X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whisper
    Legend
    • Mar 2020

The difference between Purdy and Pickett

Well, some media people are truthful, case in point.

Pgh is too damn scared to let Pickett throw to the middle of the field unless it's late in the 4th. 9 out of the top 10 highest scoring teams made the playoffs. And the 4 remaining teams all were.

KC - 1st
    Philly - 2nd
    SF - 4th
    Cinci - 7th

But we're supposed to believe we are actually gonna contend with the 26th scoring offense? Oh, you say we are going to improve there? By how much? From 18 ppg to 20? 21? That still won't get us there. If we coach as we have been, we aren't even gonna come close to contending. Not even close. Cool Shades way is FAIL, bottom line.
  • Steel Maniac
    Banned
    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by whisper
    https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/gm-r...-kenny-pickett

Well, some media people are truthful, case in point.

Pgh is too damn scared to let Pickett throw to the middle of the field unless it's late in the 4th. 9 out of the top 10 highest scoring teams made the playoffs. And the 4 remaining teams all were.

KC - 1st
    Philly - 2nd
    SF - 4th
    Cinci - 7th

But we're supposed to believe we are actually gonna contend with the 26th scoring offense? Oh, you say we are going to improve there? By how much? From 18 ppg to 20? 21? That still won't get us there. If we coach as we have been, we aren't even gonna come close to contending. Not even close. Cool Shades way is FAIL, bottom line.
    Whisper, we are stuck with Canada. So we've got to just sit back and let it happen. Let's see if we add a real weapon to go along with Pickens and then upgrade the O-line. THEN...it will be time to revisit this again. But there's no need to keep debating it. If Canada is a bum, he'll show his bumness even more this coming season. There will be no debating it then.

Comment

• Oviedo
      Legend
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Steel Maniac
      Whisper, we are stuck with Canada. So we've got to just sit back and let it happen. Let's see if we add a real weapon to go along with Pickens and then upgrade the O-line. THEN...it will be time to revisit this again. But there's no need to keep debating it. If Canada is a bum, he'll show his bumness even more this coming season. There will be no debating it then.
      C'mon...if he isn't complaining he has nothing to post
      "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Comment

• whisper
        Legend
        • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Steel Maniac
        Well, not entirely. If it is as we suspect (and confirmed by Shades' comments) it is Tomlin who is making the O more "piss your pants" scared, making Canada's play calling even more adverse to risk, as ordained by Shades himself. If that is true, and Shades is able to keep influencing the O play calling, then Canada's plays will stay similar. Oh sure, Cool Shades claimed he influenced the play calling to be extra "conservative" because Pickett was a rookie. But we shall see if that's really true, but not because of Canada's decisions, but because of Tomlins. If he remains ultra scared and conservative, it will make the OC seem so, and then, of course, he will have Canada serve as the scape goat following the 2023 season. All by Cool Shades' plan. If the Steelers remain 26th in points scored, or jump to say 20th, it's not going to matter, they will contend for nothing. But Cool Shades will be lauded for his 9-8 finish, another lackey will be restored as OC and things will remain the same. But no "losing" season for Cool Shades. And the TTTs will remain claiming Shades is on his way to "building" a team. Fools gold.

Comment

• Steel Maniac
          Banned
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by whisper
          Well, not entirely. If it is as we suspect (and confirmed by Shades' comments) it is Tomlin who is making the O more "piss your pants" scared, making Canada's play calling even more adverse to risk, as ordained by Shades himself. If that is true, and Shades is able to keep influencing the O play calling, then Canada's plays will stay similar. Oh sure, Cool Shades claimed he influenced the play calling to be extra "conservative" because Pickett was a rookie. But we shall see if that's really true, but not because of Canada's decisions, but because of Tomlins. If he remains ultra scared and conservative, it will make the OC seem so, and then, of course, he will have Canada serve as the scape goat following the 2023 season. All by Cool Shades' plan. If the Steelers remain 26th in points scored, or jump to say 20th, it's not going to matter, they will contend for nothing. But Cool Shades will be lauded for his 9-8 finish, another lackey will be restored as OC and things will remain the same. But no "losing" season for Cool Shades. And the TTTs will remain claiming Shades is on his way to "building" a team. Fools gold.
          If your suspicions are correct, it will all come out next season. I'm not ready to say Tomlin is running the offense. I would have to see more proof of it; but if that be the case, the TTTers will still support him even thou the offense remains one of the worse. Let's hope the offense gets better. We'll have a strong indication by seeing what they add (and don't add) player wise to the offense.

Comment

• feltdizz
            Legend
            • May 2008

I’m amazed.. (no, not really)

but I’m entertained at every playoff game, pass and loss being a shining example of why the Steelers suck.

