Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up our sleeve with the $15.7 million in cap space?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Yep. Dead money is the consequence of cutting guys.

We've all called for guys to get cut.

For example, I wanted us to cut Mitch (although I think the extension is a good move too). Doing so would have saved us cap space, but increased our dead money. Because Mitch had a signing bonus that was spread out over multiple years (like almost every signing on any NFL team). All the cap room you push forward hits the cap eventually.

So I'm not sure it's fair to look at dead money alone. Because when we added that dead money, we got something for it. Cap space in the past (or the present).

I think this was less true with the dummy year contracts...but that's mostly because I didn't think we should have been mortgaging the future for a team that we were pretty sure wasn't going to be very competitive. I think Sutton is the only dummy year contract in that $13M (assuming the number is correct and I'm not forgetting someone else).
    +1. Yes, and we should have cut Mitch.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My guess is that the $15M number comes from looking at something like the NFLPA cap site and pulling down the number.

My point is that number is misleading because we don't really have that much space when we think about all the things we need to do before the beginning of the season.

I think reports like this are what make people believe that the Steelers are cheap, or that they don't splurge on big signings. Since most reporters and fans (including myself here) don't really understand how the cap works, we see $15M and think "awesome, let's go get an elite player". When it really means "most / all / more than all of that cap space is actually already spoken for".
    No, not in this case; usually we end up with a # closer to the actual cap. $15 mill means there is space for another signing, it's not like having just $3 mill. in space.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    FWIW, I was for cutting...but I now think that would have been a mistake given how things unfolded.

I think the extension is better. He's not a good starter, but he is a good backup. And we bought the new years really cheap. Seems like it was appreciably less than market value for "low end starter / good backup" money.

And now that I think he's accepted his role as a backup (otherwise why not test the UFA market again next season), I think he can be KP's Batch.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Why cut the best QB on the roster?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    If that's true, we have zero shot at doing anything until that changes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Mitch the best? He is certainly the most expensive, and unless Pickett regresses the back up. I see little difference between him and Rudolph. I would have cut Mitch and saved 8 million on the cap.

Rudolph started eight games, finishing with a 5-3 record. IMO he is a capable and cheap backup. That is my take.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

I get the jab here...but KP was better than Mitch last season.

Mitch was not good at converting 3rd downs. Lots of short drives with Mitch trying to play hero last season.

I do think that he will be better if called upon this year. Because he'll no longer be trying to get highlight plays so he can be a starter next year (at least that's what he seemed to be trying to do).

If he was good at throwing deep, he would probably be at least an average QB I think.