X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NorthCoast
    Legend
    • Sep 2008

Vegas Says Steelers Basement Dwellers

I don't see how it's shocking. It pretty much follows QB rankings from last season.

Be interesting to see how things change with the LJ saga still churning.

Enjoying the 'no drama' offseason for the Steelers.

Oddsmakers Have Shocking Predictions About The Pittsburgh Steelers In 2023
    Originally posted on Steeler Nation | By Maura Carey | Last updated 3/24/23

For the third time in the past five years, the Pittsburgh Steelers were on the outside looking in this postseason. The expectations were low for the Steelers, as the offense would be in the hands of a new quarterback for the first time in 18 years. Although the black and gold showed a spark at the end of the season and AFC North teams are crumbling, the oddsmakers aren't too confident about Pittsburgh.

The AFC North Has Never Been More Competitive
    There was a time when AFC North games were a walk in the park for Pittsburgh. During the Terry Bradshaw era, the Steel City brought home six straight division titles spanning from 1974 to 1979. In more recent times, from 2001 through 2017, The Steelers won nine AFC North titles. Despite a history of success, the competition began heating up as each of the other divisional teams brought in Heisman-winning quarterbacks.

Oftentimes, bringing in a first-round overall pick means that you've hit rock bottom. Two out of the four AFC North teams had this opportunity, as the Cleveland Browns selected Baker Mayfield as the first pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and the Cincinnati Bengals picked up Joe Burrow first overall in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Baltimore Ravens, on the other hand, selected Lamar Jackson as the 32nd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Early on in each of the quarterbacks' careers, they brought success to their respective franchises. While Mayfield took his team to the playoffs, Burrow led the Bengals to a Super Bowl and Jackson earned unanimous league MVP honors in 2019. The Steelers still had confidence in the veteran quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.

The Odds Were Not In Pittsburgh's Favor
    With Roethlisberger retiring after 18 seasons and a Hall of Fame-caliber career, the future was unclear in Pittsburgh. In typical Mike Tomlin fashion, the panic button was never pressed, and they proceeded with business as usual. Before the 2022 NFL season, there wasn't much faith in the future of the Steelers. In August of 2022, oddsmakers rated the Ravens as the favorite to win the division with -240 odds, the Super Bowl runner-up Bengals had +217 odds, the Browns were +2200 and the Steelers were highly unfavored with +4000.

A Year Later, Not Much Has Changed
    Despite a 2-6 start to the 2022 season, the Steelers were able to make a strong comeback following the bye. Rookie quarterback Kenny Pickett had a chip on his shoulder and was able to lead the squad to late fourth-quarter comebacks with poise. As the season was coming to a close, momentum was gaining for the black and gold. Ultimately, the Steelers finished just short of playoffs and third in the conference with a 9-8 record.

BetOnline.ag has released opening divisional winner odds, and it's not looking good for Steel City. Once again, experts are predicting that the Steelers will finish last in the division. Noah Strackbein of Sports Illustrated released a summary.

"Behind the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns, the Steelers sit last with +450 opening odds. The Bengals have the lowest with +140 odds, followed by the Ravens (+225) and Browns (+400)."

This information comes as a surprise, as the black and gold are the only AFC North team to be relatively drama-free this offseason. The relationship between the Ravens and Jackson is in turmoil. The Browns' foreseeable future is in the hands of Deshaun Watson, who is not living up to expectations. As for the Steelers, the future is looking bright. If you ask us here at SteelerNation, we think the Steelers should be getting more credit, but maybe we're biased.
  • Oviedo
    Legend
    • May 2008

Just think of the great draft picks we would get...always a silver lining
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Comment

• Buzz
      Legend
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Oviedo
      Browns fans have worn out that silver lining

Comment

• Steel Maniac
        Banned
        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Oviedo
        true dat!!

Comment

• Blitzer
          Pro Bowler
          • Nov 2022

I think I might put some $$$ on the Steelers on my trip to Vegas next week

Comment

• whisper
            Legend
            • Mar 2020

Can't really argue either way; but I could see one take the position that we will be better than the Browns or Ravens...or not. Cookie could crumble either way.

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
              Legend
              • Nov 2011

Aging defense, popgun offense, feels right.

Comment

• Steel Maniac
                Banned
                • Apr 2017

I can't say Vegas is wrong or right. Too many unknowns right now.

Comment

• hawaiiansteel
                  Legend
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Steel Maniac
                  I'm sure you will later claim that the Steelers were favored to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl and it was all Tomlin's fault that we didn't.
                  Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
                  Hahahahahahaha

Comment

• Blitzer
                    Pro Bowler
                    • Nov 2022

Originally posted by hawaiiansteel
                    I'm sure you will later claim that the Steelers were favored to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl and it was all Tomlin's fault that we didn't.
                    As head coach, he would be more responsible than anyone else for them not making the Super Bowl. Who cares about March rankings

Comment

• Iron City Inc.
                      Hall of Famer
                      • Jun 2013

Oddsmakers numbers change as rosters change.
                      We're not a favorite today no argument there. Add another f/a or 2 then we crush this draft why couldn't we win the division!

Comment

• NorthCoast
                        Legend
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Iron City Inc.
                        Oddsmakers numbers change as rosters change.
                        We're not a favorite today no argument there. Add another f/a or 2 then we crush this draft why couldn't we win the division!
                        I'm optimistic with what I have seen so far from the Steelers off season moves, but it still very much depends on the QB.

Pickett can at least be as good as LJ, and maybe even with Watson. Burrow is clearly the leader in the AFCN.

Comment

• NorthCoast
                          Legend
                          • Sep 2008

Lookey here! The Steelers are favored to win one more game in 2023 vs 2022:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2opJRvN][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2opJRvN]capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                            Legend
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Steel Maniac
                            One "known"?
                            Tomlin is still coach. That means Vegas is wrong AGAIN.

16 years says bet the "over" on the current odds of futility he has NEVER EVER HAD.
                            2nd year QB who was trending up? WAY easier schedule?
                            The odds are stupid.

Easy money.
                            Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-28-2023, 12:45 PM.
                            sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
                            The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Comment

• NJ-STEELER
                              Legend
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Captain Lemming
                              One "known"?
                              Tomlin is still coach. That means Vegas is wrong AGAIN.

16 years says bet the "over" on the current odds of futility he has NEVER EVER HAD.
                              2nd year QB who was trending up? WAY easier schedule?
                              The odds are stupid.

Easy money.
                              no such thing with future bets like this.
                              I agree it’s all pointing up and should be a good bet.
                              But too many things can happen. Especially in collision sport like football. 1 injury and ur future bet is gone.

1 snap away from Mitch qbing.

or what if TJ opted for surgery last year. What was our record without him??
                              that future bet last year that won doesn’t even come close.

Comment

Working...