Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: New QB contracts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Well I’m using “what is” vs what “should be” when it comes to comps. Unless you are drafting in the top 10 what are the chances that rookie QB will be a better option than an average vet if you are trying to remain competitive? More than likely you will use that first round pick on BPA.

The reality is the NFL believes a Geno/Cousins/Carr is a better option than a rookie QB in the second or 3rd round. More times than not this is correct too.
    I guess what I'm advocating (which is something we'd never do) is start a guy like Mitch (or a guy who's a lower demand UFA) for a season. Then you'll probably be picking in the top 10.

My guess is that it's more like the NFL believes that it's better for fan interest to start a guy who is more well known and has shown themselves not to be terrible. Drafting a guy has a lower floor. But what's the ceiling with Smith or Carr? I think they've probably seen it already. You never know though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Also heard that Carr’s contract is actually 2 years 60 mill once you remove the (fluff) according to Brandt.

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/sta...08557002326017
    Don't know who's right, but one of the comments there say he gets $70 in guaranteed money after year 1.

I'll wait for the next "Inside the Cap" episode. I bet Corry will do a good job of breaking down these contracts.

Either way, I agree that structure is really important on these deals. The "best" example of this might by T. Hill's contract. That last year is apparently totally fake and just there for the bragging rights of highest paid WR when he signed or whatever. I think deals like that are pretty unethical because my understanding is that players pay agents based on total contract value and not total money earned. Seems like a massive conflict of interest to put those kind of years in there to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Don't know who's right, but one of the comments there say he gets $70 in guaranteed money after year 1.

I'll wait for the next "Inside the Cap" episode. I bet Corry will do a good job of breaking down these contracts.

Either way, I agree that structure is really important on these deals. The "best" example of this might by T. Hill's contract. That last year is apparently totally fake and just there for the bragging rights of highest paid WR when he signed or whatever. I think deals like that are pretty unethical because my understanding is that players pay agents based on total contract value and not total money earned. Seems like a massive conflict of interest to put those kind of years in there to me.
    Brandt implied another $10 mill is available and should be added but “based on last year you never know”
    Find my post for me and help me prove I’m Black

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well, first off, its not SB or bust even though fans don’t want to hear this. Its about being competitive enough to make the playoffs for a chance to win a SB. Too
    much can happen in a single elimination game to put it all on 1 contract.

I do believe that 3rd contract is the killer but the 2nd one usually leaves enough room because you can spread out the cap hit. I do know fully guaranteed eliminates that ability.

But I also keep hearing how the cap is a myth and it can be manipulated if you really want to keep players. Saints have bene in cap hell forever and somehow they
    keep finding money to retain or get new talent.
    I hear you about single elimination games, but year-in-year-out those games are usually won by the better teams. It's hard to upset teams all the way to the SB as the last decade has shown. I'm not saying it's SB or bust, but a QB gobbling up over 15% of the cap has not led to much success at all over the years. Saints keeping talent has done what for them?

I'm a firm believer that if you overpay for a QB who requires too many other parts to succeed, then it's a waste in my opinion. That cap eating QB needs to elevate those around him, or else good luck.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

From what I hear both Geno and Carr signed team friendly type deals. I'll wait for details to follow.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    I'm a firm believer that if you overpay for a QB who requires too many other parts to succeed, then it's a waste in my opinion. That cap eating QB needs to elevate those around him, or else good luck.
    And...I think we are seeing some push back from organazations now because of this; Ravens don't want to pay Lamar what Mahomes/Deshawn Watson is getting because he's not that elite. Then , we see the Giants and Daniel Jones are far apart because Jones asking for 45mil a year?? Ain't happening bro. Jones isn't a 45 mil a year QB by any stretch of the imagination.

When the commanders let Cousins go and kick rocks, everyone called them crazy at the time; but now with a longer lens, they were right. Cousins isn't that type of QB. Mahomes should be the top guy in salary; everyone else needs to fall behind him until further notice.
    From the 2010-2022 season,(A 13 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years.

Steeler fans still loving on Tomlin now, are the same as Dolphin fans in the 90's who were still loving on Shula for what he did in the 70's

Legend

User Info Menu

From what I hear both Geno and Carr signed team friendly type deals. I'll wait for details to follow.
    Those teams have their QB's at the right price. I like the Seahawks chances in the next 3 years to push up into the NFC championship and possibly beyond.
    From the 2010-2022 season,(A 13 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years.

Steeler fans still loving on Tomlin now, are the same as Dolphin fans in the 90's who were still loving on Shula for what he did in the 70's

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Those teams have their QB's at the right price. I like the Seahawks chances in the next 3 years to push up into the NFC championship and possibly beyond.
    Seahawks have draft capital to go along with cap space. I agree they will make some noise in the next couple of years. Falcons and Lions both have built a top oline and now have the means necessary to take the next steps with draft capital and cap space. The NFC might be in for some shakeup if these 3 franchises make the right moves in the draft and FA market. Falcons need a QB though, so it will be interesting to see what they do.

Legend

User Info Menu

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rs-75-million/

Here's Geno's contract base. Really team friendly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seahawks have draft capital to go along with cap space. I agree they will make some noise in the next couple of years. Falcons and Lions both have built a top oline and now have the means necessary to take the next steps with draft capital and cap space. The NFC might be in for some shakeup if these 3 franchises make the right moves in the draft and FA market. Falcons need a QB though, so it will be interesting to see what they do.
    I'm interested to see what Ridder looks like in his second season. There were 2-3 posters who thought he had the goods last year before the draft.

He had little flashes last year at the end. But he'll have a year in camp and in the same system too...very interested to see if he makes a jump. I think they need to add a big time WR to go with him thou. I wasn't too impress with Drake London. I think they need a big speed guy now.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 03-07-2023 at 01:30 PM.