Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What should we do? Some ideas.

Legend

User Info Menu

What should we do? Some ideas.

What should we do?

1 ) Keep Jones starting. I don't care if he makes mistakes, he is the better run blocker. Help him out on some 5 step drop passes. Washington can do that. You chip man his pass rusher first then let him go out for a short pass. Other teams do this.

2 ) Start Robinson at ILB. He is our run defender in the box and a big hitter who can force fumbles. Dude is strong, and brings it. Sub him out on 2nd and long and 3rd and 3 yards or more with a safety who can cover.

3 ) I have been saying it for a while. Change up the offense and start Warren! Yes Harris played his best game in 10 games, so what! In the other 9 games he is a slug and sub par runner. Harris has been reduced to playing 53% of the snaps this year.

4 ) Keep Wing playing as the punter. He is a little better. I like his leg and hang time. Again check his stats.

5 ) Start Porter ASAP or at least play him more. Peterson must be wearing a neon green jersey, and a sign that says throw at me ... he is too slow. I have had it with him. Poters is impressive.

For the time being ....

Take advantage of Washington's run blocking ability.

Send ALL coaches on a day off vacation on Art Rooney's private plane. Something is wrong with Tomlin's health I fear. He is blinking like crazy at Sunday's press conference and Canada shows little emotion in him. I get it, coaching this team can be stressful.

Mitch is our guy for NOW. Call the play / passes he throws well. He is a high risk and high reward type of guy. Let him throw the ball downfield to our playmakers and we will live with the good and the bad. When I was watching the game yesterday with Picket, I could swear the yellow line on TV was something Pickett must think the ball should not go beyond.

Enclosed is a card for Heyward to get well fast.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The first thing to do is fire Canada. Not just because he's awful (I place more blame on Tomlin than Canada), but because we need to see what KP can do with a legit OC. That is by far the most important thing for this season, to find out if KP is the guy or not.

At seasons end Tomlin has to be fired. If we get a new OC this year and the O improves, Tomlin should be fired for dereliction of duty for keeping Canada as long as he did. If the new OC doesn't improve the O, then it's clear that Tomlin is the problem (either from game planning or drafting players that just suck).

And yes, Porter and Jones need to be starters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Keep Jones on the field
    Start Washington
    I'd give Herbig a shot at center
    I'd switch the workload at RB and give Warren the touches that Najee is currently getting and vice versa
    Porter would play, period, figure out the rest
    I'd play Rudolph, he hasn't played meaningful time in years (maybe there's a reason), we know what Trubisky brings to the table (it isn't good), and based on the offensive performance of this team so far, I'm not certain that the Steeler coaching staff knows who is the best quarterback on the team. Rudolph was playing decent football before the Raven safety concussed him a few years back.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I think you have to fire Canada at the bye. Not because he is a bad coordinator (which he is), not because none of the players are developing (which they aren't), but because it sends a statement. Especially on a team like the Steelers who don't normally make moves like this. Send a message to the players, send a message to the other coaches, and (since it likely won't be Tomlin making this move) send a message to the head coach. Do your job or be held accountable.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    The first thing to do is fire Canada. Not just because he's awful (I place more blame on Tomlin than Canada), but because we need to see what KP can do with a legit OC. That is by far the most important thing for this season, to find out if KP is the guy or not.
    But who is the legit OC we're going to hire? (although, pretty much anyone is an upgrade). And even if we did change coordinators, it takes a lot of time to install a new offense. And we don't even know the extent of Kenny's injury yet. What a mess.

At seasons end Tomlin has to be fired. If we get a new OC this year and the O improves, Tomlin should be fired for dereliction of duty for keeping Canada as long as he did. If the new OC doesn't improve the O, then it's clear that Tomlin is the problem (either from game planning or drafting players that just suck).
    I'm not against firing Tomlin. I think his message is getting a little tired here. But at the same time, I'm not sure I blame him for keeping Canada as long as he has. I'm not convinced he has the power to fire him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    But who is the legit OC we're going to hire? (although, pretty much anyone is an upgrade). And even if we did change coordinators, it takes a lot of time to install a new offense. And we don't even know the extent of Kenny's injury yet. What a mess.

I'm not against firing Tomlin. I think his message is getting a little tired here. But at the same time, I'm not sure I blame him for keeping Canada as long as he has. I'm not convinced he has the power to fire him.
    There is a local high school coach whose team is averaging 34 points per game, I'll take him.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we need to change the offensive play caller. Canada probably doesn't get fired, but he needs to not be the guy calling the plays at least.

I'd put Porter in.

Now that Kenny's out, "your rookie LT will get your QB killed" argument doesn't matter much. So get him up the learning curve with Mitch.

Still start Najee though. He's been getting bigger runs than normal this year. I think splitting carries is good for him.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd go back to Harvin. He's been mostly a bright spot this year too.

Robinson...might as well try. Our run D is terrible. Anything to incentivize teams away from running.

Pickett should start right when he's able. Hopefully with someone new calling plays. Need to see what we have in him. It's still the most important outcome of the season (even if what we find is that we need a new QB). Getting an incomplete because he didn't start or got injured doesn't help figure out what he is.

But, despite the talk of change...my guess is that the only thing will be that we start a different QB because of injury (and maybe other injury related changes like TE or OL).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think you have to fire Canada at the bye. Not because he is a bad coordinator (which he is), not because none of the players are developing (which they aren't), but because it sends a statement. Especially on a team like the Steelers who don't normally make moves like this. Send a message to the players, send a message to the other coaches, and (since it likely won't be Tomlin making this move) send a message to the head coach. Do your job or be held accountable.
    I'd do it today.

He has had 2 offseason. Got to pick a 1st round QB. Got an infusion of talent at OL.

And the O keeps scoring fewer points every year.

He's not the only problem, but I agree that we need to make some kind of statement.

I worry about waiting for the bye because maybe we have another game where we get average output (like vs Raiders) and management convinces themselves to give him to the end of the year.

Offenses are supposed to score points. We have been terrible at this for the 2.25 seasons Canada has been OC.

Legend

User Info Menu

And yes, Porter and Jones need to be starters.
    I came here to say these two parts...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

... side note, anybody notice how much the run game seemed to open for Naj after he was targeted on a couple of passes...?

While I'd like to give Jones the credit, he was there in the first half and Naj was still getting pinned down in the backfield.... he caught a pass early in the second half, and it was night and day how much more running room he had. Suddenly, the defense had to play a little more honest with him on the field...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington