Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden: What is Pickett?

Legend

User Info Menu

Madden: What is Pickett?

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...kenny-pickett/

Harris mostly has been mediocre since he was the Steelers? first-round pick in 2021. Warren is an undrafted free agent who has shown occasional flashes. Neither is an exceptional receiver.

The shotgun is football?s most-used formation. Not the Power I. (Single back is second.)

But the Steelers do appear to be gearing up to run the ball. They?ve assembled a nasty left side of the offensive line. They drafted a huge tight end.

Running the ball is the Steelers? traditional preference, outdated as that is.

The NFL isn?t that kind of league. Going against the grain can work, but neither Harris nor Warren is Derrick Henry.

Today?s NFL is about striking quickly and scoring a lot.

If the Steelers do rely on the run more than most teams, it makes you wonder what they think of where Kenny Pickett?s development is.

The Steelers aren?t likely to win a playoff game in 2023. They could sneak into a wild-card game and get splattered like they did two seasons ago.

The Steelers should see 2023 as a building year. That especially applies to Pickett. He should be used in a way that has him reaching for his ceiling.

If he makes mistakes, so be it. But he shouldn?t, in his second year, be a game manager for a rushing attack.

Pickett won?t ever be Joe Burrow. But let?s see how close he can come. That?s the only way the Steelers will legitimately challenge for more than just scraps.

Pickett has got to play like top quarterbacks do. That begins with the approach and, hopefully, results in the execution.

If that isn?t the approach, how much faith do the Steelers really have in Pickett?

I don?t understand having much faith in Harris.

Harris hasn?t averaged more than 3.9 yards per carry during either of his two pro seasons. He has had just four 100-yard games and only one last season. Harris barely got over 1,000 yards last year.

Harris is OK, no better. Warren is a dime-a-dozen talent.

It would be smarter to lean on Pickett instead of the running game. More upside.

But it goes back to how the Steelers prefer to play.

As Fox?s Colin Cowherd says, some NFL teams just don?t get offense. The Steelers are one of those.

Mike Tomlin is a defensive guy. But nobody on his staff is allowed to know more than him. Offensive coordinator Matt Canada certainly fits that description.

If Pickett is to make the giant strides so many seem to expect, he needs to be given the opportunity to do that. Major talents don?t take baby steps. Is Pickett a major talent or isn?t he?
    Hate or love him, Mark nails it again. If Pgh is so dripping in power rushing the ball as the total core of their offense, what does that tell you about their faith in Kenny? He needs to up his TD passes HUGE time. Can only get there is he's allowed to throw for them.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

you need a dose of positivity into your little world.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Fun fact: Whisper is Mark Madden and vice versa.
    Obviously the standard is the standard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Fun fact: Whisper is Mark Madden and vice versa.
    Thanks for the compliment, but no. We just both see reality when it comes to the Steelers so I see why the confusion. Viewing things under the scope of reality is not a Yinzer trait, I get it. But it still doesn't change the truth. Yinzers live in major denial. Almost as bad as Brown fan.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, but no. We just both see reality when it comes to the Steelers so I see why the confusion. Viewing things under the scope of reality is not a Yinzer trait, I get it. But it still doesn't change the truth. Yinzers live in major denial. Almost as bad as Brown fan.
    your the guy that wins the lottery but then spends the next several years complaining about the taxes

Banned

User Info Menu

All I know is that if we don't see a major upgrade in whatever passing game we have, we need to be chasing Canada out of town like the Villagers chased the Frankenstein monster. I know I'll be leading the charge against Canada with a couple of torches. hahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    The Steelers aren?t likely to win a playoff game in 2023. They could sneak into a wild-card game and get splattered like they did two seasons ago.
    What I find funny, is that this is EXACTLY how I define success this season. This dude is already prepping to call it a failed season. Meanwhile, I have called this *the goal* (spelled out below)

• Year 1 (2022) - roughly .500

-- you are here --

• Year 2 (2023) - Wildcard birth but loss because they'll be facing a 2 or 3 seed
    • Year 3 (2024) - Contender

They are, in fact, following a reasonable progression from losing your HOF quarterback, while getting the new guy up to speed... I feel like whisper and MM need a hug.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
    your the guy that wins the lottery but then spends the next several years complaining about the taxes
    GREAT analogy
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    What I find funny, is that this is EXACTLY how I define success this season. This dude is already prepping to call it a failed season. Meanwhile, I have called this *the goal* (spelled out below)

• Year 1 (2022) - roughly .500

-- you are here --

• Year 2 (2023) - Wildcard birth but loss because they'll be facing a 2 or 3 seed
    • Year 3 (2024) - Contender

They are, in fact, following a reasonable progression from losing your HOF quarterback, while getting the new guy up to speed... I feel like whisper and MM need a hug.
    Big Ben certainly didn't need all that time to contend. (Didn't he go 15-0 as a rookie starter?) But, different QB, different head coach, different team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
    you need a dose of positivity into your little world.
    the man needs a woman.. lol
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"