Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kiper: Picket would be 5th QB taken if in 2023 draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    He got injured on a sack last year. SEC may be the best conference in college, but it's not the NFL.

The OSU thing is a bit tricky, for the longest time they had running QBs who were passers second, they weren't expected to make it, none were drafted highly. Or they had lowly rated pocket passers. Krenzel? Cardale? He was a 4th round pick.

They've just started recruiting more NFL ready QBs, and Fields may take off this year. And even they he didn't play much there, they did recruit Burrow. Haskins was the first true bust in 40 years, but they've had more first round picks at QB in the last few years than they've had in the previous 50.

Helmet scouting is a bad way to evaluate, Clemson and Texas Tech weren't QB factories until Mahomes and Deshaun.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...s17n9f3w5ioero
    I didnt watch Mahomes in college but I watched Watson a ton in college. Dude put up ridiculous stats vs Bama in back to back National Championship games.

Stroud is interesting because he finally used his legs vs Georgia. He was a pure pocket passer but he’s also throwing to ridiculous talent.

Young was hurt on a sack.. pretty sure he wasn’t the only QB injured on a sack last year. It happens.

How many NFL QB’s were hurt last year on sacks? Every player is a hit away. I don’t buy the size argument and wouldn’t shy away from taking Young. Bama did not have the usual talent on OL or at WR last year either. People talk like Young is a RB or LB.

and the question on Stroud, is he going to be the first one or another bust? It has to be questioned simply because its a common trend due to the talent advantages they have over most team.. but somehow they can’t seem to beat Michigan with Stroud which is weird.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-24-2023 at 09:53 AM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I still think 2022 will have better QB’s than 2023 when the dust settles in a few years.
    honestly that's a possibility... And in my gut, I agree

For example, I think Purdy will keep that job in SF and will have a decent career.
    That class had a lot of mentally tough guys with leadership qualities: Pickett, Purdy, Ridder, Howell, Corral. Even Billy Zappe performed in NE when given the shot. They certainly all had their chinks in their armor come Combine time, but the game isn't played at the combine.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's 2024 offseason motto: Throw KP into the deep end and let him sink or swim. If he sinks, draft a 1st round QB in 2025

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and the question on Stroud, is he going to be the first one or another bust? It has to be questioned simply because its a common trend due to the talent advantages they have over most team.. but somehow they can’t seem to beat Michigan with Stroud which is weird.
    Fields and Burrow aren't busts. And yes, I know, Burrow's big year came at LSU but OSU recruited him. OSU has changed how they scout and recruit QBs, no more Terrelle Pryor/JT Barrett/Braxton Miller types, but more pocket passers who can also move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Fields and Burrow aren't busts. And yes, I know, Burrow's big year came at LSU but OSU recruited him. OSU has changed how they scout and recruit QBs, no more Terrelle Pryor/JT Barrett/Braxton Miller types, but more pocket passers who can also move.
    Burrow is way ahead of Fields and Haskins who the Buckeyes chose to stick with over Burrow.

One can say the Buckeyes are still producing college QB sensations and not QB’s who will produce at the next level until it happens. I know they changed their QB scouting but they still chose Haskin’s over Burrow.

I know Fields isn’t a bust but he isn’t lighting the world on fire with his arm either.

Its not all his fault. The Bears are awful offensively.

Did you know DJ Moore would be the all time leading WR in Bears history with his 5,200 yards. That’s insane.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

We can go back and forth on what draft class is better, but only time will truly tell. It is interesting that Mell put it out there, saying KP would be 5th taken, going along with the general assessment so far. Having just two QBs considered better is one thing, but having 4 is another. If Mel turns out right, then so were the pundits who said 2022 is a woeful QB class compared to 2023.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    We can go back and forth on what draft class is better, but only time will truly tell. It is interesting that Mell put it out there, saying KP would be 5th taken, going along with the general assessment so far. Having just two QBs considered better is one thing, but having 4 is another. If Mel turns out right, then so were the pundits who said 2022 is a woeful QB class compared to 2023.
    All of these can be right:

- 20223 QB class is much better than 2022 class
    - Pickett would for sure be well behind Stroud and Young in this year's class, and maybe fifth overall QB
    but, most importantly.....
    - If Steelers want to draft QB in the first, best available option at 17 likely Pickett or Richardson, and given the choice between the two, Richardson is the bigger gamble
    - The only option for significantly better QB would be a top 5-10 pick