X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whisper
    Legend
    • Mar 2020

No to Porter Jr. in the 1st

Rating: 88.7 Rank: #4 Forty: 4.46 Joey Porter Jr. is a super-talented cornerback who has improved each and every year at college until 2022 where he played at an elite level. He brings a le...

Nothing special, other than the idea of nepotism. Not especially fast, barely had any picks at PSU. What makes him a worthy 1st round draft pick? We've already had plenty of CBs who couldn't make ints. No thanks. We need turnovers desperately with this offense.
  • TheRealTazz864
    Pro Bowler
    • Jun 2022

Originally posted by whisper
    https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/...r-CB-PennState

Nothing special, other than the idea of nepotism. Not especially fast, barely had any picks at PSU. What makes him a worthy 1st round draft pick? We've already had plenty of CBs who couldn't make ints. No thanks. We need turnovers desperately with this offense.
    But cutesy relative crap... It seems to be working so far....

Comment

• hawaiiansteel
      Legend
      • May 2008

Joey Porter Jr Draft profile

The Pittsburgh Steelers took cornerback Joey Porter with the first pick of the second round, #32 overall, Friday night in the 2023 NFL Draft. #9 Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State (R-Junior) – 6020, 194lb Measurements Player Ht/Wt Hand Size Arm Length Wingspan Joey Porter Jr. 6’2, 194lb N/A N/A N/A 40-Yard Dash 10-Yard Dash […]
      Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
      Hahahahahahaha

Comment

• Captain Lemming
        Legend
        • Jun 2008

Nothing special, other than the idea of nepotism. Not especially fast, barely had any picks at PSU. What makes him a worthy 1st round draft pick?
        The same resource you listed.
        DRAFT PROJECTION: 1ST - MID POSITION RANK: #1

We've already had plenty of CBs who couldn't make ints. No thanks.
        Actually, the last corner we had that "could not catch" was our best shut down corner since Woodson.

It is the kind of corner who helped get us rings.
        We need turnovers desperately with this offense.
        Stop it.
        We LEAD THE LEAGUE in picks. We are good at that.

We NEED somebody who can shut down a teams elite receiver like Ike did.
        sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
        The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Comment

• Captain Lemming
          Legend
          • Jun 2008

So
          1. Already slotted as a mid first value.
          2. Porters kid.
          3. Tall, long, can't catch AND Ike is a scout?

If he is there... he is OURS.
          sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Comment

• NJ-STEELER
            Legend
            • May 2008

he's knocking the ball away a lot in this clip. those are the ball skills you want in a corner. the ints are a plus for sure, but defending the pass is just as big

Comment

• whisper
              Legend
              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Captain Lemming
              So
              2. Porters kid.

Ike was a 4th round pick, but in a 1st round CB he better be fast as lightening and able to make picks. This kid is neither. Just because his Dad was a Steeler is not a reason to take him, unless you're an old fashioned, antiquated team...oh wait.

Comment

• whisper
                Legend
                • Mar 2020

The same resource you listed.
                DRAFT PROJECTION: 1ST - MID POSITION RANK: #1

Actually, the last corner we had that "could not catch" was our best shut down corner since Woodson.

It is the kind of corner who helped get us rings.

Stop it.
                We LEAD THE LEAGUE in picks. We are good at that.

We NEED somebody who can shut down a teams elite receiver like Ike did.
                OH, because he's "ranked high" that means he's a sure thing, 1st-round stud? How about Justin Gilbert? He was also ranked a 1st round, can't miss stud CB, how did he turn out? My Browns fan friends told me he was a worthless bum before we traded Cleveland for him, and guess what? They couldn't have been more right.

But just because Porter is ranked as a 1st round pick, you ASSUME he'd be a great pick, because of his dad? Son, you got a lot to learn. A 1st round CB better get you some ints. Porter has almost NONE at PSU. He's listed as barely at 4.5 speed. And for that you want us to give up our 1st round pick? Because he is from western PA and his dad is Joey? Good luck with that simple-minded philosophy.

Comment

• Chucktownsteeler
                  Legend
                  • May 2008

Porter won’t be there at #17, so no need to worry.
                  Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Comment

• whisper
                    Legend
                    • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Chucktownsteeler
                    Porter won’t be there at #17, so no need to worry.
                    Thank you, God.

Comment

• feltdizz
                      Legend
                      • May 2008

So
                      2. Porters kid.

Now that’s funny
                      Giants 10
                      Steelers 31

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
                        Legend
                        • Nov 2011

I'd take him, they need more studs on D, they've built their entire identity around TJ Watt and absolutely collapse when he's gone.

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                          Legend
                          • Jun 2008

OH, because he's "ranked high" that means he's a sure thing, 1st-round stud? How about Justin Gilbert? He was also ranked a 1st round, can't miss stud CB, how did he turn out? My Browns fan friends told me he was a worthless bum before we traded Cleveland for him, and guess what? They couldn't have been more right.

