Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: KP: Bad News/Good News

  1. #21
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    How do you argue Howell is better than Pickett?

    I mean, you can argue ANYTHING but with Howell only playing one game played the last week of the season its not really going to move the needle
    Did you see him start and beat Dallas leading his offense to 26 points? IMO he showed better command and a better arm than Pickett. Dallas needed to win that game. You're right its only one game. Where is Picketts best stuff beating a playoff team with their first string QB? What is his best game performance? You tell me. Like I said you can debate who was better as a rookie.
    The Steelers had a great draft in 2023. However better play calling / coaching is badly needed. Tomlin is hasn't won a playoff game in six years and counting. Nor has hired anyone good to his coaching staff. Think about that. Mike Tomlin says, " hell yeah we've got to make some changes. " We are waiting. But Khan and Weidl appear to have better management on the salary cap and focused on the right free agents and draft needs.

  2. #22
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Did you see him start and beat Dallas leading his offense to 26 points? IMO he showed better command and a better arm than Pickett. Dallas needed to win that game. You're right its only one game. Where is Picketts best stuff beating a playoff team with their first string QB? What is his best game performance? You tell me. Like I said you can debate who was better as a rookie.
    in that game, Howell was 11-19 for only 169 yds with 1 TD along with 1 INT for a measly QBR of 46.4.

    so impressive
    Steel Maniac's IT guy has discovered that every poster here is actually the same person and lives within 20 miles of himself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Mason Rudolph and Baker Mayfield will be going at it for the next decade or so.
    Steel Maniac's two most frequent contributions to this forum:
    "Boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and "Hahahahahahahahaha"

  3. #23
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Did you see him start and beat Dallas leading his offense to 26 points? IMO he showed better command and a better arm than Pickett. Dallas needed to win that game. You're right its only one game. Where is Picketts best stuff beating a playoff team with their first string QB? What is his best game performance? You tell me. Like I said you can debate who was better as a rookie.
    Here's how I see it. KP was playing what 12 or 13 starts. There was plenty of film on him. D coordinators could game plan for him and he finished 7-2. You are comparing him against a 1 start QB. Nobody knew what Howell could do.

    There is no comparison. It's apples to oranges. KP was 7-2 and they planned for him. He didn't get shook up. Sometimes rookies collapse. He got better every game.
    Nothing but positives from me. I feel good about him in 2023.

  4. #24
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Not to defend JB's comment which seemed to ruffle some feathers, but KP had QBR's of 39.9 and 28.7 which both came after his first start. Howell's 46.4 wasn't so bad vs a playoff team.

    Still very hard to compare based on 1 start, but you could see some signs and I think that's what JB is pointing at.

  5. #25
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    Not to defend JB's comment which seemed to ruffle some feathers, but KP had QBR's of 39.9 and 28.7 which both came after his first start. Howell's 46.4 wasn't so bad vs a playoff team.

    Still very hard to compare based on 1 start, but you could see some signs and I think that's what JB is pointing at.
    Troy Polamalu was a bust after one season.

    Not to defend but..........

    You say hard................but then.....

    I don't understand.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 05-04-2023 at 08:53 PM.

  6. #26
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Troy Polamalu was a bust after one season.

    Not to defend but..........

    You say hard................but then.....

    I don't understand.
    Signs that Howell might be good, and nothing to do with KP since it's very hard to compare based on 1 game.

    There's ZERO comparison points in my post.

  7. #27
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Troy Polamalu was a bust after one season.

    Not to defend but..........

    You say hard................but then.....

    I don't understand.
    Talking about Troy (or Josh Allen) like this is survivorship bias. Most guys who have bad first seasons have bad careers (Note: I do not think KP had a bad season...he had a mixed season. Played well in high pressure situations. But is also close to last in some important situations too. But I think glimpses of great plays is a reasonable expectation of a rookie and KP had that IMO).

    And part of the thing with Troy was that he didn't start games in year 1. Which was much more common in 2003 than it is now IMO.

    I think the best counter argument here is that Troy didn't get LeBeau until year 2. Which is part of the reason many of us wanted a new OC that was specifically chosen to create an offense around Kenny.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-05-2023 at 10:20 AM.

  8. #28
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Looking at some stats from last season it's clear where KP needs big improvement. Here's his completion % against defenses:

    Defense Comp% League_Leader*
    Zone 68% G. Smith - 73%
    Man-Cover 1 57% Garoppolo - 69%
    Man-Cover 2 42% Mahomes - 71%

    *min. 10 games started

    Yes, when in man coverage some of that falls on the receiver to catch in traffic or get separation. I especially point out Pickens. Great for highlight films but dude needs to improve his route running.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 05-15-2023 at 04:34 PM.

  9. #29
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Talking about Troy (or Josh Allen) like this is survivorship bias. Most guys who have bad first seasons have bad careers (Note: I do not think KP had a bad season...he had a mixed season. Played well in high pressure situations. But is also close to last in some important situations too. But I think glimpses of great plays is a reasonable expectation of a rookie and KP had that IMO).

    And part of the thing with Troy was that he didn't start games in year 1. Which was much more common in 2003 than it is now IMO.

    I think the best counter argument here is that Troy didn't get LeBeau until year 2. Which is part of the reason many of us wanted a new OC that was specifically chosen to create an offense around Kenny.
    I don't recall Troy having a *bad* first season.
    I recall a coach who didn't play many rookies on his defense because they had a tendency to make more mistakes.

    *carry on*
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

    DeVille's waaaayyy to early mock
    1. Denzel Burke, CB, Ohio State
    2. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia
    3.
    T?Vondre Sweat, NT, Texas
    4a. Hudson Clark, S, Arkansas
    4b. Cedric Gray, ILB, UNC



  10. #30
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I don't recall Troy having a *bad* first season.
    I recall a coach who didn't play many rookies on his defense because they had a tendency to make more mistakes.

    *carry on*
    You're the one who said he was a bust after year 1, not me.

    Also...way to sidestep the point of the post.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •