Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: New QB contracts

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    This kills the Browns if he never returns to 2020 form, of course. If he does, they're in the same boat as everyone else with a star QB, maybe less so. Mahomes has higher cap hits some years, for instance.

Also, these other QBs will likely restructure multiple times to push cap into future years, we all know that catches up to you. Maybe the "pay as you go" method comes into vogue if Watson is playing like an All Pro next year and the Browns are in the playoff chase with a QB locked in at known rate for five years.
    Watson's dead money hits almost 220 mil in 2023. Mahomes highest is the upcoming year at over 95 mil. Mahomes contract allows KC the ability to save 42 mil starting after the 2024 season if they ever chose to part ways. Watson can never be cut until his contract is up.

It's bad business risking all that money fully guaranteed cash, which many owners don't have sitting around to put in escrow, on a player in a violent sport where we also see their abilities fall off a cliff at times. Owners want someway to get out after 2 or 3 seasons at most, which is by far the smarter business way.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Serious question... what happens if Watson shreds his elbow first game of this season? Career ending injury. Do the Clowns have to keep paying him as if he was still their QB for the remaining 4 years? Does that come with the same annual cap hit as if he was playing those years? Or are they able to play with how they eat that guaranteed money to fix the cap sooner?
    He gets payed 100% no matter what happens to him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    I get that. That's what guaranteed means. But how does it affect their cap each year? The same as if he was playing the remaining 4 years of his contract? Or can they do something creative to manage the cap differently?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I get that. That's what guaranteed means. But how does it affect their cap each year? The same as if he was playing the remaining 4 years of his contract? Or can they do something creative to manage the cap differently?
    As far as I know, there is no clause that would allow that in case of injury. Meaning they would have to eat the cap hit as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Heard rumors on here they wanted to restructure.. how do they do that? Give him more of his money now? Can they add another 5 years to his contract to spread out the guaranteed portion? He would still get all his money but they can pay dead money long after he is gone?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Heard rumors on here they wanted to restructure.. how do they do that? Give him more of his money now? Can they add another 5 years to his contract to spread out the guaranteed portion? He would still get all his money but they can pay dead money long after he is gone?
    That's what I was wondering too.

Legend

User Info Menu

As far as I know, there is no clause that would allow that in case of injury. Meaning they would have to eat the cap hit as well.
    But I wonder if they can restructure the cap hit to spread it out longer? Or take more in a single year? Something to avoid crippling them if he has a career ending injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

And I think it continues counting on the cap.

These are 2 reasons owners won't go for guaranteed contracts.

And honestly, it's probably why the majority of players in the PA shouldn't want them either. The salary cap means the pie is fixed every year. Allowing teams to cut guys that don't live up to their cap number means that there is more money for non-superstars.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And I think it continues counting on the cap.
    With no ability to restructure to spread it out longer or take more in a single year? If that's the case, and Watson had a career ending injury, they'd have to play a rookie QB or some cheap backup until his cap hit was gone.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Clowns are the Clowns for a reason. But that absurd contract they gave to Watson doesn't have to mean that they reset the expectations for every other team. Owners don't have to use that as the new standard. Just don't pay it to other QBs. Just like the Rats aren't paying it to Lamar. There doesn't have to be "collusion". Just don't pay such huge guarantees to any QB if you don't like it. But if you cave, then you have to deal with the cap consequences.