Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel was right! Warren is the future

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wish people would stop blaming the OL for Harris' deficiencies as a player. He just does not have a top gear or many moves. Warren gained 129 yards against Cleveland on 9 carries. If they would have given the ball to Harris 18 times in that game and Warren three times like they were doing at the beginning of Harris career, Harris would probably have gained about 45 and a 2.something average. And the fans would again have been whining to the heavens and how suck the Steelers line is, even with the addition of Broderick Jones.

There would have been posters saying we need to draft like this OL, OL and OL next year. A special back like Warren makes quick cuts, finds openings, runs through a few arm tackles and then is on his way. This makes the OL seem to be blocking much better. No way Harris goes 74 yards on the same play with the same blocking that Warren went the distance. Harris might have gotten 7 yards.
    Last edited by Steelerphile; 11-26-2023 at 09:27 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I wish people would stop blaming the OL for Harris' deficiencies as a player. He just does not have a top gear or many moves. Warren gained 129 yards against Cleveland on 9 carries. If they would have given the ball to Harris 18 times in that game and Warren three times like they were doing at the beginning of Harris career, Harris would probably have gained about 45 and a 2.something average. And the fans would again have been whining to the heavens and how suck the Steelers line is, even with the addition of Broderick Jones.

There would have been posters saying we need to draft like this OL, OL and OL next year. A special back like Warrens makes quick cuts, finds openings, runs through a few arm tackles and then is on his way. This makes the OL seem to be blocking much better. No way Harris goes 74 yards on the same play with the same blocking that Warren went the distance. Harris might have gotten 7 yards.
    Maybe not but there were many times Harris took the handoff with multiple defenders already in the backfield. It is because of the formation they try to run out of when Harris is in the game. It is a heavy formation with no pass threat and often gives away the direction of the run. Not saying he would have the same success as Warren but help the guy out a little, if I can call out the play before it happens then certainly the defense knows what's coming. Najee is tied for 3rd on 20+ yard runs in the league this year, so when he gets room he has had some good runs.
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 11-26-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

There would have been posters saying we need to draft like this OL, OL and OL next year. A special back like Warren makes quick cuts, finds openings, runs through a few arm tackles and then is on his way. This makes the OL seem to be blocking much better. No way Harris goes 74 yards on the same play with the same blocking that Warren went the distance. Harris might have gotten 7 yards.
    Some posters blame the OL but choose to ignore the facts.

Some posters just do not understand modern football

And some posters defend as if they are defending Mike Tomlin for keeping Najee Harris the starter.

Now I don't wish an injury on any player. Rather I predict the oh sensitive man from San Francisco will go diva on Tomlin in a quiet type of way, and that and not Warren superior play will be his reason for making Warren the starter.

IMO Warren should get 70% of the carries or more. He has had back to back 100 yards games and it would have been three in a row had Tomlin not used Harris as much as he did.

Warren could be a star player.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 11-26-2023 at 05:18 PM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Our 2024 draft is grade A.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hmmmm… Naj had a big day! And I have Warren on my fantasy football team, and wished he had more yards and TDs
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Have to give Harris his due, because today he was the man. 99 yards and 6.6 ave. He ran hard and was productive. Warren only 3.8. So it seems the tandem splitting carries roughly is a good formula. One of them is usually hot.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am glad we have both backs. and now we might actually call play that make sense

Legend

User Info Menu

Agreed, I’ve always been glad we have 2 good backs, a nice 1-2 punch
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Harris definitely the better day today and not even close. It's a nice problem to have in that it's not even a problem if both are used properly. I liked seeing them in both out there on at least one play today, that really should be the base offense imo. Friermuth down the middle, Najee down the middle running and throwing, Warren outside, etc. Offense still isn't maximizing the talent but today was at least better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Have to give Harris his due, because today he was the man. 99 yards and 6.6 ave. He ran hard and was productive. Warren only 3.8. So it seems the tandem splitting carries roughly is a good formula. One of them is usually hot.
    Yes, glad we have both. I think whoever is the feature back may have tougher sledding simply because teams will run blitz a few times.

But I think we have our thunder and lightning.

I was proud to see Najee lower his shoulder and stiff arm a defender today.

Most of all, I think Warren shining last week makes Najee a better RB. He ean violent today. That is the Najee they drafted from Bama.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Gotta give props when it's due. I didn't think Najee was bad but clearly Warren is much better.

He didn't start last game but he should've and he should start the rest of the year.

It's time for the youth movement. Najee, DJ and Muth all need their playing time reduced. Patrick Peterson as well.
    We fire Canada and Najee and Muth said ?nah son, watch us work?

DJ still a head case.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"