Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Najee's #s gonna be with new rushing game?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    This to slow thing is crazy, how fast is he?
    Nobody really knows. Why?
    I promise you it ain?t because he runs a 4.4.

My guess. 4.7 or slower and he knows it.

It has to be a number that would have pushed him down in the draft. Very savvy move to not have an official time anywhere.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Part of the issue is Najee has as many receptions in his first 2 years as Chubb in his whole career. So again YPR doesn't really tell us who is a better receiver. I think Najee is much better than Chubb catching the ball out of the backfield.
    My guess is that situation matters more than total number of receptions. And that the difference in YPC is driven by big gains (i.e. that most plays they are probably fairly similar, but Chubb probably has big gains).

I also think Najee is better at catching the ball. I said several time upthread that I don't think Warren makes the TD catch Najee did. My guess is that Chubb doesn't make that catch either.

I think Chubb is better at running with the ball after he catches it. You can look at the game logs I posted upthread to find the longs per game for receptions too. Chubb has more games with longs of 10+ (9 vs 7) vs , 15+ (4 vs 1), and 20+ (1 vs 0). This despite Najee having ~ 50% more receptions (meaning 50% more opportunities for a big play). You may be right that having more attempts (carries or receptions) can lower the average...but it should also give the player with more attempts a better shot at getting a big play. But Najee doesn't get many big plays despite having lots of attempts (particularly running). Because he doesn't have breakaway speed. I don't get why you are unable to concede this point. He has 579 carries and 115 receptions. If he was going to break big plays at the rate that elite backs do, we'd have seen them by now.

Najee has lots of valuable skills. And I think he's an above average running back. And he'll be a key component to the offense if we hope to have success this year. Maybe the most important component until we see KP take a big step in development. But I don't think Najee will become a top tier RB unless he somehow gains speed (which most seem to think isn't really something can't be taught...particularly once you get to the NFL).

That's not the end of the world. Unless we sign him to a big deal that we can't get out of. And we wouldn't even do that with Bell, who was elite.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    all I know is that one play where he failed to get a first down when he had all types of room had me furious.

but he does have good hands and we need to get him involved in more swing passes.. not those safety valve passes for 3 yards where he gets hit before he has a chance to turn around.
    +1

The OC and QB need to really improve the passing game. And this is one of the things I hope we get better at.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

It has to be a number that would have pushed him down in the draft. Very savvy move to not have an official time anywhere.
    And even if he did run fast on a track one time with a friendly person on the watch, it doesn't show up on the football field.

I think he was legitimately injured. But even if he was only 90%, he must have known that running a 40 would hurt his stock. It's really interesting that a 40 time did show up for him in some places though. I wonder how much pull agents and teams have for getting non-official data out?

I think he was a reasonable pick where we picked him. I think he's a good football player and a good human.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My guess is that situation matters more than total number of receptions. And that the difference in YPC is driven by big gains (i.e. that most plays they are probably fairly similar, but Chubb probably has big gains).

I also think Najee is better at catching the ball. I said several time upthread that I don't think Warren makes the TD catch Najee did. My guess is that Chubb doesn't make that catch either.

I think Chubb is better at running with the ball after he catches it. You can look at the game logs I posted upthread to find the longs per game for receptions too. Chubb has more games with longs of 10+ (9 vs 7) vs , 15+ (4 vs 1), and 20+ (1 vs 0). This despite Najee having ~ 50% more receptions (meaning 50% more opportunities for a big play). You may be right that having more attempts (carries or receptions) can lower the average...but it should also give the player with more attempts a better shot at getting a big play. But Najee doesn't get many big plays despite having lots of attempts (particularly running). Because he doesn't have breakaway speed. I don't get why you are unable to concede this point. He has 579 carries and 115 receptions. If he was going to break big plays at the rate that elite backs do, we'd have seen them by now.

Najee has lots of valuable skills. And I think he's an above average running back. And he'll be a key component to the offense if we hope to have success this year. Maybe the most important component until we see KP take a big step in development. But I don't think Najee will become a top tier RB unless he somehow gains speed (which most seem to think isn't really something can't be taught...particularly once you get to the NFL).

