Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do certain fans make yo root against a team?

Legend

User Info Menu

Do certain fans make yo root against a team?

Most of my life, there have been certain fans in my life that made me extra despise certain teams. Growing up in Western PA, one of those fans was oddly enough a Pats fan. And this was in the 70's-80's, before the Pats were very good, overall. They had a few years when they were decent in the 70's (Grogan, John Hannah, Mosi Tatupu), and were decent in the mid-80s, when they got clocked in the SB by the Bears in the '85 season. But the fervor of a certain neighbor made me hate the Pats. They were the kind of family that moved a lot and at one point they lived in the Boston area.

Flash forward to moving up to the North West part of PA, a certain Bills fan made me hate the Bills in the early 90's. My only pleasure was seeing them fail in 4 straight Super Bowls. But this fan made me hate them.

That brings me to today. I want KC to lose the SB because of one person: Nick Wright. He's so smug, so arrogant about the Chiefs and Mahomes.

Otherwise, I'd probably be rooting for them. (I generally don't like Philly fan at all).

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes - being in Kentucky, you find a large variety of fans from teams because there's no pro team here.
    Folks roughly my age that started watching the game in the 70's and 80's had the choice of the teams that were on TV the most - Cowboys, Steelers and later the 49ers. Geographically, the closest team is the Bengals, but that's a whole other state. Moreover, I have family in Pa...

In any event, the Cowboys fans have always acted like they expect a ring every year... and they get fussy when they don't get one.
    Looks in the mirror and says, "a fan base like that is going to come across as annoying"
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Banned

User Info Menu

Cowboys fans are the worse here in Cali; I went to watch the 49ers/Cowboys game at a sports bar. Cowboys fans walked in like their so entitled and I just watched them with a smirk on my face. I knew they were going to get popped. And of course, they did. They turned on Dak big time too. And were lamenting about not having Amari Cooper.

Raiders fans are pretty much the same way until they come out and lose the first two games every year and then they slide back into the shadows.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, when I lived in Cleveland I despised the Browns because of their fans.

Chicago? Cool group, kind of self-deprecating, very supportive, very loyal, very cool to me in my Ben jersey in 2017 at the game.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 02-02-2023 at 01:48 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Every Boston team. Those fans are the worst.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Every Boston team. Those fans are the worst.
    stands in this line. All things Boston.

Also, Kansas basketball fans. As a VCU alum Kansas fans said we weren’t even worthy of debating before the Final 8 game in the tourney. Well, after we spanked them and made the Final Four they still refused to speak to us.. lol.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post

That brings me to today. I want KC to lose the SB because of one person: Nick Wright. He's so smug, so arrogant about the Chiefs and Mahomes.

The antics of Mahome's brother and GF/wife would be enough to cause me to root against them

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    stands in this line. All things Boston.

Also, Kansas basketball fans. As a VCU alum Kansas fans said we weren’t even worthy of debating before the Final 8 game in the tourney. Well, after we spanked them and made the Final Four they still refused to speak to us.. lol.
    OH, don't go to basketball... Kentucky fans are the absolute worst. There's a certain arrogance about them re: their team that exceeds anything I've ever seen in my life
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    OH, don't go to basketball... Kentucky fans are the absolute worst. There's a certain arrogance about them re: their team that exceeds anything I've ever seen in my life
    I am not sure if the UNC hoops fan I know represents their overall group, but he's such a complete @ss in every way, that literally EVERYONE I KNOW who knows him roots for UNC to lose every single game they play. And he hates the Steelers but grew up in Pgh. He is totally in everyone's face with every game they win but hides when they lose, like right now after losing to Pitt last night. He is the ultimate in making others hate his team: complete loud mouth when they win, and NEVER beaten fair and square when they lose, it's always the refs' fault. He actually owns those toy rings for every championship they won. Oh, and he's a Yankees' fan.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Yes - being in Kentucky, you find a large variety of fans from teams because there's no pro team here.
    Folks roughly my age that started watching the game in the 70's and 80's had the choice of the teams that were on TV the most - Cowboys, Steelers and later the 49ers. Geographically, the closest team is the Bengals, but that's a whole other state. Moreover, I have family in Pa...

In any event, the Cowboys fans have always acted like they expect a ring every year... and they get fussy when they don't get one.
    Looks in the mirror and says, "a fan base like that is going to come across as annoying"
    Cowboys fans seem extra, extra bandwagon: when they were winning rings, they were every where, when they aren't - like the last 25 years - they disappear; no one wearing gear any where. Steeler fans remain pretty consistent in showing colors regardless.