But just because Porter is ranked as a 1st round pick, you ASSUME he'd be a great pick, because of his dad? Son, you got a lot to learn. A 1st round CB better get you some ints. Porter has almost NONE at PSU. He's listed as barely at 4.5 speed. And for that you want us to give up our 1st round pick? Because he is from western PA and his dad is Joey? Good luck with that simple-minded philosophy.
                          I am not saying being ranked number one is any kind of "guarantee".

You asked "what makes him a worthy 1st round pick?"

I suggested that the people who watch and compare prospects might know more than someone who looked at a spec sheet to come to a conclusion.

4.5 speed? Really?
                          Provide the "link" where he was actually "timed" at that speed.

His dad being Joey Porter has zero to do with my actual opinion (read my history, I ALWAYS thought Joey was overated).

Just threw that out to make you crazy.
                          Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-21-2023, 11:35 AM.
                          sigpic

TCFCLTC-

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                            Legend
                            • Jun 2008

Here is what a scouting report looks like when someone WATCHES GAMES rather than base an opinion on a 4 minute glance of a stat sheet:

Prospect Summary
                            Joey Porter Jr. NFL Draft Scouting Report
                            CB, Penn State Nittany Lions
                            Penn State cornerback Joey Porter Jr. projects as an impact defender in the NFL. This is a player with surreal length and physicality on the outside and I thought he took some massive strides in 2022 by becoming a more consistent coverage defender. His leap in play and functional athleticism catapult him into the upper echelon of prospects for the 2023 NFL Draft.

Porter Jr. might be the longest cornerback you’ve ever seen. He’s got incredible reach and influence inside the contact window and at the line of scrimmage. I really appreciated the growth he showed in 2022 with his patience in that area as well; he trusted his footwork and his length to disrupt releases and force receivers to work into their stem with lateral displacement. The pop in his hands in press is significant and further helped to bubble landmarks. Porter Jr. offers effective tackling and a massive tackling radius at the catch point as well, showing plenty of juice as a striker in run support or when he’s recognizing quick game to the flats and able to shoot past blocks from skill players.

He had some crazy dominant stretches of tape this season and was rarely tested in coverage after the season opener against Purdue, in which he broke up six passes and nearly jumped an out route in zone coverage for a near interception. His ability to play around the frame of receivers and extend for the football is pretty rare and offers him plenty of value as a lockdown option or in zone. Vertically, he moves well in transition when he’s got hands on receivers and it is impressive to watch him flip his hips and carry routes. He can go stride for stride and squeeze his man outside the red line. He appeared comfortable in a series of roles, too. Penn State bumped their shell at times and we caught some glimpses of Porter Jr. as a high-post safety in deep zones against closed formations if prompted by shifts or motions and he was capable of handling those assignments and hawking deep in coverage as a back-end option. Football intelligence appears to be a strength that could afford him opportunities in multiple systems.

- Prototypical length and then some to play press-man on the perimeter

- Excellent ball skills at the catch point

- Significant growth in press technique and footwork in 2022

- Height/weight/speed athlete at a premier position
                            Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-21-2023, 11:54 AM.
                            sigpic

TCFCLTC-

Comment

• whisper
                              Legend
                              • Mar 2020

Here is what a scouting report looks like when someone WATCHES GAMES rather than base an opinion on a 4 minute glance of a stat sheet:
                              Oh yea, wow, let's look at what Justin Gilbert's pre-draft info looked like.

A big, fast, athletic, man-cover corner capable of locking down receivers and creating big plays in the return game. Is the most physically gifted cover man in this year's draft and has the athletic talent to walk into a starting job and match up
                              with big receivers from Day One
                              if he continues to work at his craft after a big payday and prepares like a pro.
                              Strengths

Outstanding size-speed ratio and athletic ability
                              Fluid movement skills -- makes it look easy flipping his hips and reacting to the thrown ball
                              Very good transitional quickness and recovery speed
                              Superb feet and agility to pop out of his breaks and close on the ball -- explosively quick
                              Natural interceptor with very good hand-eye coordination, leaping ability and overall ball skills
                              Very good vision and traffic burst as a returner (6 career kickoff-return TDs)
                              Oh, and the fact that Porter is from WPA, went to PSU and dad is Joey Porter seals the deal; nepotism is what the Steelers are all about. Not the smartest way to run a team, but here in the backwoods of WPA, shooot, Jefro, it's all we know. With that 4.47 40 time, heck, that's about 4.5 speed, SLOW for an NFL CB. But you want to use a 1st round pick on him. He did have a WHOLE one int. at PSU right?

Gilbert sounded even better than Porter, Jr. How did he turn out?

Comment

Working...