Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who I would have taken in 2023 draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Who I would have taken in 2023 draft.

Here is my annual who I would have taken thread. If you care to play along, and don't live in a glass house and throw stones, you are welcome to add in who you would have taken. The rules are you can only take a player on the board in a given round. No trades. You can only pick where the Steelers actually select in a given round.

I like the Khan and Wedil team. Upon request I can show you a sample of previous drafts years.

Having said that here is who I would have taken.

Round one.

Steelers selected OT Broderick Jones
    I would have taken the same player
    Grade for need in the round A
    Grade for value B+

Jones is a big tackle , with long arms and big hands. He did not give up sack last year. He is excellent vs. the pass, and has upside vs the run. He worked out well at the combine running a sub 5.0 40 and offers good lateral agility and flexibility on film. His punch and hand placement vs the run needs a little work. The Steelers have not drafted a tackle in round one since the 1990's. I project he will start as a rookie. He's only 21.

Round Two A

Steelers select CB Joey Porter jr
    I would have taken, Same player
    Grade for need B
    Grade for value in the round A

Porter is an extremely long corner who can run well and swat down passes. But he is poor at intercepting them. Last year he had 11 pass breakups in 10 starts! A decent press style corner ( we lack them ) that should be good in short coverage and defend the side line very well. But his hands might draw more flags than I care for. A good CB 2 who should not be matched vs. the very quick or very fast, but has shut down ability vs. most WR's.

Round two B.

Steelers select DT Keeanu Benton
    Who I would have taken, same player
    Grade for need A
    Grade for value in the round B+

Benton impressed me at the senior bowl and can be a good DT / NT. He should start for us, and play DT / NT in 4-3, and the nickel. He offers a good two gap defense, which is something the defense sorely needs. His motor is good. He is tough to move and strong. Rotated off the field in obvious passing downs. He adds usual toughness.

Round three

Steeler select Washington
    Who I would have take S Battle
    Grade for need C
    Grade for value in the round B

Now this pick did not make much sense to me. We don't need a TE. This player wasn't productive in college. And he was a medical red flag. He is a tall TE, a big target, and has decent speed. Okay but there were better and more productive players on the board and our depth at TE is fine. I would have taken Battle. A player who offers some coverage ( with size ) and play the run well and is smart.

Round four

Steelers select Herbig
    Who I would have taken CB Blue Kelly
    Grade for need B
    Grade for value B

Herbig is a solid pick. A bit undersized, but he worked fairly well and had 11 sacks last year. In 11 games. Good production as a bitzer / attacker, but he leaves a lot to be desired as a run defender, He should add to special teams.

I would have opted for CB Blue Kelly, a corner who had 13 pass break ups at two intercpetions in 11 starts. He can't be matched vs a #1 WR , but will shine when matched vs a 3, 4, or 5.

Round seven A

Steelers select CB Cory Trice
    Who I would have taken QB Bagent
    Grade for value C
    Grade for need C

Trice is a very tall and big corner. Not a bad pick but I would have opted for QB Bagent who absolutely set division II on fire throwing for 4,500+ yards at 70% completion and 41 td's last year. Such a man deserves a look.

Round seven B
    Steelers select G Anderson
    Who I would have taken LB Thomas
    Grade for need C
    Grade for value C

The fascination with Maryland players continues. I would have selected LB Drake Thomas who was a team captain and all over the field. He made 101 tackles, 19 for loss with 7.5 sacks, also breaking up four passes in 13 starts. last year. Yes he is short, but fine for special teams, and offers leadership, smars, toughness.

Overall I am very pleased with this draft and for a change my picks are very similar to the Steelers.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 04-30-2023 at 11:56 AM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Anderson is a sleeper to make the team. Position versatility...Good athlete (5.19 40) excellent strength (29 reps) and size 6'5" 310 +/-...
    This guy will send Kendrick Green packing..

Legend

User Info Menu

He already is packing. It’s was round seven , but like I said it’s a deep draft and I felt there were better players on the board. Thanks.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Having only limited input on players medicals as fans we only know part of the evaluation. Like the guys we got but a few have medical concerns but have to trust team Kahn.
    I like the system Herbig played in he just does not fit the size narrative we use with Sunday ball at olb. The Wisconsin system is like ours (olb's required to rush, walk out n play man under and drop into zone as well) but we'll just have to see.
    He went pick 132 I believe and we all know we needed depth at olb. However I really like Rush who went only a few picks later at 138 to the Colts and could become a starting cb with real good upside. Physical corner along the physical lines of JPjr n Trice but a bit faster and sticky in coverage.
    Would have been nice if we had an extra pick n could have gotten both Herbig n Rush on day 3.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I think Anderson is a sleeper to make the team. Position versatility...Good athlete (5.19 40) excellent strength (29 reps) and size 6'5" 310 +/-...
    I think we'll try to get him to the ps, which tends to be hard with OL.

But it seems like we have lots of IOL to me.

I hope everyone we picked becomes awesome.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Having only limited input on players medicals as fans we only know part of the evaluation. Like the guys we got but a few have medical concerns but have to trust team Kahn.
    I like the system Herbig played in he just does not fit the size narrative we use with Sunday ball at olb. The Wisconsin system is like ours (olb's required to rush, walk out n play man under and drop into zone as well) but we'll just have to see.
    He went pick 132 I believe and we all know we needed depth at olb. However I really like Rush who went only a few picks later at 138 to the Colts and could become a starting cb with real good upside. Physical corner along the physical lines of JPjr n Trice but a bit faster and sticky in coverage.
    Would have been nice if we had an extra pick n could have gotten both Herbig n Rush on day 3.
    Agree on Herbig.

Seems like he'll end up inside if he's going to succeed. I guess we're saying OLB now because that's maybe what we feel is the biggest need?

But seems to me we should be trying to get Hwrbig as the backup ILB and Leal to OLB. I can't remember who we signed for edge depth... Anyone?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Agreed. The position versatility and overall skillset make him the type you keep around and try to develop (even if he is from Maryland). Looks bad for Green...

Legend

User Info Menu

Does anyone else care to say who you would have drafted with our picks?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good thread, One thing I want to bring up about this draft, we had so many "needs" and "wants" that "any pick" we would have made would have been greaat to good picks.

If we are going to play should have could have, I think I would have liked to selected Gonzales, Branch, and Bergouson in the mix with the other players picked.

Back to Joe's opionion, Battle would have been a great pick up, but I think there is a more upside with Washington. Also at safety, we already have Neal , Kazee, and probably knew that we were going to sign Sullivan, so maybe we had that covered. (Same reason why we went Porter over Branch).
    See above about Blue Kelly.

I wish we would have grabbed a center somewhere...

Washington AKA Mr. 6th OL, is going to

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Does anyone else care to say who you would have drafted with our picks?
    First I'll say i like our picks as ballplayers. Might have done some things differently, but tomaytoes, tomahtoes.
    I'd agree with our first three. Really couldn't have gone better and all positions of need.

At 93, I would have taken Clark Phillips-CB. Slot corner is so important (like a starter) in today's NFL and this guy is a great cover/ballhawk. Will say I like what Washington brings to the table.

Although I'm not 100% with the Herbig pick, looking who was available I tend to agree with it.

Since my change at 93 to CB, Trice is a great bargain but unnecessary. I take the guy picked right after Trice, Anthony Johnson-S. Good box type SS.

With 251, I take ER Lonnie Phelps. I understand the Anderson pick, but I'd like an Edge to develop. Phelps has a good motor and room to grow.

That's it, not much to pick on with our draft. Impressed by the Khan/Weidl team.