Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ILB Cole Holcomb signing with Steelers

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Over his 4 years in the league, Holcomb has given up 135 completions on 180 targets for 1205 yards and 8 TDs, and a passer rating of 100.35.

Let's hope he can show some marked improvement in that area
    Damn...he's more like Spillane then we thought. LOL

Banned

User Info Menu

I don't know that I'd call it all "bottom basement shopping" ... they threw some pretty decent money at Schobert and Jack, IIRC

Maybe they just have some difficulty with player evaluation, identifying guys who can do everything they ask their ILBs to do
    Buzz.. so they can't evaluate? That makes me feel so much better.Thanks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Buzz.. so they can't evaluate? That makes me feel so much better.Thanks.
    I'm not saying for sure that they can't, but I have a hard time seeing why they've had so many misses at ILB these past several years. With the draft, I can understand it a little better, you don't always know how a college player is going to translate to the pro game. But to repeatedly miss on veteran NFL ILBs? Kinda makes me wonder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not saying for sure that they can't, but I have a hard time seeing why they've had so many misses at ILB these past several years. With the draft, I can understand it a little better, you don't always know how a college player is going to translate to the pro game. But to repeatedly miss on veteran NFL ILBs? Kinda makes me wonder.
    I have to wonder if it's, "that guy at up our o-line, I've seen him in person", which both Jack and Schobert did at different points.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know that I'd call it all "bottom basement shopping" ... they threw some pretty decent money at Schobert and Jack, IIRC

Maybe they just have some difficulty with player evaluation, identifying guys who can do everything they ask their ILBs to do
    I think fans expectations vs player availability, how player could fit into the team's plans, and financial risk should be weighed.

Throwing a huge deal at a player that never played for the team is a huge risk. Especially when the team doesn't know how the player will fit into the team.

It's difficult for teams to find the types of players that fans expect.

Jacksonville made the mistake with Schobert. The Steelers paid him 3.6 mill. Jack appeared to play well until he was injured. The Steelers might attempt to extend Jack to a fair deal considering his age.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign LB Cole Holcomb (3 years, $18 million): B+ Grade

The Steelers have endured issues at linebacker ever since Ryan Shazier's devastating injury. They've tried many options, including Myles Jack and Devin Bush, but nothing has really panned out. This signing, however, might finally be the answer.

Cole Holcomb has been a solid, three-down linebacker for the Redskins. He's not a great player by any means, but he's a quality starter who won't be a liability at all. This seems to be a fair price for him, so I think a B+ grade is warranted.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Mark Barron
    Jon Bostic
    Avery Williamson
    Joe Schobert
    Myles Jack

Steelers' FA additions at ILB since Shazier played

now Cole Holcomb

Kozora pretty much expresses my sentiments: https://steelersdepot.com/2023/03/il...et-hurt-again/
    Wait until we have a QB playing on a rookie deal, THEN we will make a big free agent spl...

Oh, wait.

Legend

User Info Menu

Over his 4 years in the league, Holcomb has given up 135 completions on 180 targets for 1205 yards and 8 TDs, and a passer rating of 100.35.

Let's hope he can show some marked improvement in that area
    In his fifth year after having surgery on his foot? Not holding my breath.

Legend

User Info Menu

Contract details....if he's simply Spillane 2.0, he'll be cut after the first year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...6%2C000%2C000.