Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Pro Day

Legend

User Info Menu

Ohio State Pro Day

The entire Steelers collective was there

Apparently a lot of "bonding" between Coach Tomlin and OT Dawand Jones (6' 8"/375 lbs) who is one of the biggest guys in the draft.

I see him a very interesting prospect, but I do worry that carrying that much weight will he have to deal with injuries down the road? Or perhaps the Steelers can get him down 25-30 lbs

Interested in your thoughts?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

He didn't play that heavy at OSU, agree that seems unsustainable. I think he was around 355, though.

Legend

User Info Menu

I saw kozora take him at 17 in his latest mock. Which I think is way too high.

unless they think he can play LT. At that size I question if he’s mobile enough for that side

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    He didn't play that heavy at OSU, agree that seems unsustainable. I think he was around 355, though.
    That's simply too heavy, buyers beware. And Tomlin's history dealing with players with weight problems ain't too good. He couldn't even get his punter down to an appropriate weight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Honestly, I'm hoping all the love they're giving him means they go for him at 2.32, not at 1.17.

An observation of mine is that often post-combine, guys rise, but by the time the draft comes they settle back to where there were before, with a handful of special exceptions... My gut says there's a "better than we think" chance that Broderick Jones will be there at 1.17 (or nearby). And our assistant o-line coach who got tossed at the combine by him may have an opinion. BWAHAHA
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    That's simply too heavy, buyers beware. And Tomlin's history dealing with players with weight problems ain't too good. He couldn't even get his punter down to an appropriate weight.
    that man keeps feeding the punter cupcakes
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Honestly, I'm hoping all the love they're giving him means they go for him at 2.32, not at 1.17.

An observation of mine is that often post-combine, guys rise, but by the time the draft comes they settle back to where there were before, with a handful of special exceptions... My gut says there's a "better than we think" chance that Broderick Jones will be there at 1.17 (or nearby). And our assistant o-line coach who got tossed at the combine by him may have an opinion. BWAHAHA
    I forgot who it was but 1 of the bigger draft guy has Darnell weight ahead of Paris and Broderick in latest ranking.

Hopefully it falls that way

Legend

User Info Menu

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...ost_position=1

Rooney must be doing OK to afford paying for that dinner.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The entire Steelers collective was there

Apparently a lot of "bonding" between Coach Tomlin and OT Dawand Jones (6' 8"/375 lbs) who is one of the biggest guys in the draft.

I see him a very interesting prospect, but I do worry that carrying that much weight will he have to deal with injuries down the road? Or perhaps the Steelers can get him down 25-30 lbs

Interested in your thoughts?
    My thoughts are as non - mobile run blocker are WOW, he is a first round talent with and I use this term lightly upper NFL ability . With the size, monster hands and those long arms he is a man among men and can rag doll defenders as he did so in some games and during the senior bowl practice which features 100+ players who will be drafted. He is super strong. Speed wise he is not fast. Not a trap tackle but he can be a beast once he gets his hands on you, if basically over. If he is used right he can be deployed on screens with great effect.

As a pass protecter due to his size and long arms, he difficult to beat and nearly impossible to bull rush. He uses his hands well. He did not allow a sack is 2022, or QB hits and gave up just 3 hurries. But he might need a breather every now and then ( I say rotate a player in for him and get with 2023 situational football ) and occasionally be helped out vs a very speedy DE with a TE next to him.

I think he absolutely is worth pick #32 and could go every higher. He needs to watch his weight though. I like him at RT. There he can shine.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 03-24-2023 at 05:22 AM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    My thoughts are as non - mobile run blocker are WOW, he is a first round talent with and I used this term lightly upper NFL ability . With the size, monster hands and those long arms he is a man among men and can rag doll defenders as he did so in some games and during the senior bowl practice which features 100+ players who will be drafted. He is super strong. Speed wise he is not fast. Not a trap tackle but he can be a beast once he gets his hands on you, if basically over. If he is used right he can be deployed on screens with great effect.

As a pass protecter due to his size and long arms, he difficult to beat and nearly impossible to bull rush. He uses his hands well. He did not allow a sack is 2022, or QB hits and gave up just 3 hurries. But he might need a breather every now and then ( I say rotate a player in for him and get with 2023 situational football ) and occasionally be helped out vs a very speedy DE with a TE next to him.

I think he absolutely is worth pick #32 and could go every higher. He needs to watch his weight though. I like him at RT. There he can shine.
    He checks in at 375 when he knows his future is at hand? I'd hate to see what he will eat himself to after wards. He could easily see the 400 LB range, after which his head coach will say nothing. He'll just feed him multiple pounds of wings.