Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Initial thoughts from Heinz....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Initial thoughts from Heinz....

yeah, i can't say acrisure yet. and I'm also aware my thoughts aren't worth very much - but this is more therapy for me so I can maybe get some sleep tonight.

I should spend paragraphs talking about how great the defense was tonight. The subs did a terrific job. Yeah, there was some containment issues, and clearly the stains were targeting Levi Wallace as the weak link. But 14 points off turnovers, TJ sets the franchise record AND they got that stop at the end of the game when most watching (admit it to yourselves) were wondering if we'd have enough time left on the clock to try to come back and win. Minor point and I don't know if it came through the broadcast - but when Chubbs left on the cart a large portion of the stadium was chanting his name. Mad respect for that guy and how he plays and it was nice to see our fans recognize his abilities.

But this is about therapy and facing your demons. So speaking of demonic - let's talk about the offense, shall we?

I thought the O-line was upgraded in the off season. I'm aware the Stains were using 5 D linemen and daring KP to throw - but dang. Our line was getting pushed all over the place. Najee had a few nice runs - but I think Jaylen is clearly outperforming him. Kenny was still off target on too many throws, the tight ends were a non-factor. too many false starts IMO. I think the only way to describe the offense after 2 games is an undisciplined hot mess. There were outscored by the defense and when they had to get one first down to ice the game - they had to resort to a QB sneak that fooled no one. I'd love to try to pin the blame on Canada, and i'm sure he merits quite a bit of it - but seeing what the Stains were doing, and doing so quite obviously he had no answer upon which to force Cleveland to make a change. That being said, our guys were struggling to execute most of what was called. So yeah - no easy answers there.

quick subplot. After the KP keeper and for the first time I ever recall hearing it at the stadium - a large chant of 'FIRE HEAD COACH' took hold.

Fortunately for the Steelers, the players who were great today outnumbered the players who didn't meet the standard - thus we're 1-1. Happy for the win, but nervous about Vegas next week. There's a lot of work to be done.

Oh yeah, here's hoping the Gunner O experiment has run its course.
    Last edited by Starlifter; 09-19-2023 at 12:56 AM.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

The box will be stacked until Pickett or Trubisky or Rudolph prove that they can complete passes and move the football. Why wouldn't you stack the box, there was no indication tonight that KP8 can play at a high level in this league. He did play two of the best defenses in the league but you still have to be able to make 1st downs and move the ball. A team with a an above average QB or better wins tonight's game going away.

Pappy

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I understand the frustration and disappointment with Pickett. However, it’s way too early to give up on him. He needs some time and we’ll just have to suffer with him. Hopefully he turns it on soon enough, but he should get this year before he’s judged too harshly.

OT…I didn’t see Chubbs injury until a buddy sent me a pic post game. That is a horrifying sight. It’s like Thiesmann but at the knee.
    Last edited by SteelCrazy; 09-19-2023 at 01:27 AM.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

We are 1-1 and not 0-2

The Bumgals look ordinary and they will lose talent as the impact of Burrow's contract hits. Burrow looks to be trending to the oft injured category

The Browns are saddled with Watson and just lost their best offensive player for the season

The Ravens aren't dominant and its only a matter of time before the next injury for Jackson

I'm not happy with how we have played but we have plenty of time to get better
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

It really starts upfront, the O-line was getting killed and I think this is contributing to Pickett's woes.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Browns had little respect for the offenses ability to pass the ball with any consistency. The Oline had it's good and bad moments vs a very talented Browns Dline. The Oline is still a major work in progress in the run game. Steelers may need an upgrade at the center position. Hopefully KP can develop more consistency to his game as the season progresses.

Outside of a handful of bad plays the defense got the job done. The defense won't have 4 turnovers and two TD's every week. The offensive side of the ball needs to get it's act together.

I expect another tight game in Vegas on Sunday.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I understand the frustration and disappointment with Pickett. However, it’s way too early to give up on him. He needs some time and we’ll just have to suffer with him. Hopefully he turns it on soon enough, but he should get this year before he’s judged too harshly.

OT…I didn’t see Chubbs injury until a buddy sent me a pic post game. That is a horrifying sight. It’s like Thiesmann but at the knee.
    ABC did the right thing for no replaying the injury. Chubb is a warrior and took the as injury well as a man could. Hats off to the Pittsburgh crowd for supporting him. Knees are not supposed to bend that way.
    The Steelers had a great draft in 2023. However better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Tomlin is hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. Nor has hired anyone good to his coaching staff. Think about that. Mike Tomlin says, " hell yeah we've got to make some changes. " We are waiting. But Khan and Weidl appear to have better management on the salary cap and draft needs. How much we sign player for in 2nd and 3rd contracts need some major work.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The box will be stacked until Pickett or Trubisky or Rudolph prove that they can complete passes and move the football. Why wouldn't you stack the box, there was no indication tonight that KP8 can play at a high level in this league. He did play two of the best defenses in the league but you still have to be able to make 1st downs and move the ball. A team with a an above average QB or better wins tonight's game going away.

Pappy
    Any sant coach will run this game plan and bank on our D not putting up 14 pts.

Hard to feel confident that this QB and OC will have an answer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We are 1-1 and not 0-2

The Bumgals look ordinary and they will lose talent as the impact of Burrow's contract hits. Burrow looks to be trending to the oft injured category

The Browns are saddled with Watson and just lost their best offensive player for the season

The Ravens aren't dominant and its only a matter of time before the next injury for Jackson

I'm not happy with how we have played but we have plenty of time to get better
    I like QBs on rookie deals.

But they need to be at least average for the team to do anything

That looks like a team order at this point. But there's still time

Legend

User Info Menu

• Cole - he was getting pushed back a lot; huge disappointment in my book; this is a draft need next season
    • Chuks - should have sat this one out, bad start bad finish
    • Moore - the stat line will probably read better than his play, he simply cannot block speed rushers
    • KP - didn't exactly rise to the occasion, and you could argue he shrunk to it just like last week
    • Harris - a typical Harris game, couple of nice runs mixed in with a lot of nothing
    • Warren - he just looks different with the ball than Harris
    • Pickens - a positive on the night; really good to see Pickett start focusing on him in this offense, still not crisp but I'll take what we could get
    • Allen - he's getting more looks as a security blanket for Pickett and that's a good thing
    • Canada - Browns defense did what they needed to do to disrupt the offense, Canada used a lot of motion but really there was very little misdirection plays. The impromptu cutback by Harris was the exception. When you have a defense chasing the ball like that misdirection is your friend. Execution was so off it's just hard to judge the playcalling. But this offense isn't really fooling too many people.
    • Watt - what more can you say about the guy that hasn't been said? Takes games over. And for yinz whining about him taking a few plays off, you're just completely wrong. You can't play 200mph for 30 minutes. Plus Herbig gets a few valuable snaps.
    • Ogunjobi - good to see him gut it out even though he's not 100%, the DL looks respectable with him in the game
    • Adams - he's not an answer to any question
    • Wallace - he is what I thought he was, a backup CB trying to look like a starter
    • JPJ - promising looking rookie but that last play should have extended the Browns possession. If I had to make a choice between Wallace playing 10 yds off and JPJ with PI I think I would take JPJ.
    • Harvin - redemption game, in a game where every single punt was critical he nailed them
    • Boz - had a Boz kind of night; will need his scoring going forward since the offense can't do it
    • Tomlin - the team with one of the biggest analytics departments against Tomlin's gut; the gut takes this one.