Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: To Pickett or not to Pickett. That is the question.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    while they didn’t add value to the team I think Mason being drafted forced Ben to change his answer regarding his plans for the future.

I believe Ben hinted he may retire. It was the typical answer a vet gives at the end of the season.

Steelers moved up for Mason and Ben was back in the building telling everyone he was trying to play 3 to 5 years.
    I think he was just pissed about working with Haley...who was a good OC, but a jackass by all accounts.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And I don't think any of those picks added value to the team (although I guess we traded Dobbs at one point). Replacing them with UDFAs or guys off the scrap heap would have been pretty much the same thing IMO.
    Fair... They more or less did that with Duck Hodges and it wasn't that much of a drop off. I think the Rudolph pick was the first true consideration of life after Roethlisberger. Obviously didn't work out but I get the thinking.

I'll support the separation of process and results to a degree here. At some point, you do have to actually produce the results but a backup QB who can play in a pinch in addition to supporting game planning, in game adjustments, etc. is probably more valuable than say, Dri Archer or Chris Rainey.

The other part of it in the here and now is that Mason is arguably the best FA backup still available. If he doesn't want to come back then they're kind of in a pinch.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think he was just pissed about working with Haley...who was a good OC, but a jackass by all accounts.
    This is also probably true. I forgot about the timing of Haley’s release.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hackjam View Post
    Fair... They more or less did that with Duck Hodges and it wasn't that much of a drop off. I think the Rudolph pick was the first true consideration of life after Roethlisberger. Obviously didn't work out but I get the thinking.

I'll support the separation of process and results to a degree here. At some point, you do have to actually produce the results but a backup QB who can play in a pinch in addition to supporting game planning, in game adjustments, etc. is probably more valuable than say, Dri Archer or Chris Rainey.

The other part of it in the here and now is that Mason is arguably the best FA backup still available. If he doesn't want to come back then they're kind of in a pinch.
    well it definitely depends on who you pick if you don’t select a QB. I think most use the best of both worlds when using this discussion. You would draft the best QB or if not, then you would certainly draft the best player in that spot.

The reality is the draft is a crap shoot. I think when drafting a back up QB you are thinking 1 to 3 fames at most but if you are trying to ride a backup for 15 games chances are slim you will succeed with a backup.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I said drafting a QB this year in the 2nd or 3rd round would be the dumbest pick of all time. I stand by this.

The Pats drafting a QB in the seventh round 4 years into Brady’s career is normal. There is nothing stupid about that.

Like I said earlier, Brady was a 6th rounder. If we draft a 6th who ends up being the goat that is AWESOME. I have no issues with that.

I also don’t have as much of an issue drafting QB’s in the middle of the 4th once a QB is on the backside of his career. That is smart drafting. Once a QB is making big bank its not a bad idea to hit the draft for insurance, especially if they are on short contracts. Never know when you will have to replace that franchise guy.

Drafting a QB in the second or third a year after drafting a QB in the first who has yet to have a full camp and has the confidence of the front office.. that would be STUPID. It won’t happen.

and to clarify… A STUPID draft pick is not the same as a BAD draft pick. Bad picks will happen, you remind us all the time how we made bad picks in Najee and Kenny, lol.

But again, I stand by my original statement. A QB in the second or third would be the dumbest pick on the history of the Steelers. We need to surround Kenny with talent and improve the defense. Drafting a position that will stand on the sideline and probably never see any meaningful snaps is a waste of a pick.
    When a team has a first round hall of fame QB, they drafted QB's in the 2nd and third round. Sonny you don't know what your talking about. Pickett did not show well as a rookie, keep pretending he did. The Steeler would be wise to add someone cheap to their bench just in case Pickett ranges to a bad NFL starter to a bust. The rookie excuses are over. At best case he is trending as a game manger type. He is not elite or the type of QB that is worth what the good ones get on their send contacts.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Our 2024 draft is grade A.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    When a team has a first round hall of fame QB, they drafted QB's in the 2nd and third round. Sonny you don't know what your talking about. Pickett did not show well as a rookie, keep pretending he did. The Steeler would be wise to add someone cheap to their bench just in case Pickett ranges to a bad NFL starter to a bust. The rookie excuses are over. At best case he is trending as a game manger type. He is not elite or the type of QB that is worth what the good ones get on their send contacts.
    maybe you should start another thread about how the Steelers need to draft another QB?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm with Felt here. There's no way in hell the Steelers draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. It makes no sense whatsoever. It would be an epic waste. Very late rounds to take a chance on someone after we've filled in our needs? - sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Brady was 14 years into his career when they drafted Jimmy G in the second. That’s not the same as drafting a QB in the second 1 year after drafting a QB in the first round.

and lmao at “the rookie excuses are over” like it’s Kenny’s 3rd year.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-21-2023 at 10:52 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I'm with Felt here. There's no way in hell the Steelers draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. It makes no sense whatsoever. It would be an epic waste. Very late rounds to take a chance on someone after we've filled in our needs? - sure.
    I'm not saying a first round pick this year, or our two second round picks. But it is time to get real on Pickett. He wasn't even the best QB in 2022 draft class, that was Purdy.

Purdy had a qb rating of 107.3 threw 13 TD and 4 INT. No comparison to Pickett. I think another rookie was better than Pickett too.

Rookie QB Howell, a greener player 22 year old vs. Pickett soon to be 25 yards old in June showed more as much as Pickett did in 1 game vs. 12 games.

Bailey Zappe a 4th round pick played 4 games on a punchless New England team yet he has a QB rating of 100.9. 70.7% completion , threw for an average of 195 yards, 5 Td 3 Int. His team 26.36 points in his 4 games played. Compare this to Picket if you dare. This better across the board.

WTF. All better than Pickett averaged. What do we really have here? 3 other rookies none of which had the starting college game experience of Pickett. Look at what they did. Fellas unless Kenny improves a lot as a rookie, we need better. This is why I'm for a QB NOW in round 3 or 4.

We drafted a game manager type of QB in round one who did not pass or lead the offense to may points and LIVED on the defense producing #1 in interceptions in the NFL. Otherwise he would be more exposed. We can not plan on so many interceptions next year. He passed mostly under ideal game circumstance with short safe passes throwing and competing a limited amount or 6,7,8, and 9 routes. I know he lacks the arm. And he isn't smart either to put it mildly. I don't want to sound like Steven A Smith here. I can be wrong and I hope Pickett plays a lot better next year. But the odds of him being a QB you want to keep are low and in these l cases I you need to draft a QB. Hope is not a strategy.

A thread on Pickett vs other QB's drafted in 2022 has not been posted or thought about much in this forum.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 03-22-2023 at 07:48 AM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Our 2024 draft is grade A.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not saying a first round pick this year, or our two second round picks. But it is time to get real on Pickett. He wasn't even the best QB in 2022 draft class, that was Purdy.

Purdy had a qb rating of 107.3 threw 13 TD and 4 INT. No comparison to Pickett. I think another rookie was better than Pickett too.

Rookie QB Howell, a greener player 22 year old vs. Pickett soon to be 25 yards old in June showed more as much as Pickett did in 1 game vs. 12 games.

Bailey Zappe a 4th round pick played 4 games on a punchless New England team yet he has a QB rating of 100.9. 70.7% completion , threw for an average of 195 yards, 5 Td 3 Int. His team 26.36 points in his 4 games played. Compare this to Picket if you dare. This better across the board.

WTF. All better than Pickett averaged. What do we really have here? 3 other rookies none of which had the starting college game experience of Pickett. Look at what they did. Fellas unless Kenny improves a lot as a rookie, we need better. This is why I'm for a QB NOW in round 3 or 4.

We drafted a game manager type of QB in round one who did not pass or lead the offense to may points and LIVED on the defense producing #1 in interceptions in the NFL. Otherwise he would be more exposed. We can not plan on so many interceptions next year. He passed mostly under ideal game circumstance with short safe passes throwing and competing a limited amount or 6,7,8, and 9 routes. I know he lacks the arm. And he isn't smart either to put it mildly. I don't want to sound like Steven A Smith here. I can be wrong and I hope Pickett plays a lot better next year. But the odds of him being a QB you want to keep are low and in these l cases I you need to draft a QB. Hope is not a strategy.

A thread on Pickett vs other QB's drafted in 2022 has not been posted or thought about much in this forum.
    You can be all for a QB NOW in round 3 or 4 all you want but the Steelers won't be. It would be an epic fail of a draft, given all their other needs. Ignoring the QB's, you can't even compare the 49'ers offense and coordinator to ours.

Purdy had a better QB rating than Troy Aikman too, in his rookie season. Aikman was 0–11 as a starter, completing 155 of 293 passes for 1,749 yards, 9 touchdowns, and 18 interceptions.

Steve Young had a passer rating of 56.9 with 935 yards, 3 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in 5 games in his rookie season in 1985.

Terry Bradshaw had a passer rating of 30.4 with 1,410 yards, 6 touchdowns and 24 interceptions in 13 games in his rookie season in 1970.
    Last edited by Eich; 03-22-2023 at 08:28 AM.