Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 540

Thread: What's Najee's #s gonna be with new rushing game?

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    What's Najee's #s gonna be with new rushing game?

    I know some in here don't like it, but NH's rushing #s are nothing to shout about. He's only averaging 3.8 ypc, that is well below average for starting NFL RBs. Only a handful of starting RBs have #s that low.

    So, with the new additions, what will NH's new #s be? I'm not asking for Chubb #'s which are 5 ypc or even in that neighborhood like 4.5 ypc. But a healthy 4.4 would be much more acceptable for a 1st round RB on a team that is so hell bent on rushing the ball. Can we get a 4.4 ypc?

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I know some in here don't like it, but NH's rushing #s are nothing to shout about. He's only averaging 3.8 ypc, that is well below average for starting NFL RBs. Only a handful of starting RBs have #s that low.

    So, with the new additions, what will NH's new #s be? I'm not asking for Chubb #'s which are 5 ypc or even in that neighborhood like 4.5 ypc. But a healthy 4.4 would be much more acceptable for a 1st round RB on a team that is so hell bent on rushing the ball. Can we get a 4.4 ypc?
    Yes, though I will suggest line play will improve through the season. I think you won?t see great improvement to start but by seasons end I expect a superior run game relative to the league.




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Yes, though I will suggest line play will improve through the season. I think you won?t see great improvement to start but by seasons end I expect a superior run game relative to the league.
    My guess is that his numbers go up, but not by a huge amount.

    I still don't think he'll break huge runs, so I think his rushing yards are limited by the number of carries his body can withstand. And I don't know if he can carry more load than he already has.

    But I think / hope the running game will be more effective.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I know some in here don't like it, but NH's rushing #s are nothing to shout about. He's only averaging 3.8 ypc, that is well below average for starting NFL RBs. Only a handful of starting RBs have #s that low.

    So, with the new additions, what will NH's new #s be? I'm not asking for Chubb #'s which are 5 ypc or even in that neighborhood like 4.5 ypc. But a healthy 4.4 would be much more acceptable for a 1st round RB on a team that is so hell bent on rushing the ball. Can we get a 4.4 ypc?
    There is no back projected to start in 2023 that avegaged 3.8 yard per rush like Harris did. Let that sink in for a moment. Warren could end up our staring back for the season by October 2023 as he did just fine with the same players blocking for him. Hmmm... Harris was not drafted by Khan.

    We most certanily did uprgade 2 OL players projected to start, and added a TE who can block well and a FB who can block well.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

    Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

    *** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My guess is that his numbers go up, but not by a huge amount.

    I still don't think he'll break huge runs, so I think his rushing yards are limited by the number of carries his body can withstand. And I don't know if he can carry more load than he already has.

    But I think / hope the running game will be more effective.
    People forget Bell was not exactly a home run hitter but he had seasons with a nice ypa.

    I agree about him possibly having fewer touches. But I think whisper is defining improvement using ypa as the metric not total yards.

    I do expect a substantial uptick by seasons end.




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Najee was hurt the first half of last season. He got it going the 2nd half. I've said this before and I'll say it again. If Najee plays healthy in 2023 he will get 1500 yards rushing.

    You could see him coming into his own the last 5 or 6 games last year. He is going to pound it out in 2023. At 3.8 yards per carry that gives us 10.4 yard every 3 downs. That moves the sticks,I'll take it.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    3.9 quite honestly works. They want a ball control offense. Jerome Bettis is a hall of famer. he averaged 3.9 YPC. He did have 4-5 years averaging 4.3-4.6 YPC but his hall of fame career was built on 3.4-3.9 YPC. He was in a ball control offense. long drives to start games and more importantly long drives to close out games.
    Keep the defense rested and wear out the opposing defense. Steeler Football.

    I know it looks great for the stats to have your RB average 4.5-5.0 YPC but it doesnt equate to team success 100% of the time.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    3.8 ypc is not winning football; it can be but by in large it really isn't. He has got to get over 4 ypc to really give us the boost we need. Even our old buddy James Connor put up 4.3 ypc. It didn't help Najee that Tomlin, in his infinite wisdom, chose to play him the last pre-season game, having to KNOW he was injured. Way to go Mike.

    https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/rb-ypc-leaders-2022

    NH is well into the 30s of RBs in ypc, well into. That's not gonna cut it. Not if we plan on being a run 1st, ball control team, it isn't. My fear is today's NFL Ds are not able to be pushed around, not when it matters most, as we've seen with Balt. over the years. Weidl thinks they can, we will see come hell or high water. I do think this year will be Najee's best shot for a dominating rush shot. After this year, he's already a 4 year vet. Isn't that when Zeke took a big plunge downward? This is your year, Najee.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My guess is that his numbers go up, but not by a huge amount.

    I still don't think he'll break huge runs, so I think his rushing yards are limited by the number of carries his body can withstand. And I don't know if he can carry more load than he already has.

    But I think / hope the running game will be more effective.
    I think Warren will continue to contribute as the season goes on. He has to, or Tomlin is a total fool.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
    3.9 quite honestly works. They want a ball control offense. Jerome Bettis is a hall of famer. he averaged 3.9 YPC. He did have 4-5 years averaging 4.3-4.6 YPC but his hall of fame career was built on 3.4-3.9 YPC. He was in a ball control offense. long drives to start games and more importantly long drives to close out games.
    Keep the defense rested and wear out the opposing defense. Steeler Football.

    I know it looks great for the stats to have your RB average 4.5-5.0 YPC but it doesnt equate to team success 100% of the time.
    You still need an effective passing attack, as we saw with the 90's Dallas Cowboys; Emmitt couldn't have provided a more productive rushing game, but they still had Michael Irvin and Harper to get the passing yards.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •