Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who I would have taken in 2023 draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    First I'll say i like our picks as ballplayers. Might have done some things differently, but tomaytoes, tomahtoes.
    I'd agree with our first three. Really couldn't have gone better and all positions of need.

At 93, I would have taken Clark Phillips-CB. Slot corner is so important (like a starter) in today's NFL and this guy is a great cover/ballhawk. Will say I like what Washington brings to the table.

Although I'm not 100% with the Herbig pick, looking who was available I tend to agree with it.

Since my change at 93 to CB, Trice is a great bargain but unnecessary. I take the guy picked right after Trice, Anthony Johnson-S. Good box type SS.

With 251, I take ER Lonnie Phelps. I understand the Anderson pick, but I'd like an Edge to develop. Phelps has a good motor and room to grow.

That's it, not much to pick on with our draft. Impressed by the Khan/Weidl team.
    +1. I would have picked SS Battle who can cover and made plays over TE Washington who is buried on the depth chart with a good #2 and #3 TE already on the roster. Battle projects as a starter to me at Safety. Agree, there is not much to nit pick on the 2023 Steelers draft, and the rookie free agent class might yield us a keeper. This year there was usually good depth in the later rounds this year. Too bad Tomlin and Colbert pissed away or 5th and 6th round pick. We could have had say CB Blue Kelly in round five and OG Andrew Vorhess in round six. Oh well...
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-01-2023 at 08:42 AM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Good thread, One thing I want to bring up about this draft, we had so many "needs" and "wants" that "any pick" we would have made would have been greaat to good picks.

I wish we would have grabbed a center somewhere...

Washington AKA Mr. 6th OL, is going to
    Trevor Downing the f/a from Iowa St was a guard but played last year at center. 6 5 300+ so he has nice size and you know MT likes position flexibility. Likely a year on the PS to get ready but a nice f/a signing who has good tape just lacks experience.
    Last edited by Iron City Inc.; 05-01-2023 at 08:31 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I think Anderson is a sleeper to make the team. Position versatility...Good athlete (5.19 40) excellent strength (29 reps) and size 6'5" 310 +/-...
    This guy will send Kendrick Green packing..
    I took a look at the depth chart last night... this team is going to have some difficult cuts to make.
    Broderick Jones, Seumala, Cole, Daniels, Chuks as the starting 5.
    Don't they usually go with 8? I definitely see more than 3 being kept from: Dan Moore, Dotson, Herbig, Le'Raven Clark, Anderson, Downing, Green, McCollum
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I took a look at the depth chart last night... this team is going to have some difficult cuts to make.
    Broderick Jones, Seumala, Cole, Daniels, Chuks as the starting 5.
    Don't they usually go with 8? I definitely see more than 3 being kept from: Dan Moore, Dotson, Herbig, Le'Raven Clark, Anderson, Downing, Green, McCollum
    Will Herbig pretty much has made this team being that he was a $ veteran free agent. Dotson and Green can go to hot tar roofing for all I care. I see two spots open. 1 is back up tackle ( Moore? ) and 2 is back up center. We usually keep eight OL on the roster. Nine would be rare. There is always the practice squad for depth.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll step up with the top 2 picks as I didn't really go deep into looking beyond the first round.

There was a thread before the draft asking what you'd love, hate etc in the first round. I mentioned would love Jones, would be okay with trading up for Jones, not using #32. Given the opportunity that arose for Jones and only adding #120 vs. staying put, I'll make that move.

In the same thread I mentioned I'd be okay with Porter at #17. Given where the Steelers were, and seeing the offer that Tennessee made for #33, I would not make that trade and select my next guy, who I would have been fine with at #17, Porter Jr.

2/49 Beyond that, I don't know much about Benton, but he was a 30 visit guy and fills both an immediate and future need.

3/93 Not a need per se, but a swing. If you look at him as OL help or as a mismatch, I see the logic, but don't think I'd have made the pick. I might have gone ILB with a focus on coverage - Simpson or Overshown at 80 or To'o To'o or Pappoe at 93 (who both lasted until the 5th so shows what I know). Also would have considered double dipping at CB earlier with Ringo.

4/132 Again, don't know much about the player other than he was regarded enough so that being drafted late fourth wasn't a reach. I like the OLB as I didn't want to go too high and essentially slam the door on Highsmith returning, but have to address it because you don't want to enter the season with only Quincy Roche as your backup. I think he is good on both sides both outside and inside. That's a lot of flexibility that earns a player a roster spot, and a helmet, as depth.

7th rounders....whatever, roll the dice and hope they don't come up snake eyes.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I liked Gonzales as a DB. I would have moved up above the Pats and gotten him. That being said we did the next best thing and got our corner at 32. I said the Pats were going to take Gonzales which we agreed to let them do.

I like Benton because he looks like he can play NT, a position we have not filled adequately since Casey Hampton.

Now Washington is what I call a long shot bet. It goes back to the horse race days of the Rooney's. I'm sure there is a little bit of the track in ART II. If Washington makes it as a TE, I mean it will be that kid from Liberty with a good attitude. I also think Washington could convert to an OL.

I also am a fan of the cutsie brother crap, so Herbig is alright with me. The Apple don't fall too far from the tree.

There are two things that concern me though. I don't think we have a corner who can cover Jamar Chase. Porter can bump him and delay him but Chase is a strong guy and runs in the 4.3s. Finally, I thought our OL was gelling at the end of 2022. Obviously our management doesn't think that because they picked up 3 maulers and a TE who can play tackle. I think 2023 is going to be a boom or a bust season for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    I liked Gonzales as a DB. I would have moved up above the Pats and gotten him. That being said we did the next best thing and got our corner at 32. I said the Pats were going to take Gonzales which we agreed to let them do.
    I wonder if there was a gentleman's agreement in place. NE wanted to screw over the Jets, but also knew the Steelers could be in the market for Gonzalez. NE willing to make the trade, provided they know that the Steelers were taking Jones, not Gonzo. They even did the deal pretty cheap as they knew the only team that they still needed to worry about was Washington. Washington had top 30 visits with Gonzalez, JPJ, and Forbes (who they selected). NE knew they'd still get to choose between 2 of those 3.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I wonder if there was a gentleman's agreement in place. NE wanted to screw over the Jets, but also knew the Steelers could be in the market for Gonzalez. NE willing to make the trade, provided they know that the Steelers were taking Jones, not Gonzo. They even did the deal pretty cheap as they knew the only team that they still needed to worry about was Washington. Washington had top 30 visits with Gonzalez, JPJ, and Forbes (who they selected). NE knew they'd still get to choose between 2 of those 3.
    i saw someone suggest khan calling up BB and say to him "hey, you don't want the jets to draft broderick jones, do you? and protect rodgers blind side"?

makes some sense

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'm sure that this kind of thing happens.

We'll trade down with you if you promise not to pick player X. I wouldn't be surprised if they write it in the trade contract or whatever they send to the league to make it official. Although it's such a small group that if you screw someone like that, you are probably ending your career.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Does anyone else care to say who you would have drafted with our picks?
    I am ok with how the draft transpired, EXCEPT (which we will never know) IF they could've traded their 1st pick 17th over all along with the last 2nd round pick with Chicago, and move up to the 9th spot, I would've done that deal, and then taken Jalen Carter.

trade up- to 9- Jalen Carter
    Joey Porter at 32
    Washington (who I love as a blocking TE) at 93

Another possibility would've been to trade down pick 32, to gain more picks. And take Brian Branch in 2nd round.

Jalen is gonna be a star, I think. Not sure Jones will be. I have a feeling Moore will still get the start and Jones will work his way in at some point- either left or right.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion