Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we stop with the "we are doomed because we scored 18.1 last season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we stop with the "we are doomed because we scored 18.1 last season.

Yes we all know that.

You keep bringing this up.
    You do know that the idea is score more than last season right?

Newsflash THAT IS TYPICAL in a QBs 2nd SEASON. Our offense will be MUCH BETTER based on that alone. But I'm just getting started.

Pickens was also a rookie. What was Brown looking like as a rookie? Brown and Manny COMBINED showed less as rookies. They did not scratch the surface of what they would become.

But there is more.

NONE OF THE KEY SKILL PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM SAVE FOR DJ HAS REACHED THEIR PRIME YEARS YET.
    Kenny
    Pickens
    Najee
    Friermuth
    Warren

That is 5 of our Top 6 offensive weapons who are PUPS people.

If we did nothing at all we would take a huge step just on maturity.

Did not even mention wildcard Austin who Kenny is already raving about.

But I STILL am not done.

Part of their struggles were due to offensive line.

Do you realize we literally PUT MORE RESOURCES I TO OUR OFFENSIVE LINE THAN I CAN RECALL IN A SINGLE SEASON EVER!!!

Think about THAT!

I don't know what it will be, but I would suggest it will sufficiently better to render today's scepticism meaningless. I predict our growth as an offense WILL be so big it will be a storyline at some point in the season.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-26-2023 at 10:47 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Take away the constant negativity some live for, they’d have no reason to post the same thing over and over and over and over and over…
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they'll improve because of the talent bump from the draft, FA, returning players, etc., but I think the improvement will be muted if the scheme doesn't improve.

They simply have to get better at scheming up free yards and points, it all can't just rest on the players all lining up and beating their man.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    I think they'll improve because of the talent bump from the draft, FA, returning players, etc., but I think the improvement will be muted if the scheme doesn't improve.

They simply have to get better at scheming up free yards and points, it all can't just rest on the players all lining up and beating their man.
    Very reasonable concern. Coach made clear that some of the limitations were to protect Kenny due to his inexperience.

In a weird way I HOPE Tomlin is the reason as you suggest and NOT Canada.

In that case Canada might be better than he has shown. Not expressing confidence but rather hopefulness that this is the case.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

While I agree with your premise. It?s still conjecture.

they can come out and score 10 points a game in the first month. Or they can score 30

i won?t bet on either option , and am willing to let it play out.
    although , this coaching staff doesn?t have me confident

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

they can come out and score 10 points a game in the first month. Or they can score 30

Agree 100 percent and goes TO my point. This thread is a response to the tendency to NOT just let it play out but throw out last season’s stats while IGNORING everything I just listed.

I am not predicting a top 5 offense. What I’m saying is suggesting we will be a bottom feeder is premature.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Agree 100 percent and goes TO my point. This thread is a response to the tendency to NOT just let it play out but throw out last season’s stats while IGNORING everything I just listed.

I am not predicting a top 5 offense. What I’m saying is suggesting we will be a bottom feeder is premature.
    Then what ARE you predicting? A few pieces were added to the OL; better late than never, I saw the need to begin upgrading that unit years ago. But they finally addressed. (And when it doesn't come out of the gates rocking, we will have to hear all you apologists say "but an OL takes a while before it settles in with new players." That's coming, set your watch to it.

So what ARE you predicting? What we KNOW about last year's O: The two coaches in charge will still be here, directing everything. What did they manage the O to last year? 18.1 PPG. Only 5 teams had less PPG all season long. Every single team who made the playoffs had significantly more points per game staring with the world champs who LED the NFL with over 29 PPG. There's a hell of a long road between 18 and 29 PPG.

What about TDs, even more important than PPG. We were 28th in scoring TDs in 2022. 28th. Rookie QB or no, that's not so good. We averaged 200 passing yards per game. Only 8 teams were worse. And we got the same OC and HC coming back. And that was vs. the weakest opponents in the 2nd half of the season.

OK, rookie QB can explain some of it away, granted. A lot of it. But why am I haunted from all the comments categorizing the Steelers' offense as sophomoric, "Saturday-level," simplistic, basic, "child's play" and the like? I read where, unlike other teams, the Steelers send guys in motion "just to do it" without making opposing defenses tip their hand as to what kind of coverage they are in. Other teams send guys in motion to pin Ds as to what coverage they are in, but in Pgh they do it just to do it, without using it to determine that. That leaves me shaking my head.

