - CB - South Carolina
    7.) DT - Jamree Kromah DT James Madison

UDFA: P, WR, QB, TE

Sign Mason Rudolph

We don't apologize for winning!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So strange this was allowed to go on for almost 3 seasons and it's not like Canada was some established NFL OC with a great track record when he was hired, and it's not like the offense ever improved, very bizarre. Not a good look obviously for Tomlin/Rooney. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada was essentially hired to be a puppet for what Tomlin/Rooney wanted for the offense. Nothing else makes much sense other than outright incompetency.

I'm also willing to bet the other offensive coaches weren't allowed much input on the weekly game planning based on what we saw against the Bengals.

Legend

User Info Menu

Buffalo scored 32 points after firing their OC. That was +7 over their season average.
    The Steelers scored 16 points after firing their OC. That was +1 over their season average.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Matt Canada's biggest flaw sounds like he is a terrible teacher of football..."here's the play, run what I say, don't question it".
    For a young offense this is the worst kind of OC to have. Sure, you have position coaches. But somebody needs to put the whole offensive picture in front of the team and explain why they are doing what they are doing.
    My bet is the players probably openly questioned Canada but got pushback. "Just do what I tell you to do. Don't think."
    $$$ post. This is a bad look all around and shows why Kenny looked totally different one week later.

Canada sounds like a Josh McDaniels.. some guys just aren’t good at managing people.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Buffalo scored 32 points after firing their OC. That was +7 over their season average.
    The Steelers scored 16 points after firing their OC. That was +1 over their season average.
    And what conclusions do you draw from this exhaustive, in-depth, contextual research?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    $$$ post. This is a bad look all around and shows why Kenny looked totally different one week later.

Canada sounds like a Josh McDaniels.. some guys just aren’t good at managing people.
    I read an article on SD that Canada couldn't read defenses (makes sense) so how could he teach KP8? It's like me trying to teach you to speak French when I can't speak French. Article was from Terry Hanratty before MC was fired.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

My early 2024 draft:

1.) OC - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C - Oregon
    2.) DL - D'Vondre Sweat, NT, Texas
    3.) ILB - Payton Wilson, ILB - NC State
    4a.) OT - Matt Goncalves, ROT - Pitt
    4b.) S -Tykee Smith - S - Georgia
    6.) CB - Marcellus Dial - CB - South Carolina
    7.) DT - Jamree Kromah DT James Madison

UDFA: P, WR, QB, TE

Sign Mason Rudolph

We don't apologize for winning!