That's not the end of the world. Unless we sign him to a big deal that we can't get out of. And we wouldn't even do that with Bell, who was elite.
    I think you are close but not quite. Spot on about Najee is not that fast. It DOES contribute to his YPC.

However one need not be very fast to be elite, nor does one need to break away routinely.

You can do that by getting chunks consistently. OUR LINE has made that hard no matter the runner in most games (thus modest 1st and 10 numbers) And I would contentd the winningest backs in history were more about that than extreme speed.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-02-2023 at 12:39 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

He’s big ass hell.. I doubt it would’ve mattered much but I know agents will do what they need to protect players. It wasn’t like Najee was projected as a top 3 pick.

Rewatching some highlights I was a bit shocked by how fast he hit the hole on some plays. He isn’t fast.. but he isn’t slow. Just block for him and he will punish players at the second level.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

This to slow thing is crazy, how fast is he?
    Like Cap says, no one knows.

He didn't run at the combine (ankle injury and covid).

It's sometimes seems like it's reported that he ran a 4.45 at his Alabama proday. Here's an example:

This means the only recorded 40-yard dash time we have of Harris from his Alabama days is an unofficial time of 4.45 (https://theathletic.com/2554476/2021/04/29/pittsburgh-steelers-draft-najee-harris-alabama-rb-will-energize-lethargic-running-game/) that was likely timed by hand. It's hard to put much stock into that time, but that's what we're working with here.
    https://stillcurtain.com/posts/najee...%20misleading.

It's super easy to read "from his Alabama days" and think it means "from his Alabama pro-day". I think someone did something like this at one time, because during the draft season, I think 4.45 was his 40 time on several draft sites. It would have been very impressive for him to have run that 40 time at his proday, because he wasn't there on the day they were running 40s (he came for the 2nd of 2 days IIRC).

But that site has a link to their source when they talk about a 40 time!!!! You can tell they aren't MSM

That link says this:
    Harris is nearly 6-foot-2, 232 pounds and has an unofficial 40 time of 4.45 seconds (he did not run at his pro day).
    https://theathletic.com/2554476/2021...-running-game/

The 4.45 time seems to be basically made up. Or at least I've looked and never seen anyone report (i) when it was timed, (ii) where it was timed, (iii) how it was timed, and (iv) who timed it. Notice that the first quote says "it was likely timed by hand"...no one seems to know where this time came from.

It seems to be something that Bama reported to someone at some point (and you just have to look at programs to see how accurate teams are about things like height / weight / speed).

Regardless of what his actual 40 time is...he doesn't get big runs. And speed is likely a big part of it.

Legend

User Info Menu

We agree 100% here. Savvy move to totally conceal the 40 time #s. Pgh fell for it.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's sometimes seems like it's reported that he ran a 4.45 at his Alabama proday. Here's an example:

It's super easy to read "from his Alabama days" and think it means "from his Alabama pro-day". I think someone did something like this at one time, because during the draft season, I think 4.45 was his 40 time on several draft sites. It would have been very impressive for him to have run that 40 time at his proday, because he wasn't there on the day they were running 40s (he came for the 2nd of 2 days IIRC).

But that site has a link to their source when they talk about a 40 time!!!! You can tell they aren't MSM

That link says this:

The 4.45 time seems to be basically made up. Or at least I've looked and never seen anyone report (i) when it was timed, (ii) where it was timed, (iii) how it was timed, and (iv) who timed it. Notice that the first quote says "it was likely timed by hand"...no one seems to know where this time came from.

It seems to be something that Bama reported to someone at some point (and you just have to look at programs to see how accurate teams are about things like height / weight / speed).

Regardless of what his actual 40 time is...he doesn't get big runs. And speed is likely a big part of it.
    I recall that and I’m sure rather than EVER officially time him they were perfectly happy for that time be the only one floating around.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

That link says this:

Blocking is a big part of it.

Najee had no problem bouncing outside vs the Bengals for a TD or hitting the hole for a TD on 4th down vs the Browns his rookie year.

He is not going to zig zag through 4 guys for a long TD. That isn’t his game. But if we give him adequate blocking he can get large chunks.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"