Pretty sure some of you blame Tomlin for traffic on your way to work.

Do you guys watch sportcenter and scream “BUT NOT THE STEELERS BECAUSE OF TOMLIN” every time they discuss football?
            Giants 10
            Steelers 31

Comment

• whisper
              Legend
              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Oviedo
              C'mon...if he isn't complaining he has nothing to post
              A TTT response if there has ever been one. LMAO

Comment

• T.Ferguson
                Pro Bowler
                • Sep 2021

Canada isn't an NFL OC, Tomlin is super risk averse at this point and Pickett had some INTs early on in the season. Combine all 3 and there you go. I don't think the Steelers under Tomlin have any plans or even know how to develop KP into a franchise type QB, they want a total game manager, 150-180 yards a game type guy.

Best case scenario which obviously won't happen is after next season Tomlin decides to step down to take a TV gig and Steelers hire an X's and O's coach who hires a good OC for KP and the offense before it's too late.

Comment

• feltdizz
                  Legend
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by T.Ferguson
                  Canada isn't an NFL OC, Tomlin is super risk averse at this point and Pickett had some INTs early on in the season. Combine all 3 and there you go. I don't think the Steelers under Tomlin have any plans or even know how to develop KP into a franchise type QB, they want a total game manager, 150-180 yards a game type guy.

Best case scenario which obviously won't happen is after next season Tomlin decides to step down to take a TV gig and Steelers hire an X's and O's coach who hires a good OC for KP and the offense before it's too late.
                  that’s a silly assessment based on KP’s first year. I think this would make sense if it was Kenny’s 3rd or 4th year.

Declaring all is lost after his rookie year is just plain old goofy.

and I know, look at Ben’s last year.. because a 40 year old QB who could only generate 3 first down with his feet and had a whopping 5 yards before contact on the year is totally the same as a rookie with young legs.
                  Giants 10
                  Steelers 31

Comment

• T.Ferguson
                    Pro Bowler
                    • Sep 2021

Originally posted by feltdizz
                    that’s a silly assessment based on KP’s first year. I think this would make sense if it was Kenny’s 3rd or 4th year.

Declaring all is lost after his rookie year is just plain old goofy.

and I know, look at Ben’s last year.. because a 40 year old QB who could only generate 3 first down with his feet and had a whopping 5 yards before contact on the year is totally the same as a rookie with young legs.
                    Look into your heart, feltdizz, you know it to be true!!!

I don't think all is lost with KP at all but he needs better coaching, we both know it, hell, Canada probably knows it too but is too shellshocked knowing he's coming back for a third season! Has he coached anywhere longer than 2 years?

Comment

• feltdizz
                      Legend
                      • May 2008

I don't think all is lost with KP at all but he needs better coaching, we both know it, hell, Canada probably knows it too but is too shellshocked knowing he's coming back for a third season! Has he coached anywhere longer than 2 years?
                      nah.. I have too much faith in Kenny to believe he isn’t going to make that second year leap. That dude is a baller.

If it does look the same I will definitely admit I was wrong but will fans do the same if Kenny shows growth now that he is the QB entering the 2023 season?
                      Giants 10
                      Steelers 31

Comment

• Buzz
                        Legend
                        • Dec 2017

Looks like he has, three times. Never been anywhere longer than 3 years, though.

Indiana (1994–1996) Graduate assistant
                        Butler (1997) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        Northern Illinois (1998–2000) Running backs coach
                        Northern Illinois (2001–2002) Quarterbacks coach
                        Northern Illinois (2003) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        Indiana (2004) Quarterbacks coach
                        Indiana (2005–2006) Passing game coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        Indiana (2007–2010) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        Northern Illinois (2011) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        Wisconsin (2012) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        NC State (2013–2015) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        Pittsburgh (2016) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        LSU (2017) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        Maryland (2018 ) Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
                        Maryland (2018 ) Interim head coach
                        Pittsburgh Steelers (2020) Quarterbacks coach
                        Pittsburgh Steelers (2021–present) Offensive coordinator

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
                          Legend
                          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by feltdizz
                          nah.. I have too much faith in Kenny to believe he isn’t going to make that second year leap. That dude is a baller.

Comment

• hawaiiansteel
                            Legend
                            • May 2008

Andrew Fillipponi
                            @ThePoniExpress

Perfect summation of how I feel about Brock Purdy from tremendous draft analyst @ryanwilsonCBS on @937theFan: “Put him on the Colts right now and we’re saying [Brock Purdy] is Sam Ehlinger.”

Spot on.

Jan 24, 2023

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
                            Hahahahahahaha

Comment

• Shawn
                              Legend
                              • Mar 2008

Welp, if they were looking for a 150-180 yard game manager they sure found it.
                              Trolls are people too.

Comment

Working...