On the same level of "child's play" offense is running a system that does not "scheme open" anyone, that simply relies on players getting open on their own. Great, that's gonna prove effective. Week 1 is gonna be revealing in comparison to the 49ers.

So what is your big jump? From 18 PPG to, what, 21? That would still put us in the bottom of the barrel. As a matter of fact, looking what all the playoff teams score, it's not gonna really matter until we hit the mid-20's in PPG. 25-26, around there. So, if all your bluster is to predict only a few more PPG, that won't amount to jack shlt. If we aren't putting up 26 PPG, all of Tomlin's "piss-your-pants," scared play calling isn't gonna have us win enough games. Winning games 13-10 just won't happen enough, even with our patty cakes schedule. We are gonna need over a TD more per game than we saw in 2022. Can Canada/Tomlin coach us there? Can Kenny develop that much in his 2nd year?
    Last edited by whisper; 05-26-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

although , this coaching staff doesn?t have me confident
    I'm damn sure not confident in Canada. And if they want to keep holding on to Canada, then it brings into question who's making the call to keep Canada around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I'm damn sure not confident in Canada. And if they want to keep holding on to Canada, then it brings into question who's making the call to keep Canada around.
    This is the Steelers; the Rooneys make all of the coordinator calls, at least in the Tomlin era. And, the Rooneys despise firing a OC/DC while they still have any years on a contract, freaks them out, almost never do it. Look at their track record. This isn't to say Tomlin would have fired Canada, him and his "good ole boys" way of dong business would probably keep him 10 more years.

Do you not recall the way they fired Arians? Tomlin gave him the "thumbs up" right before the team came out and announced that Bruce was "retiring" which turned out to be a big fat lie. Tomlin gave Uncle Bruce the green light to stay and right after that, he was gone because he "retired." The Rooneys made that lie up to shield them from blame of firing Bruce.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Then what ARE you predicting? A few pieces were added to the OL; better late than never, I saw the need to begin upgrading that unit years ago. But they finally addressed. (And when it doesn't come out of the gates rocking, we will have to hear all you apologists say "but an OL takes a while before it settles in with new players." That's coming, set your watch to it.

So what ARE you predicting? What we KNOW about last year's O: The two coaches in charge will still be here, directing everything. What did they manage the O to last year? 18.1 PPG. Only 5 teams had less PPG all season long. Every single team who made the playoffs had significantly more points per game staring with the world champs who LED the NFL with over 29 PPG. There's a hell of a long road between 18 and 29 PPG.

What about TDs, even more important than PPG. We were 28th in scoring TDs in 2022. 28th. Rookie QB or no, that's not so good. We averaged 200 passing yards per game. Only 8 teams were worse. And we got the same OC and HC coming back. And that was vs. the weakest opponents in the 2nd half of the season.

OK, rookie QB can explain some of it away, granted. A lot of it. But why am I haunted from all the comments categorizing the Steelers' offense as sophomoric, "Saturday-level," simplistic, basic, "child's play" and the like? I read where, unlike other teams, the Steelers send guys in motion "just to do it" without making opposing defenses tip their hand as to what kind of coverage they are in. Other teams send guys in motion to pin Ds as to what coverage they are in, but in Pgh they do it just to do it, without using it to determine that. That leaves me shaking my head.

On the same level of "child's play" offense is running a system that does not "scheme open" anyone, that simply relies on players getting open on their own. Great, that's gonna prove effective. Week 1 is gonna be revealing in comparison to the 49ers.

So what is your big jump? From 18 PPG to, what, 21? That would still put us in the bottom of the barrel. As a matter of fact, looking what all the playoff teams score, it's not gonna really matter until we hit the mid-20's in PPG. 25-26, around there. So, if all your bluster is to predict only a few more PPG, that won't amount to jack shlt. If we aren't putting up 26 PPG, all of Tomlin's "piss-your-pants," scared play calling isn't gonna have us win enough games. Winning games 13-10 just won't happen enough, even with our patty cakes schedule. We are gonna need over a TD more per game than we saw in 2022. Can Canada/Tomlin coach us there? Can Kenny develop that much in his 2nd year?
    I am suggesting last seasons PPG has zero to do with next season. So why keep whining about it like a repeat is inevitable?

That is why we built the oline JUST LIKE YOU WANTED, including the SAME EXACT PLAYER you wanted and had nothing but praise for UNTIL WE DRAFTED HIM.

Do I think we will score 29 per game..more than HOFer Ben ever scored? Unlikely.

24-26? I see that as VERY realistic.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-26-2023 at 06:07 PM.

TCFCLTC-