View Poll Results: What would you prefer happens with LJ and the Ravens?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lamar signs fully guaranteed $230M, 5 yrs.

    8 72.73%
  • Lamar signs elsewhere

    3 27.27%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Given the choice, which would you prefer the Ravens do with Lamar Jackson

  1. #21
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Why?? If his contract is spread out to take up 13%-15% of the cap yearly, what difference does the money being guaranteed make?
    Usually when people talk about structure, I think they mean how the guarantees are spread out over 5 years and the salaries change. And about how you have the ability to take base salary, turn it into a gauranteed bonus, and spread that money over 5 years (or until the end of the contract).

    But my understanding is that if salaries are already guaranteed, they can't be restructured (maybe that's not true?).

    At least, there's no benefit to the player for restructuring in that case. So maybe it's possible, but not super-likely? Usually, I'd be thinking of this in the context of rookie contracts (which don't make sense to restructure because they aren't big enough), tag contracts (which aren't long enough to restructure), and 5th year options (like tags, can't spread out over multiple years).

    Maybe it doesn't always have to be this way in a fully gauranteed contract, but the Watson contract has equal cap numbers for all but the 1st year. The reason teams usually inflate the numbers at the end of the contract seems to be because it makes the player feel better to have a high AAV. I guess players maybe like those bigger numbers because it probably forces teams to make decisions early in the league year, so if they'll get cut they know about it?

    That's not how Wilson's contract is set up (i.e. not same value every year). But his contract isn't fully guaranteed either.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-13-2023 at 01:43 PM.

  2. #22
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don’t actually believe he was really hurt this year. If he signed that mega deal last offseason I think he would be out there playing.

    But I also don’t buy the “if he ran less” because Mahomes was out there on one leg these last 2 weeks.

    Injuries are part of the game and tons of QB’s missed games this year due to injury.
    He was also hurt (or at least "hurt") at the end of last season too.

    He's an elite talent when he's at his best.

    He also plays a style of QB that means he is more likely to get hurt than a guy who runs less. And if we go by RBs and WRs, those elite athletic traits seem to decline faster than traditional QB traits.

    I think it's probably better for us if he leaves the division.

    But I don't think it's all that bad for us if he signs a massive deal with the Rats (he'll get a massive deal with someone).

  3. #23
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I'm voting for elsewhere, it makes the Ravens weaker and makes it easier for the Steelers to compete in the AFCN, imo. Even though the Steelers have played well against LJ that may not hold up over the long haul, I'd rather a player that dynamic play in the NFC actually, rather than the AFC. The AFC already has enough good to great quarterbacks, I'd rather face once, possibly twice in any given year.

    Pappy


    The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

    1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

    "Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount


  4. #24
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    He was also hurt (or at least "hurt") at the end of last season too.

    He's an elite talent when he's at his best.

    He also plays a style of QB that means he is more likely to get hurt than a guy who runs less. And if we go by RBs and WRs, those elite athletic traits seem to decline faster than traditional QB traits.

    I think it's probably better for us if he leaves the division.

    But I don't think it's all that bad for us if he signs a massive deal with the Rats (he'll get a massive deal with someone).
    I think when he doesn’t have the insurance of a long contract he is going to shut it down anytime he feels like it. Its not worth the risk.

    I’m just not buying he is so hurt he can’t play. Once he signs a deal I think we see him power through these injuries like Mahomes just did.

    Which is why I wouldn’t sign him to that 45
    mill tag unless we were going to work out a long term deal before camp. If he signed that tag again he will end up “hurt” again because its in his best interest to be as healthy as possible when FA starts.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



  5. #25
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    What I want to happen isn’t the same as what I think will happen.

    I think Lamar holds out and they stick the franchise on him. I think he plays 10-12 games next year and has another ‘injury’. Then he holds out to be the highest paid qb in nfl history with 100% guaranteed. I think the ravens buckle under and give it to him.

    Then I think Lamar balls out because he now has security. That lasts for a number of games. How many? Who knows? But he’s a helluva competitor and I think he’ll hang it all out there - until he gets that one hit that crushes his knee, ankle, etc. at which point the rats will be paying guaranteed money to a qb who may not have the mobility he once did.

    He may have to evolve into a pocket passer. He might even be very good at that, but I like the rats being on the hook no matter what.

    The next several years of afc north football are going to be pretty entertaining. As a fan of the game, it’s an exciting time.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  6. #26
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and I could see if the Ravens had 3 or 4 players on offense with big contracts but they have Andrews and that’s it.

    This idea that it will break the Ravens ability to retain talent is foolish IMO.

    Who would the Ravens risk losing if they signed him to big money?

    wtf? What an odd take from the leader of “ bens cap hits are killing this team”.

    how wouldn’t it effect their ability to keep or sign players they want.
    It’s almost a 40 M dollar difference in cap from his first few years to a franchise tag

  7. #27
    Banned

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    wtf? What an odd take from the leader of “ bens cap hits are killing this team”.
    See whay your dealing with? No consistency whatsoever.

  8. #28
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    The Ravens aren't stupid, otherwise LJ would already be under contract.

    They will tag him at the very least and if they feel he is 'sitting in' on games, they will look to move him at the end of the season for a handsome draft haul.

  9. #29
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    On the heels of one of many other Lamar threads, here is a poll.

    I believe that the Ravens will tag Lamar, and he plays under the exclusive tag at approx. $32M next year. But, as a Steeler fan, if it was up to you, which would you prefer?

    1) The Ravens sign Lamar to a 5 year, $230M contract - all 100% guaranteed and cap hits every year of $46M ($230M is the Deshaun contract total.

    2) The Ravens let Lamar go to sign with another team, get nothing in return except a third round comp pick next year.
    Pay the man his money. It is good for Lamar AND the Steelers.




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  10. #30
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Ravens aren't stupid, otherwise LJ would already be under contract.

    They will tag him at the very least and if they feel he is 'sitting in' on games, they will look to move him at the end of the season for a handsome draft haul.
    A fella can dream cant he?




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •