Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HawaiianSteel

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Moving from HCOL to LCOL areas is awesome!

Moving from Hawaii to Idaho...seems less so?
    Living a rat race life working long hours kinda feels the same anywhere. For local people in Hawaii, it aint like your vacation.

We had a pumping business, grease traps and septic. It was lucrative but nasty hard work, day and night. Wife working long hours at her job too.

Now I do tech support 3 days a week without leaving my house and easily make ends meet. Wife does not work at all.

Not rich but very comfortable. No house payment no car payment. Happy I can do the Dave Ramsey scream.

Cold and snow? Nothing but pretty flakes falling when looking out the window. I do my volunteer ministry on the side as my passion project.

Exception with Hawaii is the easy access to beaches. Beach was literally across the street from my place in Maui. But when youve had that your entire life it is just there.

When you are young, single and you look good and everybody else does it is a bigger deal too.

But that is rear view mirror at this stage.

I miss the people and the food more than anything. Visiting will suffice for that but life is pretty stress free. I like it.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-10-2023 at 05:05 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Living a rat race life working long hours kinda feels the same anywhere. For local people in Hawaii, it aint like your vacation.

We had a pumping business, grease traps and septic. It was lucrative but nasty hard work, day and night. Wife working long hours at her job too. Not rich but very comfortable. No house payment no car payment. Happy I can do the Dave Ramsey scream.

Now I do tech support 3 days a week without leaving my house and easily make ends meet. Wife does not work at all.

Cold and snow? Nothing but pretty flakes falling when looking out the window. I do my volunteer ministry on the side as my passion project.

Exception with Hawaii is the easy access to beaches. Beach was literally across the street from my place in Maui. But when youve had that your entire life it is just there.

When you are young, single and you look good and everybody else does it is a bigger deal too.

But that is rear view mirror at this stage.

I miss the people and the food more than anything. Visiting will suffice for that but life is pretty stress free. I like it.
    We also got massive benefits from moving to a much lower cost of living area. Unquestionably the best thing we ever did for our family.

And I'm sure you're right about it not being a vacation when you actually live there. Part of my brain is like "but you must never be more than an hour or so from the beach", but that's technically been true for me most of my life too (although I'd imagine that the great lakes aren't the same as the Pacific).

I've only ever been to the big island. Hoping to go back sometime.

I'm sure you get a lot of "really, you moved here from HI?"...but I'll oven get the "why did you move to Upstate NY?" too.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm just happy HS is OK.

I'm praying for the safety of the people of Maui. That's an awful situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Hope you and yours are safe, buddy. Just saw the news on the fires.
    On Hawaii which I have been lucky enough to visit. Maui is like paradise with its lush jungle, very blue oceans, excellent beaches and majestic mountains. There is something for everybody and it food, especially its seafood is very good. I heard a billionaire purcased the island Niihau , all 69.5 square miles of it and has plans to turn into a Las Vegas like place of the Pacific. We will see, BUT the islands have old infrastructure, lots of old telephone poles, and it is expesnive as heck to live there . The economy there is very reliant on tourism. Being a spots fan is hard there.

But the fires are no joke. I hope people are okay.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What I remember about Hawaii was the monsoon rain season. I think it was October to February time frame. I spent 3 years on Oahu with about 6 weeks per year up on Puakaloa on the Big Island. I never remember fires.

The crazy thing about the islands was one side was tropical, I think the windward side and the other side, the leeward side was dry. It was the West Side on Oahu. We sometimes went to the field over towards the West Side by Barbers Point and they had scorpions. We had to sleep on air mattresses. My RTO forgot his and got bit. And down past Sunset beach up in the Kahuka mts it was like a tropical jungle.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope our Hawaiian brother and his family are well. Watched the news. Man not good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kinda weird he has not replied yet. Maybe he has family there and is too occupied to check the forum.

Priorities.

I just got a text from my niece who had to evacuate that night. They just found out it did not get their house and they are good.

Two people in our circle arent retuning calls but phone service is messed up especially on the west side of the Island.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Really dude?
    These idiots have figured out these fires are some evil UN conspiracy?

IN ONE DAY they figured this out?

Dude why you gotta bring that trash here?

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Go back to your stains board, Cockface. You’ve worn out your welcome here.

Take your trash with you.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!