Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitz restructures

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    In a perfect world they would have done this before the legal tampering period, if they really want the cap space to sign good players, that is.

We hear this excuse every year about limited cap, which magically comes available as the store shelves are already picked over.
    I think that these things get executed much faster than you think.

They were in (on some level) with Brown.

I think it's silly to assume they don't already have the paperwork for this (and Watt's restructure) ready. It's likely all they have to do is send it in.

Especially since players don't usually have to agree to restructures since most contracts say it's 100% at the discretion of the teams. I think these restructures used to take a lot more time because they had to get players to agree.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wonder if Watt restructures or are they concerned about his injury?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Seems almost certain that he will restructure by the end of the offseason when we need the full 53 + PS + extra money for the season.

This gives us enough room for now.

May not have to do max restructure on Watt?
    I would also hold off, if his recent injury trend continues, no way I'd do it and in fact, might look to move on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think that these things get executed much faster than you think.

They were in (on some level) with Brown.

I think it's silly to assume they don't already have the paperwork for this (and Watt's restructure) ready. It's likely all they have to do is send it in.

Especially since players don't usually have to agree to restructures since most contracts say it's 100% at the discretion of the teams. I think these restructures used to take a lot more time because they had to get players to agree.
    That last paragraph is news to me. I had no idea of this. THAT is why Khan said confidently they have the means to go get a player they really want. He knows in advance how he can work a contract.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

it sucks that the Steelers have a QB on his rookie contract but still have to restructure

Legend

User Info Menu

What players wouldn’t take a boat load of cash up front??
    so the team can spread the cap hit on the remaining years of the contract.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
    it sucks that the Steelers have a QB on his rookie contract but still have to restructure
    wow...never thought about it like that. ouch.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    That's what Mahomes just did yesterday when they restructured his contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    of course, no downside for the player doing that.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
    Really? I think you need to look around at the top teams and see this is just how it works. Unless I am mistaken and the information I hear on podcasts, watch on NFL network and even ESPN are wrong.

Who has them most available cap space each season? Not the best teams. And the very competitive teams just do restructures to free up some cap. But that can come bad to bite them if not very careful IMO. Competitive teams that spend up to the cap do this book keeping all the time. It is being careful with the players that get restructured that dead money does not come back to hurt them IMO.

Rookie QB deal just open up costs there and moves it to another position IMO. With no rookie QB your letting go of players you might want to keep. Even with restructuring you can not fit those contract. Say Brown and juju for the chiefs. I believe they lost another player was it OLB Houston maybe to lazy to look. I see it this way the chiefs have player turn over because of cap issues. Steelers have player turn over because of player performance issues right now.

Also the 2020 season hit hard cap wise with not a “normal” yearly increase in cap money. Also in my opinion Ben’s dead money at the end was a tough pill to swallow.
    But mostly managed well IMO. Watt and Minka with the big contracts are nice because there not players there moving on from anytime soon. So less chance of big dead money from a early release. As long as health holds up for the duration of the contract.

Speaking of this I Wonder how bad Woodley’s dead money was back in the day. I remember his contract was big. And he fell off a cliff performance wise. But I was not watching the cap or even understood the cap back then.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    That last paragraph is news to me. I had no idea of this. THAT is why Khan said confidently they have the means to go get a player they really want. He knows in advance how he can work a contract.
    It used to be that they had to negotiate. I think I remember them reports about how guys like Ward were selfless for doing a restructure (which shows that reporters tend to not understand the cap).

But teams realize that only slows them down. And it also gives players leverage.

My understanding (I think from Joel Correy's show) that it's standard language in contracts that teams can do this at their soul discretion now.