Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Receiver in Round 1 or 2?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I could see of Addison was projected as a 3rd rounder and I was hyping him up to be picked in the first but most mock drafts have him as a first round talent.

and I think Kenny is going to have good chemistry with most WR’s that he works with but its already built in day 1 with Addison. There is no learning curve as far as chemistry is concerned. Of course there are new plays for Addison to learn but I mean when plays break down or are extended (which happens a lot) Addison and Kenny’s chemistry is already there.

Even with Ben and AB it didn’t happen immediately, there was a learning curve.
    I think the learning curve with Ben and AB was mostly Arians learning that AB should play.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Huh? Every WR in college gets open in college because defenses aren’t as good as the NFL.

If he isn’t the best WR on the team then it means he will have an advantage on the defense since the best DB will be on Pickens.

That’s the whole point of having multiple weapons instead of just Pickett and DJ who runs backwards to avoid contact.
    I think you have a misguided idea that Addison is the only capable receiver available and the Steelers have to rush to grab him. I think there are many receivers coming to the NFL or who are free agents, who can do what Addison is capable of. The reason I mention wide open spaces is that I think Addison will have to make more combat type catches in the NFL than he is accustomed to and I don't think he is built to win most of those battles.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I think you have a misguided idea that Addison is the only capable receiver available and the Steelers have to rush to grab him. I think there are many receivers coming to the NFL or who are free agents, who can do what Addison is capable of. The reason I mention wide open spaces is that I think Addison will have to make more combat type catches in the NFL than he is accustomed to and I don't think he is built to win most of those battles.
    Never did I suggest he was the only one. That would be foolish. However, I personally like the idea of seeing Pickett to Addison again because it was extremely effective at Pitt. If he is available, why not consider it given how the league is set up these days? Its not like its a reach. Mocks have him going in the first round.

Its also why I added that it depends on how the draft plays out. If there is an OT that we have rated higher then Addison I would expect us to take the OT (if that is our plan) but if an OT or OG is a reach and CB’s aren’t there.. why not take Addison and then grab the OG with pick 32?

If Addison is gone by 17 I would still want and expect us to grab a WR at 32 or with our 50th? pick if there is a weapon on the board.

I personally don’t believe fixing the trenches alone will fix this offense. We still need some weapons.

and what if DJ or Pickens gets injured? Our depth is not strong. People on here said we had a great WR core and then 2 games later everyone said our WR core was trash outside of Pickens.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-09-2023 at 05:59 PM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

would he work?.....what if gentry leaves.....he blocks, has great soft hands....mismatches?......what if Muth gets concussed again

Michael Mayer

TE Notre Dame

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 251 | RAS: TBD

At 6’4 1/2″ and 251 pounds, Mayer already has the look of an NFL tight end. He puts this size and apparent functional length to good use as a dangerous pass-catching target at TE for Notre Dame. Meanwhile, he’s demonstrated impressive aptitude in multiple aspects of blocking from the position. As one of the top all-around tight end prospects we’ve seen for a long time, Mayer has a scouting report that should leave NFL scouts salivating.
    2020 MNF Exec Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by passhappy View Post
    would he work?.....what if gentry leaves.....he blocks, has great soft hands....mismatches?......what if Muth gets concussed again

Michael Mayer

TE Notre Dame

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 251 | RAS: TBD

At 6’4 1/2″ and 251 pounds, Mayer already has the look of an NFL tight end. He puts this size and apparent functional length to good use as a dangerous pass-catching target at TE for Notre Dame. Meanwhile, he’s demonstrated impressive aptitude in multiple aspects of blocking from the position. As one of the top all-around tight end prospects we’ve seen for a long time, Mayer has a scouting report that should leave NFL scouts salivating.
    I know a lot of people wouldn't be happy with a TE in Round 1, but I would be with Mayer.

he's a stud, one of the best and most complete TEs I've seen coming out of college in a long time.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hope not. We have so many holes and so few picks in this draft. top 3 picks should be in what ever the best player is available, OL, DL, ILB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
    I hope not. We have so many holes and so few picks in this draft. top 3 picks should be in what ever the best player is available, OL, DL, ILB.
    NC just posted a list of the best pass blocking OL’s and we were ranked 6th.

Someone else said the only reason we got better wasn’t due to Canada it was due to the OL blocking much better the second half of the season.

I wonder if the team thinks the OL is a glaring need like fans believe or are do they see a unit that is above average and expect it to improve with more reps and time together?

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Someone else said the only reason we got better wasn’t due to Canada it was due to the OL blocking much better the second half of the season.

I wonder if the team thinks the OL is a glaring need like fans believe or are do they see a unit that is above average and expect it to improve with more reps and time together?
    Watch the Eagles' OL closely and see if you feel the same after that. The Steelers ended up with a middle of the road OL playing against bad teams in the 2nd half. The OT are both bad at run blocking. Another year of this OL would be a tragic mistake, I think.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that the team will not see the OL as the massive need that many of us do.

I think they will see that they have 5 returning starters who are all under contract for at least next season.

I won't be surprised by an OG in the first few picks. But I don't think we'll be looking for the elite tackle that so many of us wish we had.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Watch the Eagles' OL closely and see if you feel the same after that. The Steelers ended up with a middle of the road OL playing against bad teams in the 2nd half. The OT are both bad at run blocking. Another year of this OL would be a tragic mistake, I think.
    What if I told you the Eagles had one of the easiest schedules last year while we had one of the hardest?

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ran...ength-by-other

This whole “played against bad teams”
    doesn’t hold up. The OL improved even though you don’t want to give them credit. We still played some good defenses the second half of the year.