Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: New QB contracts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Hard for me to relate to the ego that can turn down $133M guaranteed. GUARANTEED. Money that most people can't fathom in 10 lifetimes.
    That’s because you aren’t in that tax bracket. We cant use our broke boy logic when viewing professional athletes contract negotiations.

If you made 27 mill in your one year and watched people playing your same position making $200 mill over X amount of years you would be offended at a lowball offer.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I used to think about it this way too.

But, he's already earned ~$27M. So, he's already earned way more money than a reasonable person would spend in a lifetime (even if we do realize that the take home is probably something like 40-50% of this).

In that case, if I was doing a job that was likely reducing my lifespan and my healthspan, I'd probably want to sell my health and longevity for as much as the market would bear.

Although if it was me, I'd probably just say F-it and walk away. Although it's probably impossible to understand what any of us would actually do in this situation, we can see that people in these situations very rarely take home team discounts. I'm sure that "it's a business" is something the league teaches players very, very early.
    I doubt you would walk away if you played your whole life to get where these athletes are..

Most rarely walk away before that huge pay day. Especially if you are relatively healthy and only 26.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He won't sit out, but he doesn't have to go to off season workouts or training camp. He can just show up the week before the regular season starts.

He has lots of leverage in his favor
    IIRC the new CBA made missing camp very punitive. And I don't think teams can waive or repay fines for missing mandatory events anymore.

I think that's why TJ did a "hold in" and not a "hold out".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

LJ can dream all he wants about Watson's idiotic contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That’s because you aren’t in that tax bracket. We cant use our broke boy logic when viewing professional athletes contract negotiations.

If you made 27 mill in your one year and watched people playing your same position making $200 mill over X amount of years you would be offended at a lowball offer.
    I agree with the logic, but in this case it isn't "people" who he is watching, it is "person". One Mr. Deshaun Watson. I am guessing that if you put the offer into perspective without the Cleveland Browns in thew mix then what Lamar has been offered is within the guidelines of FMV. When you only focus on one QB, who sat out one year, was suspended for most of the next, and earns over $50M/yr fully guaranteed the other 4 years, we are all underpaid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    IIRC the new CBA made missing camp very punitive. And I don't think teams can waive or repay fines for missing mandatory events anymore.

I think that's why TJ did a "hold in" and not a "hold out".
    but weren’t they still under contract?

I think Lamar is like Bell where he isn’t technically under contract so he doesn’t have to report. Did that change as well with the new CBA?

This report says he doesn’t have to report until right before the season and can’t get fined.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-lamar-jackson

Legend

User Info Menu

but weren’t they still under contract?

I think Lamar is like Bell where he isn’t technically under contract so he doesn’t have to report. Did that change as well with the new CBA?

This report says he doesn’t have to report until right before the season and can’t get fined.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-lamar-jackson
    That will never change. No contract signed, no obligation to the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Disagree. Everyone is wired differently. In the past, I've taken less $$ because of a situation I preferred, over being the highest paid.

And I don't think $133M guaranteed was a lowball offer to Lamar at ALL, particularly when you see the kinds of contracts that the GOAT has played for in his career. He was never about setting the bar for QB pay. He was about being great. Reminds me of Bell. He was more interested in setting the bar than being great in a role that was perfect for him. And he later openly regretted it.

Different people handle things differently. I think Lamar is focused solely on beating the insane contract that his counterpart got from the Clowns.

I've always been of the opinion of doing what you love for the reason that you love it. Not for the money. If the money becomes the most important thing, you're going to end up disappointed.

Banned

User Info Menu

no.. the 82 Mill is guaranteed for the first 2 years. This way they can get out of it if he sucks.

https://www.bigblueview.com/platform...saquon-barkley

He’s going to make $41 mill per year the first 2 years. Jones demands $45 year and settles for $40 mill over 2 years?
    That's what I said............but for contract purposes, the 82mil is spread over the life of the 4 year deal.................on paper. But it's a guaranteed 82mil.

In reality, he's getting the 82 mil the first two years...............on the accounting papers, ....the 82 mil is spread over 4 years. After the first two years, watch out because all the guaranteed stuff is out the way and the Giants are free to move on if they so choose. It's really a two year deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I agree with the logic, but in this case it isn't "people" who he is watching, it is "person". One Mr. Deshaun Watson. I am guessing that if you put the offer into perspective without the Cleveland Browns in thew mix then what Lamar has been offered is within the guidelines of FMV. When you only focus on one QB, who sat out one year, was suspended for most of the next, and earns over $50M/yr fully guaranteed the other 4 years, we are all underpaid.
    Maybe… No idea of how the contract for $133 fully guaranteed was structured. This article gives a higher number. Between $160M - $180M guaranteed but the language changed and does the use the word fully… which usually means it waa that fuzzy math.

But I also think if the fully guaranteed number was $133 or even $160-$180M guaranteed its still below Kyler Murray who just got $189M.

but this article also says initially the number was $113M. That type of start to negotiations if true is probably the reason Lamar is holding firm.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-wor...contract-offer