Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy on defense in free agency

Legend

User Info Menu

Heavy on defense in free agency

Signed two LBs, CB, NT, Safety. Resigned DL. Seems we are filling spots on that side of ball.

Does it mean prioritizing offense in draft? Perhaps saving draft capital to move up

I’ve said all off season that we have a false sense of security at WR.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Signed two LBs, CB, NT, Safety. Resigned DL. Seems we are filling spots on that side of ball.

Does it mean prioritizing offense in draft? Perhaps saving draft capital to move up

sure feels like it.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Omar is definitely making moves and setting an interesting table. I'm also a big fan of the seumalo signing at OG. It seems to me he's shored up both lines, addressed both LB's and secondary and has set up the draft without any glaring 'must haves'. That gives him the luxury of BPA. I'm always optimistic at draft time - but these moves strike me as the Steelers recognizing they are riding rookie contracts at QB, WR, TE and RB and this is the time to spend heavy elsewhere to make a legitimate run. There is a 3 year window staring them in the face - I like what I'm seeing so far.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Omar is definitely making moves and setting an interesting table. I'm also a big fan of the seumalo signing at OG. It seems to me he's shored up both lines, addressed both LB's and secondary and has set up the draft without any glaring 'must haves'. That gives him the luxury of BPA. I'm always optimistic at draft time - but these moves strike me as the Steelers recognizing they are riding rookie contracts at QB, WR, TE and RB and this is the time to spend heavy elsewhere to make a legitimate run. There is a 3 year window staring them in the face - I like what I'm seeing so far.
    Totally agree

Playing it smart. If Pickett earns a big contract, it will coincide with TJ and Minkah likely rolling off theirs

The way they have positioned themselves, everything is on the table Day 1 & 2 of the draft
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Khan is using free agency wisely BUT he is mostly bottom feeding on free agents who can help BUT not be quality starters due to our lack of depth. If he the Steelers get the offer, they should trade down in round one. So far I am uneasy with him at GM, with the first major move on his watch being the DJ Johnson contract.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

Honestly, I think they're filling their biggest holes with bodies, so when it comes to the draft, they can now come reasonably close to BPA.

Keep an eye out for players who signed 1-2 year deals... Those positions are still in play.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

The NT, S, and ILBs are nothing special, just the typical "back up plan" in case they fail to draft one. The CB will be 33, he's not a long term solution, either.

This is what the Steelers do - paper over holes and convince themselves that they're filled, until the next offseason when they do it all over again.

The Steelers list of ILBs since Shazier is starting to look like that Browns jersey with all the scratched out QB names.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 03-31-2023 at 07:57 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Spend heavy? They're signing from the bargain bin for mostly backup quality players. That's not trying to win with a rookie QB, that's business as usual.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Honestly, I think they're filling their biggest holes with bodies, so when it comes to the draft, they can now come reasonably close to BPA.

Keep an eye out for players who signed 1-2 year deals... Those positions are still in play.
    Yes they are. A switch and understating of the modern NFL is badly needed by the Steelers coaches and GM management. Khan better understand it. Tomlin does not,

I think the sooner we realize that Pickett and Harris are not the answer and move on from them before their second contact is up, the better shape we will be in. They just are not what we need at QB and RB.

We need a home run of a draft. I hear the Steelers watched Bennett work out. They might get an inside scoop on him is the ask Pickens. Kirby Smart has assembled quite a team. His contact is up in 2024...I think.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Spend heavy? They're signing from the bargain bin for mostly backup quality players. That's not trying to win with a rookie QB, that's business as usual.
    Right. I have no illusions about that.