Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to he optimistic going forward

Legend

User Info Menu

Reasons to he optimistic going forward

We keep talking about how BAD our offense has been. Upset with the safe offense.

5 reasons for optimism

1. As much as people complain about the offense, why ONLY the focus on passing?

Our run game has not looked this good in YEARS people.

Since Jones insertion, IT WENT FROM BAD TO POSSIBLY ELITE IN THE SAME SEASON!!!

Not one but TWO capable backs and we have a FREE AGENT in Warren who might wind up ELITE.

We have TWO backs who are effective in the run AND pass game. One problem we had was predictability favoring the run with Najee, looks like we are getting smarter but we need to just stop that altogether.

I REALLY WANT to feature the 2 back set as our BASE. And yes, Warren needs to get more touches. I think he will. And both are cheap.

For those who want to completely diminish Najee remember, you don?t want to diminish his trade value. Now that the line is blocking, if he is running well make sure he gets touches. If he becomes a backup, he might go ?hostage?. No judgement ?I? might want out in that position. He has a small window to EARN as much as possible in his next deal. Being a backup would be a problem.

2. Robert?s. Did ANYONE ELSE NOTICE WHAT AN ABSOLUTE BEAST ROBERTS WAS LAST WEEK? We were UNDERSTANDABLY worried about the position due to injuries.

I would say that was THE BEST SINGLE PERFORMANCE AT THAT POSITION IN YEARS. Truth be told I think the platooning leaving him with the fewest reps hid how good he can be. He always was making tackles that made you go whoa. He was everywhere. I would suggest not only was he better than anyone in recent seasons, his performance equals that of an elite linebacker having and outstanding game. It was very Singletaryesque.

If he can be close to that, and considering our additions and the return of Cam, my level of panic over the injuries are greatly reduced.

3. The KIDS
    JPJ- Our best corner- excelling
    Jones- A RIDICULOUSLY athletic. Big key to our run game improvement mentioned above.
    Benton- Our best D-lineman before the return of Cam. Heck Cam might not yet have returned to a form that is better than Benton.

4. No Canada
    I know people will say it?s really Tomlin. I don?t doubt Tomlin is behind playing safe.
    But we SHOULD play safe. Kenny is not trustworthy.

I don?t know if we suddenly become gunslingers (won?t be shocked until Kenny messes up).

The reason Canadas being gone is helpful is that we can be much better at WHAT CALLS ARE MADE WHEN.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Big yes to your #4
    no Canada

has got to be a reason for optimism; after all, can't do much worse than we did under him, can we?

(your other points are good ones, too)

Legend

User Info Menu

Roberts is promising.
    Canada is gone.
    Minkah should be back soon.
    Running game is strong.

only worry is passing O and passing D.

We need both to improve to have a shot because the schedule is favorable.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    We keep talking about how BAD our offense has been. Upset with the safe offense.

5 reasons for optimism

Not one but TWO capable backs and we have a FREE AGENT in Warren who might wind up ELITE.

We have TWO backs who are effective in the run AND pass game. One problem we had was predictability favoring the run with Najee, looks like we are getting smarter but we need to just stop that altogether.

I REALLY WANT to feature the 2 back set as our BASE. And yes, Warren needs to get more touches. I think he will. And both are cheap.

For those who want to completely diminish Najee remember, you don?t want to diminish his trade value. Now that the line is blocking, if he is running well make sure he gets touches. If he becomes a backup, he might go ?hostage?. No judgement ?I? might want out in that position. He has a small window to EARN as much as possible in his next deal. Being a backup would be a problem.

2. Robert?s. Did ANYONE ELSE NOTICE WHAT AN ABSOLUTE BEAST ROBERTS WAS LAST WEEK? We were UNDERSTANDABLY worried about the position due to injuries.

I would say that was THE BEST SINGLE PERFORMANCE AT THAT POSITION IN YEARS. Truth be told I think the platooning leaving him with the fewest reps hid how good he can be. He always was making tackles that made you go whoa. He was everywhere. I would suggest not only was he better than anyone in recent seasons, his performance equals that of an elite linebacker having and outstanding game. It was very Singletaryesque.

If he can be close to that, and considering our additions and the return of Cam, my level of panic over the injuries are greatly reduced.

3. The KIDS
    Jones- A RIDICULOUSLY athletic. Big key to our run game improvement mentioned above.
    Benton- Our best D-lineman before the return of Cam. Heck Cam might not yet have returned to a form that is better than Benton.

4. No Canada
    I know people will say it?s really Tomlin. I don?t doubt Tomlin is behind playing safe.

I don?t know if we suddenly become gunslingers (won?t be shocked until Kenny messes up).

The reason Canadas being gone is helpful is that we can be much better at WHAT CALLS ARE MADE WHEN.
    Are you keeping the fifth reason a secret?

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    Like my pop always said, "The final reason is because I said so."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Like my pop always said, "The final reason is because I said so."
    Buzz, if I knew it was that easy I could have saved lots of time on my reply to YOU on the Tomlin Safe thread.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    It literally was supposed to be THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Minkah should be back soon.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

5 reasons for optimism

3. The KIDS

4. No Canada

Liking Roberts alot, he looks really good. For the folks wanting to get rid of Najee I would say pump the brakes. I liken the situation to the one Dallas had with Pollard and Zeke, Pollard was unstoppable with zeke back there but as soon as he became the lead back he has just been okay. The running game looks good and more touches will happen for Warren if the passing game gets on track.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like Fitz will not play again this week. In hindsight, they probably should have put him on IR to create a roster spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

For the millionth time, safe and smart >>>> safe and stupid/predictable. If you don't have an advanced offensive mind at OC and want to play "safe", this is what it looks like.