Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: I've Lost All Faith in the Steelers Except For:

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The Steelers win while they develop players. This was the case for years.

OC's and DC's don't win games in the NFL. Execution by players wins games. Every coach or player associated with the NFL will tell you this.
    I've been hearing a bit of both from former players. Wolfley and Moats both blame player execution. Starks admits it's both. Ryan Clark, former all pro WR Steve Smith, Former GM Doug Whaley all have blasted Matt Canada. Doug Whaley said Canada wasn't qualified to be a coordinator in the NFL.

It's hard to not believe coordinators help win games in the nfl.

Just look at the Ravens success after firing Cam Cameron and installing Jim Caldwell back in 2012.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    It's been longer than 4 months for Tomlin, more like 11-12 years.

That Super Bowl win was great, but it was quite fortunate. They didn't beat a single great team in that run, and it took huge individual splash plays to beat underdogs. Brady blew out a knee, the Titans team that blew out the Steelers in week 16 lost their star RB and to the Ravens in the playoffs.

That cemented a philosophy -- line up and play. Beat your man. The Steelers had the better players, mostly because the two top teams in the AFC lost key players.

Hasn't worked since.
    lmao, now we are downplaying SBs??

I’ll give you the last 6 or 7 years but saying 11 or 12 is delusional. That is basically saying after the GB loss its been all downhill and that isn’t true.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    lmao, now we are downplaying SBs??

I?ll give you the last 6 or 7 years but saying 11 or 12 is delusional. That is basically saying after the GB loss its been all downhill and that isn?t true.
    Sorry, but it's an uncomfortable truth. If Brady stays healthy or Chris Jones doesn't go down in the playoffs, they likely are stuck on 5.

Tomlin's best playoff win was over Baltimore in 2010.

His entire career was built on having players who could bail out the lack of game planning, and that luck has run out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry, but it's an uncomfortable truth. If Brady stays healthy or Chris Jones doesn't go down in the playoffs, they likely are stuck on 5.

His entire career was built on having players who could bail out the lack of game planning, and that luck has run out.
    You are describing this FRANCHISE Windy. Nobody in the history of the league was the beneficiary of an obscene accumulation of talent than Noll.

Those players retired and he was mortal.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

So the players mattered for the other teams but not the Steelers?

Legend

User Info Menu

now use that same logic for years when Bell and Shazier and others were injured.

maybe those other teams coaches should’ve been able to overcome their injuries instead of making excuses?

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

now use that same logic for years when Bell and Shazier and others were injured.

maybe those other teams coaches should’ve been able to overcome their injuries instead of making excuses?
    The Steelers were never the best team with those two, but yes those injuries hurt. Might have another playoff win or two with them. Don't see how the Steelers get past the Pats with the disparity at QB and coaching staff, though.

If it makes you feel better, the 1979 team had a similar bit of luck, not facing the Charger team that annihilated them and playing the weakest of the NFC playoff teams minus their starting QB.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 10-06-2023 at 08:23 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers were never the best team with those two, but yes those injuries hurt. Might have another playoff win or two with them. Don't see how the Steelers get past the Pats with the disparity at QB and coaching staff, though.
    if Bell was healthy we had a chance vs the Pats. Dude was running wild that postseason.

Shazier’s injury was huge too. Seeing your teammate paralyzed on the ground changes your priorities. Look how the Bills folded after Hamlin’s injury last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

if Bell was healthy we had a chance vs the Pats. Dude was running wild that postseason.

Shazier’s injury was huge too. Seeing your teammate paralyzed on the ground changes your priorities. Look how the Bills folded after Hamlin’s injury last year.
    Nah on Bell. He could look like Jim Brown but can’t stop a Lacrosse player from looking like Jerry Rice on the other side.

Shazier? Yes, I can see him being the difference in winning and losing.

Nevertheless, losing ONE good and not great player, is no excuse for allowing 45 points.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nah on Bell. He could look like Jim Brown but can’t stop a Lacrosse player from looking like Jerry Rice on the other side.

Shazier? Yes, I can see him being the difference in winning and losing.

Nevertheless, losing ONE good and not great player, is no excuse for allowing 45 points.
    You don't have to chase a lacross player that much if he is on the sideline watching Bell run wild

337 rushing yards in 2 playoff games? Would've been a totally different game with Bell on the field. He had 150 total yards in the first game but we lost with Landry Jones at QB